2010 Religion Census (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:26:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2010 Religion Census (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010 Religion Census  (Read 7313 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: May 05, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »

Just as a reminder, this survey counts people in the county they attend religious services, not the county where they live. That explains a bit of the randomness in the first chart, especially for states with smaller counties where plenty of people cross the county line to go to church.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks.

From the Powerpoint: "Religion Census 2010 has extensive but incomplete coverage of black protestants.  African American religious bodies have traditionally lacked resources to gather data... Data are most extensive ever aggregated for these groups on the county level, but still incomplete"
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 10:09:10 PM by Bacon King »

Counties with the highest population penetration of some major/notable religious groups:
Baha'i: 5.5% of Marion County, SC (and 10% of total adherents... huh?)
Catholic Church: 100% of Rolette County, ND
Islam: 29% of Emporia City, VA (?)
Mormons: 100.8% of Madison County, ID (lol)
Coptic Orthodox Church: 13.3% of Fairfax City, VA
Conservative Judaism: 7.4% of Fairfax City, VA
Orthodox Judaism: 19.3% of Rockland County, NY
Reform Judaism: 32.6% of Falls Church City, VA
Seventh Day Adventists: 11.4% of Walla Walla County, WA
Southern Baptist: 343.7% of King County, TX (lolol)

Also, some other observations:
  • There are 1,400 Mormon congregations in Salt Lake County, UT.
  • Pentecostal Fire-Baptized Holiness Church is kind of a badass name.
  • My hometown apparently has the country's highest proportion of adherents to the Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America, which I didn't even know existed. EDIT: and, googling the church's address, StreetView only shows a vacant lot- that I'm pretty sure was still vacant last time I was there. Huh Will have to swing by there next time I'm in the area to see if there's a church there or what.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies