2010 Religion Census (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:31:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2010 Religion Census (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010 Religion Census  (Read 7305 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: May 05, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2012, 08:14:44 PM by Torie »

Thanks for putting this up Mike. This kind of stuff always fascinates me, and I have visited upon Glenmary's work before, and appreciated it.

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks. Or something.

Oh, my favorite map which I can't find anymore, was the one where the largest plurality of a religion was put up by county excluding Catholics, which reveals the underbelly of many of the underlying divides in this nation, and its history. Suddenly, upstate NY becomes a Methodist belt (the distant echoes of the Great Awakening which had its epicenter up there to start and was John Wesley driven, with so much heat that part of it broke away and fueled Mormanism), and you get to see where the Germans settled by the Lutheran belt, and some oddities in West Virginia, and a few holdout Presbyterian counties in PA (I think Altoona in whatever county it is in might be one), and so forth. I even think the Episcopalians show up in Greenwich. Smiley

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »

It is all so complex. For example, I self describe myself as a "WASP."  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 08:34:22 PM by Torie »

Thanks so much Mike. Is that the updated map, or the old one I could not find?

Utah is clearly screwed up by the way.  Assuming LDS is "other," "other" should surely capture the whole state, along with much more of SE Idaho. Or maybe the LDS are viewed by Glenmary as "non adherents" to any religion. Tongue  Or maybe it is just a Protestant map. I guess that is it isn't it?  Indeed it is. It would have helped to look at the label of the chart!  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies