People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:14:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly?  (Read 8021 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

Like I said before, I don't really agree with it, (though I understand it's not entirely non-mainstream, I've heard of some Mennonite churches forbidding men in the ministry from wearing ties), it's just that I hate having to spend more time on getting dressed than just pulling out clothes from my clean laundry basket and that getting dressed formally gives me anxiety. In a nutshell if I have to dress up more than I would for going to a hardcore/punk/indie show, I don't want to do it. Which is actually why I sort of see dressing casually as a "liberal" thing.

If so that doesn't really reflect well on liberalism, does it, since what you're describing sounds more like a 'lazy person' thing.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Like I said before, I don't really agree with it, (though I understand it's not entirely non-mainstream, I've heard of some Mennonite churches forbidding men in the ministry from wearing ties), it's just that I hate having to spend more time on getting dressed than just pulling out clothes from my clean laundry basket and that getting dressed formally gives me anxiety. In a nutshell if I have to dress up more than I would for going to a hardcore/punk/indie show, I don't want to do it. Which is actually why I sort of see dressing casually as a "liberal" thing.

If so that doesn't really reflect well on liberalism, does it, since what you're describing sounds more like a 'lazy person' thing.

Booking or playing in these shows requires a hell of a lot more work than putting on a tie. Playing can be quite physically exhausting.

This also begs the question why anyone would wear a three piece suit to a hardcore show in the first place...

Well, that was a little snide and I'm sorry, but I'm concerned that you conflate church with hardcore shows. Then again, that might be a High/Low Church thing. Or liturgical/charismatic, or both.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »

Just out of curiosity Nathan, have you ever seen anyone with any of these at church? None strike  me as very New England WASP, even in Amherst:

-Plugs/gauges

I don't know what these are, so no.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes, but not common.

Yes, but VERY uncommon. There's I think one guy who is or once was a long-haul trucker at our church.

Not that I know of.

Not that I would ever actually have seen, but I suppose it's possible that such might exist.

Huh. I wasn't aware that was a thing, but I'm not necessarily surprised.

____

Church is different from a Christian hardcore show because the altar is an axis mundi and the priest is ceremonially marrying Heaven to Earth and Christ to the Church.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

Just out of curiosity Nathan, have you ever seen anyone with any of these at church? None strike  me as very New England WASP, even in Amherst:

-Plugs/gauges
-Hipster scarves
-Piercings anywhere than the ears
-Band shirt
-Hoodie
-Tattoos over an entire arm
-Large chestpiece or back tattoos.
-Lower back tattoo ("Tramp stamp")

I once knew a Christian hardcore girl with a Bible verse for the last one.

When I go with my family you would see me arrive in a jacket and tie and my son in a band shirt or hoodie. Nothing wrong with that from my perspective.

Yeah, there are families like that at my church too (sometimes even with the generations reversed!).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies