Ontario Liberal leadership 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:09:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario Liberal leadership 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Ontario Liberal leadership 2012  (Read 8522 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

Horwath's not that sort of person either personally or ideologically, plus that sort of dog-whistle would hurt with her core constituents.
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »

Well, I'll rejoice because of the huge landmark it is.  But I'll still be rooting for Andrea.  Unless she does resort to that "left-populist ambiguous-homophobic" rhetoric.  But I'd be highly surprised if she did, since the impression I get is that she's both morally and intellectually above that. 

As far as the ONDP and Horwath are concerned Wynne's sexuality will be a complete non-issue. What could work in the NDP's favour in the hinterlands will be more the contrast between Horwath the populist working class girl from steeltown vs: Wynne the patrician from north Toronto
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »

It won't be homophobic at all, it might be something that targets blue collar voters especially. Those voters might not want to vote for a lesbian, so might go to the NDP for economic reasons. The NDP doesn't have to do anything remotely resembling anything homophobic, they just have to target the demographic.

It makes me feel icky thinking about it, but it might be a successful strategy. The latte liberals (the "Jack Layton Liberals/McGuinty New Democrats") in Toronto are going to be more likely to stick with the Liberals now.

But who knows, as I've pointed out, Wynne got a lot of rural support in her candidacy.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »

It won't be homophobic at all, it might be something that targets blue collar voters especially. Those voters might not want to vote for a lesbian, so might go to the NDP for economic reasons. The NDP doesn't have to do anything remotely resembling anything homophobic, they just have to target the demographic.

It makes me feel icky thinking about it, but it might be a successful strategy. The latte liberals (the "Jack Layton Liberals/McGuinty New Democrats") in Toronto are going to be more likely to stick with the Liberals now.

But who knows, as I've pointed out, Wynne got a lot of rural support in her candidacy.

Any party who brings it up will pay dearly for it, but at the same time it could work in favour for both the NDP and PCs.  I doubt it will make much difference amongst blue collar workers.  Rather I think the South Asian community who tend to be left leaning on economic issues as well as the Muslim coummunity are groups who I could see going NDP over this as many are left wing economically but socially right wing.  As for the blue collar, that will largely be an NDP/PC battle although considering a high number are white males over 50, this group might vote PC in greater numbers than the province as a whole.  In many ways your wealthy university types I think are more likely to go NDP as despite their wealth, they tend to be quite progressive on most issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies