PMRC: Opinion of the political party reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:34:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PMRC: Opinion of the political party reform
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: (1) Is the Atlasian political landscape better than it was before the major parties' dissolution? (2) Would you characterize those efforts as being a "success"?
(1) Things are better

(1) Things are about the same

(1) Things are worse

(1) Don't know/no opinion

(2) The reforms have been successful

(2) The reforms have not been successful

(2) Don't know/no opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: PMRC: Opinion of the political party reform  (Read 3117 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »

I'd like to use this thread for shameless self-promotion, I am currently working on a bill that will make parties a lot more useful by changing Senate into Parliament.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »

I'd like to use this thread for shameless self-promotion, I am currently working on a bill that will make parties a lot more useful by changing Senate into Parliament.

I have to oppose such, and here's why: a parliament consists of Representatives from a party, while a congress consists of representatives from region. There's a difference between "The Senator from the IDS" and "Senator SJoyceFla of the Imperial Bloc". In the former (congress) there's representation, a sense that that individual is there to represent the people of that region. They may belong to a party, but they're there thanks to a group of people from a region. Now, with a parliament, you vote for a party, and that's what you got. They may have a district, but they're identified as party members first and representatives of constituents second.

Also, I don't like the combination of the legislative and executive inherent to a parliament, which leads to one person with power that's not easily checked. Plus, in a congress, there's lots of obstacles to passing something (committees, votes, and a presidential sign-off), where in a parliament, anything they want can just be rammed through with no formidable opposition.

Finally, a congressional system fosters dissent (Lieberman, Specter, Jeffords) in which an individual member can be at odds to their party on an issue, instead of a parliament, where MPs are basically cogs in the party machine and can only dissent in votes of conscience. I like the idea that people can make up their own minds and be punished or rewarded by the electorate, instead of by the party. This is Atlasia; we are individuals, and deserve to be treated as such.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »

I still don't know anything about any of these new parties, hence why I remain an independent.

Let's see ... you seem to be too liberal for the Whig Party, at least on economic issues (on the other hand if you're pro-life the Whig Party is not a bad fit for you). You are too conservative on social issues for the Liberal Party ... the Imperial Bloc is for Southerners only, the Moderate Party, like the Popular Liberty Party, is almost non-existent. Maybe Labor? They seem to focus more on economic than on social issues. And you are pretty left economically, aren't you?

Sounds about right.  I'll wait to hear from a representative from their party :-p
I think I can respond to this. Our mission is to defend the rights and welfare of the worker.
You should read the first few pages of our thread to learn more on what various members of the party mean by that.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=148064.45

I have to oppose such, and here's why: a parliament consists of Representatives from a party, while a congress consists of representatives from region. There's a difference between "The Senator from the IDS" and "Senator SJoyceFla of the Imperial Bloc". In the former (congress) there's representation, a sense that that individual is there to represent the people of that region. They may belong to a party, but they're there thanks to a group of people from a region. Now, with a parliament, you vote for a party, and that's what you got. They may have a district, but they're identified as party members first and representatives of constituents second.

Also, I don't like the combination of the legislative and executive inherent to a parliament, which leads to one person with power that's not easily checked. Plus, in a congress, there's lots of obstacles to passing something (committees, votes, and a presidential sign-off), where in a parliament, anything they want can just be rammed through with no formidable opposition.

Finally, a congressional system fosters dissent (Lieberman, Specter, Jeffords) in which an individual member can be at odds to their party on an issue, instead of a parliament, where MPs are basically cogs in the party machine and can only dissent in votes of conscience. I like the idea that people can make up their own minds and be punished or rewarded by the electorate, instead of by the party. This is Atlasia; we are individuals, and deserve to be treated as such.
My new proposal will keep the office of president to keep the separation of powers, and it would be pretty hard to ram any legislation through because we have a diversity of parties with a pretty divided support that means they are likely to break a coalition over an issue if they don't agree with that wasn't part of the original agreement. Parliamentary democracy would bring back competition to Atlasia. I would also like to say that  is undemocratic, because it's about the will of the people rather than interest groups. It also favors incumbents because ideologically similar areas are unlikely to punish someone for poor performance, where as parties would want to do "damage control", and if someone actually has a point when disagreeing with their party, they could form a new party and win the votes necessary to get into Parliament if there is such discontent in their party,where as the current system (IRV for at-large and regional Senators) makes it very hard to break away from a party, because the IRV elects moderates, and regions often don't match up with public sentiment.  Finally regional representation leads to regionalism and makes for Atlasia to stay as a cohesive unit. I also want to bring up a point that Tweed made in one of his videos, that we are all too friendly here, and I believe that parliamentary system would lead to more rivalries, for example look at some of the brawls that happened in British Parliament.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »

Of course. Why have a Senate when you could have this:
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »

If HappyWarrior ends up joining the Labor Party I demand to be offered honorary membership in that party! Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies