Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:58:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 32745 times)
ajb
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Hispanics will remain in the Democratic column, simply for the fact that they don't vote for candidates based on social issues like this.

Obama already supported civil unions, this is just an upgrade in position. Really, it's not like he was hardcore social conservative on the issue.
Also, the poll I cited upthread suggests a plurality of Hispanics support same-sex marriage anyway. Opposition is also heavily concentrated among Hispanic evangelicals, who aren't likely to vote for Obama, anyway.
ajb
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »

Santorum's response:

“The announcement today by President Obama should come as no surprise to the American public.  President Obama has consistently fought against protecting the institution of marriage from radical social engineering at both the state and federal level.  The President recently opposed the North Carolina constitutional amendment and, of course, he refused to defend President Clinton’s Defense of Marriage Act before the U.S. Supreme court.  The charade is now over, no doubt an attempt to galvanize his core hard left supporters in advance of the November election.

Thankfully the American public, when it has had an opportunity to consider the real world consequences of such a fundamental change to our society, has consistently voted for maintaining one man one woman marriage - the basic building block of our society.  I will continue to fight to make sure that the cultural elites don’t further undermine the institution that gives the best opportunity for healthy, happy children and a just and prosperous society.” 

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/santorum-responds-to-obama-charade-is-now-over

Compare this to what Romney said. This is what would motivate base turnout. Can anyone seriously imagine Romney as a compelling messenger for this argument?

It might motivate base turnout, but how are suburban swing voters going to react to that? How about white collar/economically oriented voters? Those are the votes Romney needs, and the GOP also needs to expand beyond that base and build a new one. Which is why I say we really need to move on from this issue.
Which is why this is probably, on balance, a win for Obama. It motivates parts of his base, while Romney's not the best messenger for motivating the conservative base on the issue, and will likely hold back for strategic reasons. Romney won't give Obama a big culture-wars showdown on the issue.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

Lovely.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

The bigots in this thread who think this hurts Obama are funny.

Very welcome news though. I'm glad I can say I voted for the first president to support marriage equality.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »

Very welcome news though. I'm glad I can say I voted for the first president to support marriage equality.

Worth noting Gerry Ford (damn I miss him) pretty much came out in favour of gay marriage before his death. What a steaming pile of sh**t the GOP has become since his day.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »

It will be great when society moves off this issue, but the liberals are simply going to keep inventing new minorities. Homosexuals, transexuals, don't tell me this ain't a slippery slope.

It's the minorities who are 'inventing' themselves, thank you, and...I mean, no, this isn't a slippery slope, or at least there's no reason why it has to be. Why should it be? We've been in the process of reevaluating the issue of gender roles and their implications, which is a specific issue and not some sort of locus of unrelated affairs, for a couple of centuries now.

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Hispanics support gay marriage at about the same rate as non-Hispanic whites these days.

"Gender roles", another ridiculous term. People can't change gender roles, people also don't define them. Those gender roles exist because of human nature, and people aren't going to change that, no matter how much they try to manipulate it.
As I understand this, you support women going back to the kitchen?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

It will be great when society moves off this issue, but the liberals are simply going to keep inventing new minorities. Homosexuals, transexuals, don't tell me this ain't a slippery slope.

It's the minorities who are 'inventing' themselves, thank you, and...I mean, no, this isn't a slippery slope, or at least there's no reason why it has to be. Why should it be? We've been in the process of reevaluating the issue of gender roles and their implications, which is a specific issue and not some sort of locus of unrelated affairs, for a couple of centuries now.

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Hispanics support gay marriage at about the same rate as non-Hispanic whites these days.

"Gender roles", another ridiculous term. People can't change gender roles, people also don't define them. Those gender roles exist because of human nature, and people aren't going to change that, no matter how much they try to manipulate it.

No. However, I do recognize that women are better suited to be homemakers then men.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »

No. However, I do recognize that women are better suited to be homemakers then men.
Never mind the fact that best chefs are male.

Back on topic: I think this will actually make Obama more electable, minorities will vote for him anyway, but more of those Suburban country-club Virginia & Colorado voters are more likely to vote for him.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »

Hell, why stop there? They're also better suited to be priestly elites who control the domestic policy of the Kingdom of Wa while the menfolk go out and do diplomacy with the Empire Beyond the Sunset; slutting around as suits their womanly concupiscence while the chaste manly men do philosophy; do reaping as opposed to sowing because a woman's place is at the harvest whereas a man's is at the seeding; do sowing as opposed to reaping because a woman's place is at the seeding whereas a man's is at the harvest; fighting with spears instead of swords because spears are womanly and swords are manly; on the moon rather than the sun because the sun is obviously Hyperion and masculine while the moon is obviously Selene and feminine; on the sun rather than the moon because the sun is obviously Amaterasu and feminine while the moon is obviously Tsukuyomi and masculine...
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »

no of course not. the youths will hold their noses and young people already were firmly in his column.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2012, 07:21:22 AM by Sen. Big DaddyPA »

why are you so interested in the subject?
ajb
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2012, 07:21:43 AM by Sen. Big DaddyPA »

To exactly the extent that Mitt Romney believes in "domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the like" in such cases.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »

I'm honestly a little stunned he did it so soon.

I think the dems here need to be realistic about the possible risks to Obama from this position, however, he wouldn't have made such a move unless the risks had been considered.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »

no of course not. the youths will hold their noses and young people already were firmly in his column.

I've lost count of the number of moderately conservative/centrist ex-Republicans I've encountered, either as Independents or Democrats.

The most common reason for the "ex" designation?

Answer: The Religious Right or "religious extremists", etc.

These are the swing voters Romney desperately needs to win. The Religious Right peaked in its influence, and is actually, in many ways, in decline. This may be Santorum's Republican Party, but this sure as hell ain't Santorum's America.

For every fundamentalist Christian voter that votes against Obama, a Democrat and a swing voter vote against Romney. And with the economy holding ground, Romney's history of gaffes ("Even Jimmy Carter would have made that order", etc.), Romney's complete lack of connection with the common people, plus his unreliable messaging and perceived indifference to issues like women's rights or the plight of the lower and middle class Americans, not to mention Romney's myriad problems with his own party, I think Obama made a political masterstroke as well as a strong moral statement with his endorsement of same sex marriage.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

wow that joke went over your head. ill give you a hint: the media uses it as a euphemism lately.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

I think the dems here need to be realistic about the possible risks to Obama from this position, however, he wouldn't have made such a move unless the risks had been considered.

I was a little worried about the potential downsides, too - doesn't really matter if he supports gay marriage if it loses him re-election and Mitt Romney passes a constitutional amendment to ban it federally - but polls show large majorities thought Obama backed it anyway, so I'm hopeful it won't have much negative impact politically.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »

wow that joke went over your head. ill give you a hint: the media uses it as a euphemism lately.

Oops, sorry. Tongue

But at least I got a good post in, no?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »

I was a little worried about the potential downsides, too - doesn't really matter if he supports gay marriage if it loses him re-election and Mitt Romney passes a constitutional amendment to ban it federally - but polls show large majorities thought Obama backed it anyway, so I'm hopeful it won't have much negative impact politically.

It could also be that they're giving the Republicans enough rope to hang themselves with-Obama had to have known that this would really  fire up the Christian Warrior Troops of the GOP against him.

But since Romney is seen as being a "moderate" by some Independents, the Religious Right rallying to Romney's side will make Independents (who generally detest the religious side of the Republican Party) more wary of Romney.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »

Good. Obama's taking a minority stance on this issue, and this could be something Romney needs to fire up conservatives. Also, this takes away Obama's ability to attack Romney for being a flip-flopper without looking like a complete hypocrite.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »

Good. Obama's taking a minority stance on this issue, and this could be something Romney needs to fire up conservatives. Also, this takes away Obama's ability to attack Romney for being a flip-flopper without looking like a complete hypocrite.

But....isn't the poor economy (caused by the EVULLL MARXISSST incumbent) the primary concern of conservatives?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2012, 05:14:30 PM by Politico »

Wonderful Smiley

Romney's 180 turn on this will make for an interesting topic come the debates.
I don't think he's turning anymore; I think he's just become an amorphous blob:

Moderator: Do you support gay marriage?

Obama: Yes.

Romney: Well, um, uh, well, I, um, certainly support the, um, gay and lesbian, um, well...I'd like to pass on this one, Bob.

Moderator: President Obama, why did you change your opinion on gay marriage?

Obama: Well-uh-I-uh-where's my teleprompter?

Romney: Flip-flopping on gay marriage isn't going to help the economy.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

See, this is what I mean. We have to make Obama look like the Democrats we defeated back in the early 2000s. Out of touch, liberal/radical, and use it to persuade swing voters who voted for George Bush and Barack Obama.

By this gay marriage backing, and dipping his toe into the Treyvon Martin "tragedy", and hopefully the Supreme Court striking down Obamacare this Summer, we can exploit Obama as the radical, something the McCain campaign was reluctant to do.

Ahhh Lee Atwater...where are you when we need you?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »

Moderator: President Obama, why did you change your opinion on gay marriage?

Obama: Well-uh-I-uh-where's my teleprompter?

Romney: Flip-flopping on gay marriage isn't going to help the economy.

Mitt, is that you? Why are you posting on message boards?
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »

See, this is what I mean. We have to make Obama look like the Democrats we defeated back in the early 2000s. Out of touch, liberal/radical, and use it to persuade swing voters who voted for George Bush and Barack Obama.

By this gay marriage backing, and dipping his toe into the Treyvon Martin "tragedy", and hopefully the Supreme Court striking down Obamacare this Summer, we can exploit Obama as the radical, something the McCain campaign was reluctant to do.

Because supporting marriage equality is a 'radical' thing to do.... okay yeah
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »

Ahhh Lee Atwater...where are you when we need you?

He's probably still there where you left him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies