question about diversity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:29:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  question about diversity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question about diversity  (Read 573 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »

looking at racial maps on dave's app, I think it begs the question:

Are places really diverse or does it mean they are in "transition"? Looking in the metroplex for example, Arlington (specifically the eastern areas) are very diverse. But will it remain that way in ten years?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »

I think that's a hard question to answer for a variety of reasons.  Possibly the biggest unknown is how tolerant the current generation of Americans really is.  Baby boomers were born and raised during the height of the Civil Rights Movement which means that a lot of them might know that racism is wrong but they still "inherited" some of the prejudices of their parents.  Thus, the fact that white flight has continued to be common 50 years after the fact is not all that surprising.

However, I would argue that the majority of baby boomers probably made some effort to raise their children without prejudice.  Therefore Gen Xers and Millennials are probably more tolerant of living in a diverse neighborhood.  These generations have also grown up in a media environment saturated by both implicit and explicit messages regarding diversity.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »

I think that's a hard question to answer for a variety of reasons.  Possibly the biggest unknown is how tolerant the current generation of Americans really is.  Baby boomers were born and raised during the height of the Civil Rights Movement which means that a lot of them might know that racism is wrong but they still "inherited" some of the prejudices of their parents.  Thus, the fact that white flight has continued to be common 50 years after the fact is not all that surprising.

However, I would argue that the majority of baby boomers probably made some effort to raise their children without prejudice.  Therefore Gen Xers and Millennials are probably more tolerant of living in a diverse neighborhood.  These generations have also grown up in a media environment saturated by both implicit and explicit messages regarding diversity.

This.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies