"The Life of Julia" under Obama vs. under Romney.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:03:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  "The Life of Julia" under Obama vs. under Romney.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "The Life of Julia" under Obama vs. under Romney.  (Read 3180 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »

And this more than anything explains why I am a liberal and not a conservative.

http://www.barackobama.com/life-of-julia
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »

I am man enough... to like this.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »

lol
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »

It's nice that they thought to personalize the issues. It would have been much more effective if they used actual people.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »

Most of this is possibly crap, but the health care thing is a real issue for me. If Romney's plan is just to repeal it with nothing to replace it with there's no way I'm voting for him.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »

Most of this is possibly crap, but the health care thing is a real issue for me. If Romney's plan is just to repeal it with nothing to replace it with there's no way I'm voting for him.

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »

I'm talking about Obamacare. Where is the alternative plan?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »

http://www.gop.gov/indepth/pledge/healthcare
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »

HURR DURR FREE MAWRKET!!!!111
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »

lol @ "Purchase Health Insurance across State Lines"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/02/selling_insurance_across_state.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[1] http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit/more/rise.html
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »

Nothing in there to ensure coverage for everybody. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good ideas in there but it's not comprehensive. We need to agree that every American should have health coverage if they desire it, and I don't see the Republicans propose that. The means are not that important to me and I am open to listening to both sides, but we must agree on the end.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »

If I was a republican I'd be asking "who the hell is Julia...And why am I paying for her".
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »

If I was a republican I'd be asking "who the hell is Julia...And why am I paying for her".
And if I were responding to you I'd be saying "Julia pays her taxes just like you, so that you too can get Social Security and Medicare and all that good stuff. Everyone pays for everyone else."
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »

And if I were responding to you I'd be saying "Julia pays her taxes just like you, so that you too can get Social Security and Medicare and all that good stuff. Everyone pays for everyone else."

And then I'd ask you if you actually think that Social Security and Medicare are sustainable in the long run as they are now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »

Profits above all else, and when you run out of money or government aid you die.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 04:16:26 PM by Nym90 »

Profits first, profits only, and when you run out of money or government aid you die.
No, of course not. You'll still be treated, after you're treated you'll just actually have to pay for treatment. A hospital is obliged to treat everybody; but in a fair world, like the pre-Obamacare world (which was not perfect but still good) everybody would afterwards have to pay for said treatment.

But, see, I don't want to pay for Julia. I want to pay for myself, for my family, and for no one else. I don't want to be dependent on the government, particularly on a system like this that is bound to become inefficient and corrupt, and will only increase our debt and make the deficit worse. I don't want that, and I don't think most Americans do. It reeks of 'welfare state'.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »

Krazen hasn't been banned yet for this trollrific bs?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

No, of course not. You'll still be treated, after you're treated you'll just actually have to pay for treatment. A hospital is obliged to treat everybody; but in a fair world, like the pre-Obamacare world (which was not perfect but still good) everybody would afterwards have to pay for said treatment.

Except they don't. Millions of people receive (extremely costly) treatment at hospitals and never pay their bills. So, we're already paying for them. Which is why the individual mandate was originally a conservative idea.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »

Except they don't. Millions of people receive (extremely costly) treatment at hospitals and never pay their bills. So, we're already paying for them. Which is why the individual mandate was originally a conservative idea.

Then don't force everyone to pay into a program because a select few refuse to pay their bills. We all don't face tax evasion charges just because John Q. Smith doesn't pay his taxes.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »

The life of Julia bears no mention of Julia paying tax at any age.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »

Under President Obama: Julia retires. After years of contributing to Social Security, she receives monthly benefits that help her retire comfortably, without worrying that she'll run out of savings. This allows her to volunteer at a community garden.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

Then don't force everyone to pay into a program because a select few refuse to pay their bills. We all don't face tax evasion charges just because John Q. Smith doesn't pay his taxes.
I don't think you're following me. Hospitals already have to compensate for people who don't pay. Medical bills are higher because of the indigent.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 10:17:20 AM »

lol @ "Purchase Health Insurance across State Lines"

This is extremely amusing in that it's essentially an implicit admission that absolutely nobody, when push comes to shove, is willing to pay more for more regulated insurance (or credit cards).  Nobody finds the value of increased regulations higher than the value of whatever money they save on their health insurance or their credit cards.  It's therefore an admission that liberal policies on health insurance, credit cards etc. are inferior.

Similar, actually, to how confidently asserting that homosexuality is a choice is an implicit admission of one's own homosexual desires.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »

She is making a solid income, so you can assume that she is paying federal income taxes and state sales or income taxes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies