People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:40:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly?  (Read 8030 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« on: May 07, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »

Is Barack Obama dishonoring and disrespecting the American people when he gives a speech in a suit and tie? Is he doing it to be ironic? Are lawyers being ironic when they do it in a courtroom and really trying to disrespect the judge?

It's a sign of respect and reverence in our culture. It's not the same for every culture, obviously, but in ours the suit and tie represent the seriousness of whatever occasion we don them for. Plenty of people wear jeans to my church (most wear them or some kind of khaki/polo/collared shirt combo). Nobody criticizes them for doing so, and likewise I've never heard any 20 year old get on someone's case for wearing a suit. I would also say that you can hardly judge someone's political or theological liberalism based on their attire on a Sunday. In fact, more liberal SBC churches are often more formal than the conservative ones, especially in Virginia. In other words, it really is a non-issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies