A Kinder, Gentler Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Kinder, Gentler Party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Kinder, Gentler Party  (Read 4169 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 08:43:29 AM »

"Rhode Island, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and New York are too close to call. Though President Clinton holds a narrow lead in New York."

"We project that Powell is the winner in Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming."

New York:
Clinton: 50.0%
Clinton: 49.0%

"And we can now project that Powell has won the state of Connecticut and Missouri has gone for Mr. Powell tonight."

Powell/Kemp: 211
Clinton/Gore: 26

Minnesota:
Powell: 49.8%

Rhode Island:
Clinton: 49.8%
Powell: 49.1%

Michigan:
Powell: 50.1%
Clinton: 48.9%

Wisconsin:
Powell: 50.2%

"Looking at the map this is a tidal wave that cannot be stopped."

"It is only a matter of time before."

"And we can project that Colin Powell has won the state of Florida."

Florida:
Powell: 52.8%
Clinton: 46.0%

"And we can now project that Powell is the winner in Michigan..."

Michigan:
Powell: 50.3%
Clinton: 48.6%

Powell/Kemp: 254
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »

Almost...there....
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2012, 09:59:34 PM by NHI »

"We're back and we are speaking live to Clinton strategist James Carville who is coming to us from the victory party in Louisiana; James you are a close advisor to President Clinton, what do you gage is the feeling tonight from Little Rock?"

"Look I can try and B.S. you guy, but I won't do that. The mood is somber, the mood is somber here. This is not a great night for the Democratic Party. Republicans will retain control of Congress and look poised to win the White House, and it comes down to a simple fact: We didn't run a great campaign."

"We are already hearing talk about this being a realigning election, your thoughts?"

"I think it has the potential to be one. General Powell expanded the electorate and we've seen voter turnout up twice that of what it was in '92, so something is working tonight."

"Thank you James Carville."

"And we have a major projection to make, breaking news really. We are now calling the state of Illinois for Colin Powell. We can report history, General Colin Powell will be the 43rd President of the United States."

Powell Elected President!

Illinois:
Powell: 52.8%
Clinton: 46.0%

Powell/Kemp: 276

Time, post-election.

The Clinton, following the concession.

President-Elect Powell on Election Night. "Tonight we begin anew!"

Final Results:
Powell/Kemp: 474 (54.0%)
Clinton/Gore: 64 (44.6%)

Epilogue forthcoming...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »

This doesn't seem realistic. A relatively popular incumbent winning only 5 states and DC?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

*A revised map.

Close States:

New York:
Powell: 49.91%
Clinton: 49.76%

Tennessee:
Clinton: 49.51%
Powell: 49.44%

Minnesota:
Clinton: 49.60%
Powell: 49.59%

Louisiana:
Clinton: 49.88%
Powell: 49.69%

California:
Powell: 50.00%
Clinton: 49.40%

Hawaii:
Clinton: 50.77%
Powell: 49.30%

Oregon:
Powell: 49.66%
Clinton: 49.34%

Washington:
Powell: 49.49%
Clinton: 49.47%

Iowa:
Powell: 50.12%
Clinton: 48.77%

New Mexico:
Powell: 50.75%
Clinton: 48.25%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »

Awesome.  And IOTL, a Powell vs. Clinton poll conducted on election night 96 showed Powell would stomp slick willy 50-37, so I find the results realistic
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »

More Realistic
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2012, 05:29:07 PM by adracman42 »

While I understand its purpose for the sake of the timeline, I do think that, no matter how awesome Powell's campaign might have been, this is a huge margin for a reasonably popular incumbent to lose by. I like liberaljunkie's map.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »

Trollolol on this timeline
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »

While I understand its purpose for the sake of the timeline, I do think that, no matter how awesome Powell's campaign might have been, this is a huge margin for a reasonably popular incumbent to lose by. I like liberaljunkie's map.

That may be the case, but it's not polite to post maps, etc. on someone else's TL.  I didn't know this at first, but it's just forum etiquette in case you guys didn't know
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2012, 01:50:02 PM by adracman42 »

That may be the case, but it's not polite to post maps, etc. on someone else's TL.  I didn't know this at first, but it's just forum etiquette in case you guys didn't know

That makes a lot of sense. It's good for unspoken etiquette like that to exist.
Our bad then.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 08:20:22 AM »

That makes a lot of sense. It's good for unspoken etiquette like that to exist.
Our bad then.

No worries.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

Epilogue:

President Powell's first term was largely a success. Along with a balanced budget and surplus that was reached by his reelection, Powell also oversaw the restructure of the entitlement programs, as well as a series of a tax cuts to help spur the economy. Powell also scored a major foreign policy victory, in late 1998 he authorized a CIA mission that killed Osama Bin Laden; a death that crippled the terrorist organization; Al Qaeda. With the economy booming and relative stability in the world Powell could campaign on his record in 2004 and easily defeated Senator Joe Biden in the biggest landslide in history.

Powell/Kemp: 532 (61.7%)
Joe Biden/Jeanne Shaheen: 6 (36.9%)

Powell's second term got off to a great start. With continuing economic growth Republicans, and even Democrats touted it was Morning in America, and it's here to stay. The economic prosperity continued throughout Powell's second term. Domestically things stayed stable, on the international stage times were changing. Middle Eastern nations such as Iraq and Egypt went through a series of revolutions that drove out of power there respective leaders; Saddam Hussein and Hosni Mubarak.
Powell supported the leaderships changes that spread through the region and spoke of it, "The fruits of Democracy are too good to resist."

Powell's approval ratings remained relatively high which helped 2004 Republican nominee John McCain score a victory over his Democratic challenger and former Vice President Al Gore. Powell left office with a booming economy and approval rating of 61%. By all accounts he is viewed as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

John McCain/Jeb Bush: 439 (57.3%)
Al Gore/John Kerry: 99 (40.9%)

Pres. McCain largely continued the same policies of Powell and was a successful president in his own right. However the economy experienced a small downturn in 2007-2008, and while McCain put up a good fight, ultimately he was defeated by Arkansas governor and former wife of Pres. Bill Clinton, Hillary Rodham.

Hillary Rodham/Brian Schweitzer: 284 (50.1%)
John McCain/Jeb Bush: 254 (48.4%)

Rodham's victory was historic, not only was she the first woman ever elected President, but she divorced her husband in in 1998, and became the first non-married president since James Buchanan. Rodham's Presidency saw the end of the twelve year Republican rule that many thought with never end. Her victory also brought the Democrats back into the majority in Congress. America took took a step to the left beginning with her presidency, but when the Democrats lost their majorities in '10, Rodham, much like her husband recanted and moved back to the center and governed as a middle of the road Democrats; much to the ire of the liberal base of her party.

Nevertheless Rodham saw major accomplishments that included a reform to the nation's health care system, a new welfare reform, and skirmish in Iran that drove Mahmoud Ahmadinejad out of power. Rodham, a polarizing figure in her first two years was now beloved by the American people.

Presidents of the United States: 1997-present
Colin Powell: 1997-2005
John McCain: 2005-2009
Hillary Rodham: 2009-

Look for a future timeline about the political career of Hillary Rodham...
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »

Looking forward to a continuation of this TL!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies