Obama endorses gay marriage. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:06:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama endorses gay marriage. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama endorses gay marriage.  (Read 7355 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »

To be honest, I find it both weak and opportunist. Supporters of gay marriage should be hurt, as I am, that Obama came "a day late and a dollar short", quite literally, in the effort to advance the cause, most recently after the defeat in North Carolina. Now, he is only no longer to the right of Dick Cheney. Is this the "audacity" and "change" we were promised?

I'm fine with his decision. I understand how politically difficult it was for him and perhaps personally too. Better late than never is always fine by me. Romney however makes me feel a little sick given that he's trying to pretend he opposes it.
What makes you think that Obama was genuine in opposing it and Romney isn't? 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »

To be honest, I find it both weak and opportunist. Supporters of gay marriage should be hurt, as I am, that Obama came "a day late and a dollar short", quite literally, in the effort to advance the cause, most recently after the defeat in North Carolina. Now, he is only no longer to the right of Dick Cheney. Is this the "audacity" and "change" we were promised?

I'm fine with his decision. I understand how politically difficult it was for him and perhaps personally too. Better late than never is always fine by me. Romney however makes me feel a little sick given that he's trying to pretend he opposes it.
What makes you think that Obama was genuine in opposing it and Romney isn't? 

I never said that. Obama has privately supported gay marriage for a long time. I have no idea what Romney thinks other than he tries to pretend he's went into reverse, alongside everything else he used to believe in.
So when Romney pretends not to support it, it makes you sick, but when Obama pretended not to support it that wasn't so bad?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »

VA is actually safe Obama after this move.

How so?  Isn't Virginia still an anti-gay state?

Uh yeah, last poll I saw was like 2-1 against.  A bunch of liberals on this site have the bizarre impression that Virginia is the new Connecticut, however.

(A state's views on gay marriage is essentially a function of the number of white liberals, which VA still lags pretty far behind on).
here's the referendum from 2006 that won 57%.

considering both that it banned civil unions, and that there has been in all likelihood a move toward greater acceptance of gay marriage since then, I'd say its probably in the range of 3:2 against among those who have an opinion on the matter (which a lot of people who vote in presidential elections probably don't).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies