Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:36:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 32748 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:25 AM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, the Republicans could have exploited this issue to get more support with working class Hispanics but then you guys f'ed up with the AZ immigration law and similar laws that have been passed by Republicans across the country. Gays marrying will be less of an issue for Hispanic than one of the major parties race baiting using them to win votes. Haha, it will be fun watching you guys get punished for your bigotry.

Except that same-sex marriage is approximately as popular with Hispanic voters as it is with white voters.

Yes, after you factor in Southern whites that is probably true. The difference being those whites wouldn't vote Democrat in any case, whereas some Latino voters who oppose gay marriage probably do. There is a chance Latino voters could be turned off by this, but race baiting by the Republicans will take precedence over this issue for sure. And African Americans are so loyal to the Democrats and especially to Obama that I don't see them flipping over this either. Latinos are swing voters without strong loyalties but the idiot Republicans changed that. I hope they get punished. I really do. Bigotry must not be tolerated.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2012, 02:14:30 AM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, the Republicans could have exploited this issue to get more support with working class Hispanics but then you guys f'ed up with the AZ immigration law and similar laws that have been passed by Republicans across the country. Gays marrying will be less of an issue for Hispanic than one of the major parties race baiting using them to win votes. Haha, it will be fun watching you guys get punished for your bigotry.

Except that same-sex marriage is approximately as popular with Hispanic voters as it is with white voters.

Yes, after you factor in Southern whites that is probably true. The difference being those whites wouldn't vote Democrat in any case, whereas some Latino voters who oppose gay marriage probably do. There is a chance Latino voters could be turned off by this, but race baiting by the Republicans will take precedence over this issue for sure. And African Americans are so loyal to the Democrats and especially to Obama that I don't see them flipping over this either. Latinos are swing voters without strong loyalties but the idiot Republicans changed that. I hope they get punished. I really do. Bigotry must not be tolerated.

Winner.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2012, 02:29:10 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2012, 02:31:26 AM by Adam Griffin »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

"A fall poll put Hispanic Catholic support of same-sex marriage at 42 approve, 42 disapprove. Hispanics as a whole haven’t been polled on the question recently, but a 2009 Pew poll had the Latino community fairly evenly divided on the question of same-sex marriage, with 45 percent in favor and 49 percent opposed. And an April survey showed that 59 percent of Latinos said homosexuality should be accepted by society, but it did not ask about gay marriage specifically."

Half of all Americans backed gay marriage in the 2012 Gallup’s 2012 gay marriage poll, released Tuesday. Democrats and independents drove the increase, with 65 percent of Democrats backing the practice and 57 percent of independents throwing their support behind it.

I also heard on the Ed Show tonight that 55% of whites support same-sex marriage, while 45% of African-Americans support it, but I'm not sure how accurate those numbers actually are.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »

Here's the point. Of the whites who oppose gay marriage, the large majority are already voting Republican. That is not necessarily true of Latinos and certainly not true with Blacks. If Latinos are voting 2:1 or 3:1 for Obama while being split on gay marriage, obviously there is a lot of pro-Obama and anti-gay marriage overlap. The question is whether this will affect the vote of many of them, but imho it won't.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2012, 02:39:20 AM »

Here's the point. Of the whites who oppose gay marriage, the large majority are already voting Republican. That is not necessarily true of Latinos and certainly not true with Blacks. If Latinos are voting 2:1 or 3:1 for Obama while being split on gay marriage, obviously there is a lot of pro-Obama and anti-gay marriage overlap. The question is whether this will affect the vote of many of them, but imho it won't.

It's very unlikely there will be any shifts in the African-American community. Turnout might be down some, but I highly doubt the % of the AA vote for Obama is going to drop more than 1-2 points. Obama - pre-evolution - probably was realistically sitting at 75% with Latinos. Even if it drops to 65%, he'll be alright. He's got plenty of leeway and he knows it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:32 AM »

I highly doubt it will drop that much with Latinos. I don't think it will be more than a couple points, and that too due to decreased turnout rather than them voting for Romney. And with Blacks I suspect no change at all.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2012, 03:12:59 AM »

So he finally got tired of being to the right of Andrew Cuomo?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2012, 03:21:36 AM »

So he finally got tired of being to the right of Andrew Cuomo?
I don't think Obama wants to cut taxes as much as Cuomo does.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:03 AM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2012, 05:05:43 AM »

Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2012, 05:29:08 AM »

This won't hurt him; most swing voters already think he supports same-sex marriage.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

"A fall poll put Hispanic Catholic support of same-sex marriage at 42 approve, 42 disapprove. Hispanics as a whole haven’t been polled on the question recently, but a 2009 Pew poll had the Latino community fairly evenly divided on the question of same-sex marriage, with 45 percent in favor and 49 percent opposed. And an April survey showed that 59 percent of Latinos said homosexuality should be accepted by society, but it did not ask about gay marriage specifically."

Evenly divided, but I assume a lot of them are young, as younger people regardless of religion, ethnicity, etc. are going to be pro-gay marriage. Hispanics are younger than average of the US population so this is why you are seeing an evenly divide.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »

After the election, Obama divorces Michelle and moves in with "body man" Reggie Love.

I see... that's the only reason why he'd support SSM?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »

He shot himself in the foot. Every person who was an Obama support at my work today said they aren't going to vote for him and just stay home.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »

He shot himself in the foot. Every person who was an Obama support at my work today said they aren't going to vote for him and just stay home.

Mm-hmm. Where do you work?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »

After the election, Obama divorces Michelle and moves in with "body man" Reggie Love.

I see... that's the only reason why he'd support SSM?

No.  He also needs the money and other support he'll get now from Hollywood and the other holders of the megaphones of U.S. culture.

Oh ... I'm sorry, I clearly had the wrong idea about you. Thanks for the clarification!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »

I love this post
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »

It's probably ill-advised to make grammatical errors in 30-point bold red.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »

Moral issues trump racial identity. This will bite Obama in the hindquarters amongst AA's and Latinos for sure. He just lost Indiana, West Virginia, made his life harder in Virginia, North Carolina, and possibly Ohio, Colorado, Missouri, and Florida.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »

They....no. They really don't.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How many times must we remind you that Hispanics support gay marriage at about the same rate as whites? Are you really laboring under the delusion that Obama will sink below ~92% with blacks on account of this?!

He didn't 'just' lose West Virginia, and Indiana was doubtful anyway.

Sure.
ajb
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »

Moral issues trump racial identity. This will bite Obama in the hindquarters amongst AA's and Latinos for sure. He just lost Indiana, West Virginia, made his life harder in Virginia, North Carolina, and possibly Ohio, Colorado, Missouri, and Florida.
If millions of pro-life evangelical African-Americans have been able to vote for Obama in spite of his being pro-choice, what makes you think same-sex marriage will be any different?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »

LOL. LOL. LOLOLOLOL.

The fact remains, social class (which, in America, includes race, religion,  income, gender, sexual orientation, and education to a lesser extent) is the strongest predictor of partisan preference. This has been consistent throughout American history.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

And you know all about that as a member of which minority?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »

The Constitution Party minority, clearly.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

"WHITE'S ARE A RACIAL MINORITY IN THIS COUNTRY THESE DAYS, WHY ISN'T THERE A WHITE HISTORY MONTH, WHY CAN'T I BE PROUD OF MY HERITAGE BY FLYING THIS FLAG FLOWN BY SLAVERY DEFENDERS??!?" - JCL probably.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies