Obama endorses gay marriage.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama endorses gay marriage.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Obama endorses gay marriage.  (Read 7203 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/05/will-obama-finally-endorse-gay-marriage-abc-news/52110/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, polls showed that large majorities of Americans thought Obama support gay marriage anyway, so I doubt the political impact's as major as some were expecting - either positive or negative. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »

That's not really an endorsement.  Just some waffling about how the younger generation has no problem with it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »

The NEW! fully "evolved" Barack Obama!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

That's not really an endorsement.  Just some waffling about how the younger generation has no problem with it.

The full quote's in the link, but the most relevant part is "I think same-sex couples should be able to get married". Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »

To be honest, I find it both weak and opportunist. Supporters of gay marriage should be hurt, as I am, that Obama came "a day late and a dollar short", quite literally, in the effort to advance the cause, most recently after the defeat in North Carolina. Now, he is only no longer to the right of Dick Cheney. Is this the "audacity" and "change" we were promised?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »

To be honest, I find it both weak and opportunist. Supporters of gay marriage should be hurt, as I am, that Obama came "a day late and a dollar short", quite literally, in the effort to advance the cause, most recently after the defeat in North Carolina. Now, he is only no longer to the right of Dick Cheney. Is this the "audacity" and "change" we were promised?

I'm fine with his decision. I understand how politically difficult it was for him and perhaps personally too. Better late than never is always fine by me. Romney however makes me feel a little sick given that he's trying to pretend he opposes it.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »

I'm fine with his decision. I understand how politically difficult it was for him and perhaps personally too. Better late than never is always fine by me. Romney however makes me feel a little sick given that he's trying to pretend he opposes it.

But isn't making risky and bold decisions what leadership is all about? He should have come out two days ago.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2012, 02:40:32 PM by Intellectual Extremist »

About damn time.

Frankly, given his image, I don't see how endorsing gay marriage would've had a damn on his ratings.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

About damn time.

Frankly, given his image, I don't see how endorsing gay marriage would've had a damn on his ratings.

Exactly.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »

I was just going to get irritated by your rote spamming, but I just checked out your recent post history, and concluded you probably don't care one way or another.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

Masterful.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »

What makes you think that Obama was genuine in opposing it and Romney isn't? 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »

I never said that. Obama has privately supported gay marriage for a long time. I have no idea what Romney thinks other than he tries to pretend he's went into reverse, alongside everything else he used to believe in.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »

Never change, FOX.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

I never said that. Obama has privately supported gay marriage for a long time. I have no idea what Romney thinks other than he tries to pretend he's went into reverse, alongside everything else he used to believe in.

Obama also supported gay marriage before he was against it before he was for it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/13/obama-once-supported-same_n_157656.html

Really, he's no better than Romney here.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

Except in the sense that Obama's of the opinion that all Americans deserve equal rights, and Romney believes the opposite.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »

Except in the sense that Obama's of the opinion that all Americans deserve equal rights, and Romney believes the opposite.

I'm talking about switching positions. That's obstinacy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

Obama handled this well.

Today, the headline is "Obama endorses gay marriage," not NC.

If he'd come out two days earlier, it would have been "Amendment 1 wins by landslide despite Obama's announcement."

I'm much happier with the first one.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »

I'm talking about switching positions. That's obstinacy.

There is not a single politician alive who has not switched positions on something at some point. Flexibility is no vice.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

The NEW! fully "evolved" Barack Obama!
that may have been my favorite obama moment. even better that he kept up his opposition for so long after it became known he had supported it before. i guess he devolved at some point?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »

So when Romney pretends not to support it, it makes you sick, but when Obama pretended not to support it that wasn't so bad?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

So when Romney pretends not to support it, it makes you sick, but when Obama pretended not to support it that wasn't so bad?

Let me draw you a diagram

America ------------------------------------------------> Gay Marriage
Obama -------------------------------------------------> Gay Marriage
Romney <------------------------------------------------ Gay Marriage
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »

you can't seriously believe that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!