Romney begins courting Hispanic voters in key battlegrounds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:41:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney begins courting Hispanic voters in key battlegrounds
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney begins courting Hispanic voters in key battlegrounds  (Read 2668 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »

Increased border patrols with more air surveillance and strategic fencing, E-verify and amnesty for those who have been living here lawfully (don't even give me the bullsh**t about how they already broke the law). Boom, Immigration issue solved. Someone give me a medal.

Actually the economy temporary solved our immigration problem. Recently the net flow of people is the other way. I wonder if any of those Mexicans snuck back into Mexico.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:57 AM »

Increased border patrols with more air surveillance and strategic fencing, E-verify and amnesty for those who have been living here lawfully (don't even give me the bullsh**t about how they already broke the law). Boom, Immigration issue solved. Someone give me a medal.

Actually the economy temporary solved our immigration problem. Recently the net flow of people is the other way. I wonder if any of those Mexicans snuck back into Mexico.

We have every reason to believe they have. With the ebb of the tide, now is the time to impose the necessary reforms without causing too much disruption.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

The funny thing is, self-deportation is pretty harmless and logical. You've got to be verified to work in the United States. You can't be verified. You can't work, you go home. How is that such a terrible thing for Hispanics? Moreover, getting rid of their illegal pals would probably free up some jobs for legal immigrant Hispanics.
It is really? Say you illegally came to the US as a kid with your parents(through no fault of your own) and you graduated High School but now the US Government wants you to self-deport? I mean you have spent basically spent most of your life in the US. You left your homeland a long time ago and don't even know that country anymore,

I think the illegals who came here on their own should pay a fine for a pathway to citizenship and learn english or go back to their native born country.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »

McCain style or Hutchinson/Pence style?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 02:44:00 AM »

Mitt Romney took arguably the harshest line on immigration during the Republican Primary.  A candidate who is against the DREAM act, thinks undocumented immigrants should self-deport, supports Arizona's immigration law and says "I'm running for office for pete's sake, I can't have illegals" is going to fail badly with the Latino vote in 2012.  I submit the ship has already sailed and Romney's ability to attract Latino votes is irreparably damaged.  It's not like he had appeal there (or with any minorities) to begin with.

Is he going to reverse position in the general election?  That would be something we have seen many, many times before.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »

Mitt Romney took arguably the harshest line on immigration during the Republican Primary.  A candidate who is against the DREAM act, thinks undocumented immigrants should self-deport, supports Arizona's immigration law and says "I'm running for office for pete's sake, I can't have illegals" is going to fail badly with the Latino vote in 2012.  I submit the ship has already sailed and Romney's ability to attract Latino votes is irreparably damaged.  It's not like he had appeal there (or with any minorities) to begin with.

Is he going to reverse position in the general election?  That would be something we have seen many, many times before.

I somehow doubt that the GOP base will allow him to.  Especially on an issue with racial overtones as this. 
hopper
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »

I somehow doubt that the GOP base will allow him to.  Especially on an issue with racial overtones as this. 
I think there are some racial overturns with older GOP Voters but not younger ones like under age 45. The older GOP Voters didn't grow up with that much of a minority population(i.e. Latino's) around so they are not used to that kind of diversity that there is now.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »

McCain style or Hutchinson/Pence style?
Pence proposed Amnesty? Thats kind of shocking since he is a solid conservative and Indiana doesn't have a big Latino population to begin with.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies