not sure the jmfcst fits in the GOP.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:50:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  not sure the jmfcst fits in the GOP.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: not sure the jmfcst fits in the GOP.  (Read 2701 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »

I can't really find anyone in the GOP with whom I agree.

Is there anyone in the GOP willing to publically declare they would trade $10 in budget cuts for $1 in tax increases?

Is there anyone in the GOP willing to publically admit that Bush43 was very naive to believe we could bring democracy to the Muslims by overthrowing their regimes?  Is there anyone in the GOP willing to publically declare we should pull out of Afghanistan?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »

Unfortunately not, jmfcst.  Republicans have decided to separate themselves from their sensibilities.  They've tricked themselves into building their beliefs on rhetoric instead of rhetoric on beliefs.

The only hope is to walk away from the party for awhile, let it self-destruct, and try to build again on the rubble.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »

Joe Scarborough is about as close as you'll get but he ain't runnin' for anything.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »

I'd agree with all three of those...I'm also disappointed by many things my party has become but know that the alternative is worse
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »

Jon Huntsman, obviously.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »

Well there's Ron Paul for the last two.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »

Mittens does not eschew any revenue increases beyond those from more economic growth; he just does not want to raise the rates (he wants to slash the deductions).  I also think he would agree with you about overthrowing the regimes thing (although not in your view or his, perhaps they should have been overthrown (or at least the US not opposing it) for other reasons).

Some Pubs including myself want to pull out of Afghanistan at this point, or at least effecting that over a relatively short period in an orderly way.  Maybe I could be persuaded otherwise if I studied it some more, since I don't claim to have much expertise about it, but I tend to doubt it. But not many Pub politicians are willing to go there publically yet.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »

Oh boo hoo.  Your views and interests are a lot better served by your party than mine by my party.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

I think a good trade would be for every increase $1 of public spending we raise taxes on the rich by $2.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »

Is there anyone in the GOP willing to publically declare they would trade $10 in budget cuts for $1 in tax increases?
Most GOP lawmakers who might support it aren't going to say so without a specific proposal on the table because it's not a great place to negotiate from. But the Republicans who supported Simpson-Bowles such as Tom Coburn would qualify.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well yes there's quite a few. One of them is running for president.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:04 AM »

I'm sure there are Democrats, but they really shouldn't be Democrats.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »

For the second part see Ron Paul.

For the first part see every Republican on the Simpson-Bowle commite
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

For the second part see Ron Paul.

For the first part see every Republican on the Simpson-Bowle commite

the idea is to find a candidate that meets both criteria, while also being a statesman.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

O well I don't think Paul is the kind of Republican who'd be against raising taxes AT THE EXPENSE  of balencing the budget. I remember in one of is interviews he admitted that not all taxes are bad and taxes used to improve things like infrastructure were actually good.

I think why Ron Paul's so anti tax is he belives the reason the goverment has to raise taxes is always to support their out of control spending.

The difference between him and other Republicans is he realizes the idea of controlling spending whiles maintaining the inflated military budget we have is unrealistic.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »

I think a good trade would be for every increase $1 of public spending we raise taxes on the rich by $2.

That's the spirit! 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

Is there anyone in the GOP willing to publically admit that Bush43 was very naive to believe we could bring democracy to the Muslims by overthrowing their regimes?  Is there anyone in the GOP willing to publically declare we should pull out of Afghanistan?

I agree with all 3 of your points.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »

Bush 43 was worse than naive in believing he was the savior of mankind.

We should bail on Afghanistan.

$10 in tax cuts simply isn't on the table, only the $1 in tax increases. What is called a "cut" is really a reduction in the rate of increase. Noone has advocated actually cuts, save Ron Paul.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:02 AM »

Come to the good side of Power, jmfcst.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:22:48 AM »

$10 in tax cuts simply isn't on the table, only the $1 in tax increases. What is called a "cut" is really a reduction in the rate of increase. Noone has advocated actually cuts, save Ron Paul.
Government increasing with the size of economy to fullfill it's obligations is status quo. So it is a cut.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »

Haven't you been insisting for ages that you are the perfect proxy for "Generic Republican Voter"(tm), and that's why the party always nominates the candidate who you like?  So then how did you so quickly become un-representative of the party?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »

Perhaps the party has become unrepresentative of the average voter.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »

Well said!
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »

Haven't you been insisting for ages that you are the perfect proxy for "Generic Republican Voter"(tm), and that's why the party always nominates the candidate who you like?  So then how did you so quickly become un-representative of the party?

The "Generic Republican Voter" (TM) is always disappointed in the politicians he votes for( except the fictional idealization of Ronald Reagan's Presidency, of course). This is by definition; a Party increasingly dominated ideologues and demagogues is going to hate "The Establishment" no matter what, even if (maybe especially if) the Movement is the Establishment
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »

I am not out of sync with GOP voters, rather the GOP pols are out of sync with GOP voters.

GOP pols are now less pragmatic than GOP voters.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »

I am not out of sync with GOP voters, rather the GOP pols are out of sync with GOP voters.

GOP pols are now less pragmatic than GOP voters.

This is what I have been saying. jmfcst, voice of reason!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies