Switzerland: An Initiative to Establish Basic Income for All (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Switzerland: An Initiative to Establish Basic Income for All (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Switzerland: An Initiative to Establish Basic Income for All  (Read 5927 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »

If this comes to a vote, this will be voted down just like the recent popular initiative that demanded 6 weeks holidays a year for every employee. The Swiss electorate is very careful - and mature I think - when it comes to voting on economic proposals. Any proposal that will lead to a massive rise of public expenditures or harm the country's productivity and international competitiveness has usually no chance.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

If this comes to a vote, this will be voted down just like the recent popular initiative that demanded 6 weeks holidays a year for every employee. The Swiss electorate is very careful - and mature I think - when it comes to voting on economic proposals. Any proposal that will lead to a massive rise of public expenditures or harm the country's productivity and international competitiveness has usually no chance.

Switzerland is like the US, except it functions properly. Wow. I am in awe of the Swiss voter right now. Democracy can certainly work there.

Yeah, Swiss voters are great:

You are right!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:50 AM »

Switzerland is like the US, except it functions properly. Wow. I am in awe of the Swiss voter right now. Democracy can certainly work there.

Yeah, Swiss voters are great:

You are right!
Should I form the impression of German speaking Swiss based on you & this map? It won't be pretty...

If you are able to form an opinion on an entire region based on a single poster from that region and the result of a single popular initiative, there's nothing I can do to stop you. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:05:48 AM »

LOL you are in favor of banning minarets? So ridiculous....

Is there a point in discussing an issue with someone who considers your point of view "ridiculous" from the outset? I don't think so. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try.

In a nutshell, I voted in favor of this initiative because I regard minarets in this country as a symbol of a form of Islam that I consider to be at odds with the values of Western society. Keep in mind that a minaret in an overwhelmingly non-Muslim country like Switzerland does not serve any religious purpose; there is no muezzin who calls people to prayer. So in fact, a minaret ban does not infringe on the religious rights of Muslims in the slightest.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:38:27 AM »

Thanks for your response, I do appreciate it. To me banning minarets just seems like a way of pissing off/antagonizing a minority group for racist or xenophobic reasons. And how is a minaret symbolic of a form of Islam that is at odds with western society? This means you are saying that all of Islam is at odds with western society? Which means you are sending a not so friendly message to a minority community within your nation......

The Swiss minaret ban is a sign against a radical, political form of Islam which cannot be reconciled with our democratic values - but not against the religion itself since a minaret does not have a religious purpose here.

As Ayaan Hirsi Ali puts it:

"There are two ways to interpret the vote. First, as a rejection of political Islam, not a rejection of Muslims. In this sense it was a vote for tolerance and inclusion, which political Islam rejects. Second, the vote was a revelation of the big gap between how the Swiss people and the Swiss elite judge political Islam."

"The minaret is a symbol of Islamist supremacy, a token of domination that came to symbolize Islamic conquest. It was introduced decades after the founding of Islam."

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2009/1205/p09s01-coop.html

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies