Mitt Romney, high school bully?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:25:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney, high school bully?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney, high school bully?  (Read 21480 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »

BTW, anybody remember the fake Bush AWOL letter?

No, but I remember the REAL Bush AWOL letter.

The one that was printed off MS Word in 1970-something, before Microsoft even existed? LOL
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 05:50:33 PM by Politico »

I'll add that AIDS did probably kill most *openly* gay men - the reason being is that getting AIDS was essentially a forced outing...

True. Maybe this aspect is clouding my judgment. Things were more closeted back then, and most openly gay men ended up being outed by the disease. I probably know gay men who are older than 50 and still alive, but just do not know they are gay.

Politico's '50% of sexually active gays died of AIDS' claim is quite fun.

There were 76,546,000 people born between 1940 and 1962 (18 years before 1980), of which 39,038,000 were men and approx 35,000,000 survived to 1980. At least 7% of men have sex with men (MSM) which gives us 2,450,000 sexually active gay men (and regardless of what shams some of them were living in, you can be damned sure they were having sex)

So we are looking, if Politico isn't talking out of his ass (which of course he is) at some 1.225million gay deaths from AIDS; that's excluding those born before 1940 and after 1962.

A total of 600,000 people in the USA have died from HIV/AIDS related complications, of which 300,000 involved MSM. Based on figures from 2007, that includes those born as late as say 1989. So if we add all them into the mix we have a potential adult population of 20.1 million MSM of all ages, all born before, during and after HIV/AIDS was first identified set against deaths of 600,000.

Deaths from HIV/AIDS related complications - 0.29%. Even if you take just 1% rather than 7% of the population, you still have deaths at about 2%.

That's actually more dubious than Politico's claim, since he is correct that HIV deaths were highly concentrated among men born between those years, and also in the period when the disease was most deadly (late 70s to late 80s) cause of death was very frequently misdiagnosed.  AIDS did kill a *massive* amount of gay men, although claiming a figure as high as 50 or 60% is pretty unlikely.

Maybe giving a range of 45-75% was wrong. But I am almost certain the number is not lower than 33%.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 05:49:51 PM by Politico »

The winning argument here is that Mittens was in F'ing High School, and we all did stuff there to one degree or another, and folks grow up. After you "win," you let go. It's really easy.

Yes. Let's get back to this. The whole AIDS thing is what it is, and there's no point talking about it anymore. I've said my part.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »

And you needed five posts why...?

Back on topic: Bullying isn't cool, but it's not like Mitt's going to forcibly cut peoples' hair on the campaign trail.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »

but it's not like Mitt's going to forcibly cut peoples' hair on the campaign trail.

Well with Mitt's tendency for gaffes, nothing will surprise me.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »

This thread, in 12 pages, describes my hatred for the 2012 board.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 09:27:44 PM by wildfood »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »

Mitt Romney reminds me so much of my high school principal that it's not even funny.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2012, 02:25:49 AM »

(e.g., even Elton John wasn't having sex with men before 1980).

Elton John was open about gay sex as early as a 1976 Rolling Stone interview.  Not that you got anything else right either.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2012, 02:46:11 AM »

I apologize for any misunderstanding, but you said that "recreational cocaine use" is "unlikely to directly affect others." I am sorry, but you do realize how cocaine is bought and sold, right (i.e., how the market currently works)?...

Yes.  Do you understand what "unlikely" means?

Every time someone buys cocaine, the cost of the cocaine they bought reflects the costs involved in getting the cocaine to them (along with a profit margin, of course). Part of those costs include extreme violence among warring drug producers (e.g., gangsters like Pablo Escobar in Obama's era, and the Mexican drug cartels today). There are few cocaine producers who are NOT involved in violence, and there are few recreational cocaine users who did not pay for their cocaine. In other words, recreational cocaine use is LIKELY to directly affect others in a violent, harmful way. Of course, the only remedy to ending the violence is by ending the black market via legalization. But that will not happen anytime soon.

Yes, but these are big piles of cocaine we are talking about.  Purchasing cocaine certainly has a marginal effect on all these negative consequences of the drug trade, but my statement was that any individual, discrete cocaine purchase is unlikely to itself have a direct effect.  You're right that it contributes to the overall effect on the margins, but is the effect of its overall portion of the contribution obviously greater than the negative effect of tormenting someone socially?  That's not necessarily evident to me.

The winning argument here is that Mittens was in F'ing High School, and we all did stuff there to one degree or another, and folks grow up. After you "win," you let go. It's really easy.

Yes. Let's get back to this. The whole AIDS thing is what it is, and there's no point talking about it anymore. I've said my part.

not really...even at your pre-revised figure of 60%, your original assertion still stands as really bizarre
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2012, 04:02:29 AM »

I approve of this meme.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2012, 09:19:07 AM »

So if someone illegally downloaded Beyonce's music because they'd rather not pay a black girl, that's a hate crime? All right, pal. You stick with that.

That would be as much a copyright violation as would be illegally downloading a recording of a Wagner opera conducted by Herbert von Karajan because one hates Germans.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2012, 09:26:54 AM by Purch »

Really? I thought Republican's were the party that's become really radical.

But the liberal media blowing things up from what a teenager did in high school and speaking about it like it' like it's fair game. Yet this is the same media who's completely trashed news sites that bring up Treyvon's martians suspension and marijuana use during that incident and speak about how what a kid does as a teen shouldn't be relevant to a scandal.

The problem with Republicans and Dems is you guys want to have it both ways.

How about people actually run a campaign without using retarded gimicks and things to sidetrack the people how about a campaign not run about someone's high school career, religion, race ext. How about people just run a campaign about their vision for America.

O wait I forgot this is what American politics has downgraded to.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the family of the kid knocking down this whole thing and ripping the post.  Also, a "witness" wasn't there and the "long bothered by it" was he heard about it 3 weeks ago... classic hit piece collapse. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »

Well Romney apologised for it... so I think the issue as to whether it happened or not isn't really one...  HOWEVER, as I said before, Romney may have been a douchebag at school... who cares? It's a non-story as far as I'm concerned, much like whatever Obama did when he was 6....
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the family of the kid knocking down this whole thing and ripping the post.  Also, a "witness" wasn't there and the "long bothered by it" was he heard about it 3 weeks ago... classic hit piece collapse. 

?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »

Mitt Romney?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »

?

Christine Lauber, the older sister of Romney’s classmate, John Lauber, claims she has no knowledge of the bullying incident involving her brother, who passed away from liver cancer in 2004. When ABC News showed Christine the story, she became agitated and somewhat emotional.

“Even if it did happen, John probably wouldn’t have said anything,” she said. “If he were still alive today, he would be furious [about the story].”

Betsy, another sister, spoke up about the incident as well. Aside from stating that the portrayal of her brother is inaccurate, she said the family is frustrated that the story is being used to push a political agenda.

“The family of John Lauber is releasing a statement saying the portrayal of John is factually incorrect and we are aggrieved that he would be used to further a political agenda,” she said. “There will be no more comments from the family.”

...“I always enjoyed his pranks,” said Stu White, a popular friend of Romney’s who went on to a career as a public school teacher and said he has been “disturbed” by the Lauber incident since hearing about it several weeks ago, before being contacted by The Washington Post. “But I was not the brunt of any of his pranks.”  ...This, of course, calls into question the notion that White was bothered by the incident for a long time (after all, he just learned about it).

AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »

I also didn't realize this was a prep school that the students lived at, which totally changes the dynamic.  A team/tribal situation for sure. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

I'm not reading this thread, but from what I understand, it seems that I'm not surprised. Romney is definitely an Alpha. He's a dick and people love him because he brings certainty into people's lives, even if it is at their expense. Everyone will rant against this but bar chicks  and co-workers like this....and voters love this for that matter. This is the only reason why Mitt could be 45.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/maxwell-brothers-tales-romney-hair-cutting-incident-differ-165926030--abc-news-politics.html

One of the Maxwell brothers has a different story of Romney's behavior.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #196 on: May 12, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »

What do Lauber's sisters' views have to do with anything? They weren't there, and it was otherwise corroborated. I'm sure they sincerely don't want their brother's bullying to be a point against Romney, and as senior citizens who went to prep school it's not hard to imagine they'll vote for him. But so what?
Young Lawyer
ya123

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »

Barack Obama was snorting cocaine as an adult yet Mitt Romney is being attacked for something that may or may not have happened? And if this John Lauber was really a homosexual, he'd probably be dead by now given what happened to most homosexuals his age in the '80s and '90s (e.g., Freddie Mercury, Liberace, Rock Hudson, etc.)

Because snorting cocaine in your bedroom is the equivalent of deliberately ganging up on and assaulting a kid because his hair-cut was too faggy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »

Barack Obama was snorting cocaine as an adult yet Mitt Romney is being attacked for something that may or may not have happened? And if this John Lauber was really a homosexual, he'd probably be dead by now given what happened to most homosexuals his age in the '80s and '90s (e.g., Freddie Mercury, Liberace, Rock Hudson, etc.)

Because snorting cocaine in your bedroom is the equivalent of deliberately ganging up on and assaulting a kid because his hair-cut was too faggy.

Another lawyer is on the premises? Soon we may have enough to form a Bar Association. Tongue
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »

Another lawyer is on the premises? Soon we may have enough to form a Bar Association. Tongue

Indeed Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies