Obama endorses gay marriage. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:52:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama endorses gay marriage. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama endorses gay marriage.  (Read 7342 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: May 09, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »

Right NY Jew...they oppose "immoral, perverted behavior" but defeated a vote to disallow the "immoral perverts" to have domestic partnership rights.  A lot of people are ambivalent about the gay marriage issue -- as a public policy matter, that's unfathomable to me, but whatever -- but your specific issue has been out of the mainstream for years.  Best of luck.

I think the latest polling was 50-48, so it's not mainstream.

It will cost Obama a few states, NC, maybe VA and OH.

Hardly extreme either...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »

VA is actually safe Obama after this move.

How so?  Isn't Virginia still an anti-gay state?

Seems questionable to me too, but it a matter of counting the noses that will flip. Many blacks who loathe gays and think they should be burned at the stake, to put it hyperbolically, will vote for Obama anyway. So maybe a case could be made. It would take quite a bit of work however. And oh, conversely, I'm not a potential Obama vote this time, even if he announces he's gay himself, going the other way. So some of those Reston folks who say thanks, what took you so long, won't be changing their vote either.

The issue isn't whether or not VA is pro or anti-gay... the issue is a) whether it's enough to stop them voting for Obama (if that was their intention) b) will support be strong enough in places to counter the likely drop off in others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies