People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:20:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People dressing formally at church is correlated to...what exactly?  (Read 8013 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »

I always wear a tie to church- what does that mean then?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 05:54:25 PM by Severe Simfan34 »

I always wear a tie to church- what does that mean then?

It means you dishonor and disrespect God.

(OK I don't actually think that, but I know people who do.)*

What it actually means: You have crappy taste in fashion and a mindset over 30 years older than you actually are.

*But I will admit their reasoning makes a lot of sense, it can put focus on the individual, it can be to exclusion of those poor or who aren't comfortable dressing up as such, it's a shallow human-centric way of thinking, etc.

But I like the way ties look! Have you looked at GQ lately?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:29 AM »

As I've said many times, I would only wear a tie "ironically", and I don't even do that because to do so I'd have to both own and a tie and know how to tie one. There's a guy in the worship band who does that quite frequently, the only person at church I see wearing a tie.

How many times must I quote this post?

BRTD, you are an HP. Those who lambaste ties and suits are at the vanguard of the destruction of society. They are the hallmarks of civilization, of culture, and you hold a contempt for them matched only by my approbatory fervor. I respect you, but I can never like you as long as that remains your position.

Now this is an FF.

And so is this guy. It also helps the tailor is called- well, what do you think?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »

You remind of this guy I used to work with who would constantly dress like that to work just to irritate the management.

In three piece suits? Super mega FF- but wait, how well fitting were they? What were they like? Peak lapel, or notch? Double or single breasted? Three-roll-two or just plain three or two button? Single or double vented? French or barrel cuffs?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »

You remind of this guy I used to work with who would constantly dress like that to work just to irritate the management.

In three piece suits? Super mega FF- but wait, how well fitting were they? What were they like? Peak lapel, or notch? Double or single breasted? Three-roll-two or just plain three or two button? Single or double vented? French or barrel cuffs?

You think I have a clue what this stuff is?

Damn it! I wrote that in the hope you'd say just that and had a whole clever comeback planned, but I forgot what it was!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »

Mods: Can we get a fashion sub-board for BRTD?

Oh, the death points I'd rack up...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

Here's proof it's not quite a high/low church thing either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOFYmcHEIc

Although if you draw a political compass style high/low axis and liberal/conservative axis it's safe to say the liberal/low corner will be overwhelmingly casual and the high/conservative corner overwhelmingly formal, so maybe a combo of the two.

What the hell is this?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 12:05:15 AM »

Here's proof it's not quite a high/low church thing either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOFYmcHEIc

Although if you draw a political compass style high/low axis and liberal/conservative axis it's safe to say the liberal/low corner will be overwhelmingly casual and the high/conservative corner overwhelmingly formal, so maybe a combo of the two.

What the hell is this?

I still want to know... what is this heresy?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »

Church today was actually disgustingly New Rite. The music all sounded like some jazz club and they were actually clapping during the dismissal. I just left at that point. It was completely inappropriate and lacked solemnity. The only nice thing about it was the fact the deacon was smartly dressed in a traditional cassock and surplice, which was right up my alley.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »

Furthermore, I will admit some displeasure at seeing, well, uh, uncovered shoulders at church. It's not something I take exception to normally, not even at church, but I happened to be standing in front of the choir and noticed some choristers in dresses were wearing jackets or cardigans and I saw the contrast. It's strange, I'll admit, even my father asked if I had joined the Taliban when I told him.

No doubt, I'd be outright disgusted if I were to see mens' shoulders in church. I've never liked seeing t-shirts in church but I've become inured to them, although I noticed them after this and was bothered by it.

It's strange, noticing all this. I'm inclined to think I do now because mass at college is so much more... restrained. I think it has to do with the sort of college student who attends mass, particularly at a school like mine, which would lend itself to a more liturgically conservative environment.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »

That is what I thought.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies