People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:50:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly?  (Read 8014 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: May 25, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »

Let me toss in my two cents (maybe worth but a cent and a half), but here goes:

I normally don't dress up for church just because I'm lazy.  Whenever I feel the energy, I will wear a suit and tie, especially on Easter, Fourth of July, and Christmas.  I actually enjoy wearing suits even more so than jeans and t-shirts.  If it weren't so darn expensive to buy several suits, I would enjoy a job as a TV News Reporter who wear suits by default.  They make me feel better about myself.

That said, I do not perceive wearing a suit as a necessity in church.  God doesn't care about what you wear on the outside, He cares more about what you look like on the inside.  His aim is to change people from the inside out, not the outside in like religion does.

At my small, Southern Baptist church, we do have one lady (my cousin) who has tattoos all over her arms, neck, and back.  She barely has any blank skin left.  I've seen her in a two-piece bathing suit and she is still covered all over, too.  The older people of my church don't care for it, but they do not condemn it.

My pastor wears a collared polo and khakis.  My music minister/youth minister will usually wear the same, but will once in a while put on a suit with a maroon shirt and a black tie.

Again, I really could care less what people wear in church, unless they are wearing a bathing suit or otherwise leaving little to the imagination.  I prefer suits for men and dresses for the ladies, but that's not a requirement in my opinion.

I know I am an old, because I prefer the older, slower hymns as opposed to the newer, faster contemporary.  *Watches BRTD cringe at the thought of older, slower hymns*
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »

Here's the part that stuck out to me:

I normally don't dress up for church just because I'm lazy.  Whenever I feel the energy, I will wear a suit and tie, especially on Easter, Fourth of July, and Christmas.  I actually enjoy wearing suits even more so than jeans and t-shirts.  If it weren't so darn expensive to buy several suits, I would enjoy a job as a TV News Reporter who wear suits by default.  They make me feel better about myself.

That said, I do not perceive wearing a suit as a necessity in church.  God doesn't care about what you wear on the outside, He cares more about what you look like on the inside.  His aim is to change people from the inside out, not the outside in like religion does.

At my small, Southern Baptist church, we do have one lady (my cousin) who has tattoos all over her arms, neck, and back.  She barely has any blank skin left.  I've seen her in a two-piece bathing suit and she is still covered all over, too.  The older people of my church don't care for it, but they do not condemn it.

My pastor wears a collared polo and khakis.  My music minister/youth minister will usually wear the same, but will once in a while put on a suit with a maroon shirt and a black tie.

Again, I really could care less what people wear in church, unless they are wearing a bathing suit or otherwise leaving little to the imagination.  I prefer suits for men and dresses for the ladies, but that's not a requirement in my opinion.

I know I am an old, because I prefer the older, slower hymns as opposed to the newer, faster contemporary.  *Watches BRTD cringe at the thought of older, slower hymns*

Since when is the Fourth of July a religious holiday?

It is a Christian holiday in the fact that it is because Christ died for us and His grace that our forefathers were able to wrestle our freedom out of the hands of the British Crown and it's because our men and women have died continue to die protecting that freedom that we are able to worship freely without fear of the government coming in and carting off us to jail or killing us (such is the case in China and many nations in the Middle East).  So, it is mandatory we give thanks to the LORD on Memorial Day and Independence Day, as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »

Here's the part that stuck out to me:

Since when is the Fourth of July a religious holiday?

It is a Christian holiday in the fact that it is because Christ died for us and His grace that our forefathers were able to wrestle our freedom out of the hands of the British Crown and it's because our men and women have died continue to die protecting that freedom that we are able to worship freely without fear of the government coming in and carting off us to jail or killing us (such is the case in China and many nations in the Middle East).  So, it is mandatory we give thanks to the LORD on Memorial Day and Independence Day, as well.

Whatdafuk?

Yes, indeed!  In fact, it is said in our church that EVERY day of the year is THANKSGIVING DAY.  The turkey only happens on one of those days, but we are to constantly give thanks to the LORD because He alone is the author of everything good in our life.  Without Him nothing would be possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies