Obama beats a federal prisoner by less than 20% in the West Virginia D. Primary.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:49:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama beats a federal prisoner by less than 20% in the West Virginia D. Primary.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Obama beats a federal prisoner by less than 20% in the West Virginia D. Primary.  (Read 8825 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »

I'm confused why Prisoner Dude won Hardy County.  It had a greater swing toward Obama in '08 than the nation as a whole.  Although it was also John Edwards's best county in the primary (16%) and among Obama's worst (43rd of 55).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »

did their Great-Great-Grandfathers registered them as democrats in about 1868 and no one has bothered to switch? LOL. The Union dynamic is interesting.  These are the people the democrats are orphaning off and the republicans are slowly gobbling them up.         

I don't think they are Civil War-era Democrats, I think it's mostly a 20th century phenomenon. It's more like the Iron Range than like Mississippi (but not much like either.)

The only difference being that voters in the iron range still came out for Obama and supported him about as much as any other democratic presidential candidate. Obama still dominated this region in 2008 and there was no swing against him as there was in WV.

WV Coal and MN Iron democrats may be similar, but only one group wasn't terrified by the color of his skin and his name.
but another difference is that the Iron Range didn't swing against Kerry in 2004.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »

Also, why would Obama be doing worse in West Virginia if he's doing better in Kentucky?
I meant to compare to rural/republican Kentucky that elects republican federal officers and state legislators.   
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »

I'm confused why Prisoner Dude won Hardy County.  It had a greater swing toward Obama in '08 than the nation as a whole.  Although it was also John Edwards's best county in the primary (16%) and among Obama's worst (43rd of 55).
did their Great-Great-Grandfathers registered them as democrats in about 1868 and no one has bothered to switch? LOL. The Union dynamic is interesting.  These are the people the democrats are orphaning off and the republicans are slowly gobbling them up.         

I don't think they are Civil War-era Democrats, I think it's mostly a 20th century phenomenon. It's more like the Iron Range than like Mississippi (but not much like either.)

The only difference being that voters in the iron range still came out for Obama and supported him about as much as any other democratic presidential candidate. Obama still dominated this region in 2008 and there was no swing against him as there was in WV.

WV Coal and MN Iron democrats may be similar, but only one group wasn't terrified by the color of his skin and his name.
but another difference is that the Iron Range didn't swing against Kerry in 2004.
I'll repeat that
the state dem party maneuvers into the best position it can, which to an outsider looks like the GOP platform.
Thus,
you get odd results in a national race that does not require a state party organisation.     
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »

I don't understand your reply.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »

I don't know what you don't understand so I would need you to help me help you in order to help you... 

As for Hardy county,
3,000 voters who vote
65% for Robert Byrd and
70% for George W. Bush 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »

I don't know what you don't understand so I would need you to help me help you in order to help you... 

As for Hardy county,
3,000 voters who vote
65% for Robert Byrd and
70% for George W. Bush 

"I'll repeat that
the state dem party maneuvers into the best position it can, which to an outsider looks like the GOP platform.
Thus,
you get odd results in a national race that does not require a state party organisation.     "

I'm not sure how this is a reply to what I said...mis-quote?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »

I'm confused why Prisoner Dude won Hardy County.  It had a greater swing toward Obama in '08 than the nation as a whole.  Although it was also John Edwards's best county in the primary (16%) and among Obama's worst (43rd of 55).

That area in the northeast of the state, which is traditionally Republican and agricultural, has a small but growing population of transplants from the DC area who are more affluent than the local population. The combination of numbers you cite suggests that some of them voted for Obama but are not participating in Democratic primaries, perhaps due to the state's closed primaries.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2012, 07:43:52 PM »

I'm confused why Prisoner Dude won Hardy County.  It had a greater swing toward Obama in '08 than the nation as a whole.  Although it was also John Edwards's best county in the primary (16%) and among Obama's worst (43rd of 55).

That area in the northeast of the state, which is traditionally Republican and agricultural, has a small but growing population of transplants from the DC area who are more affluent than the local population. The combination of numbers you cite suggests that some of them voted for Obama but are not participating in Democratic primaries, perhaps due to the state's closed primaries.
They have a transplanted Quad Graphics plant in that area as I recall.

Alcon, I thought I might spark some broad insight into the dynamic, but I now guess/realize you are just asking a specific question about the specific county.       
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »

Ahh, I understand now.  Sorry AN -- didn't mean to shoot you down; I was interpreting too narrowly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »

Why is Manchin so lame? Rockefeller is certainly no liberal, but there's a huge ideological gap between the two.
Manchin intends to be President of an independent West Virginia one day.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »

I'm confused why Prisoner Dude won Hardy County.
John Hardy was a desperate little man, he carried a razor [later versions: two guns] every day.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »

Okay, came across this little gem about Judd's policy positions:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And there you have it. The guy got 40% of the vote without a campaign budget because his economic policy ideas are infinitely closer in line with the average voter than Obama's and Romney's.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies