Obama / gay marriage polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:07:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama / gay marriage polls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama / gay marriage polls  (Read 2898 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

(+13)+(-26)=(-13)

How exactly is that a net positive?

Because the poll didn't ask undecided voters. Most who said less likely weren't voting for him and the more likely probably already were.
that would mean it's a wash at best.

I should have said that...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 05:07:39 AM »

I don't trust those SurveyUSA crosstabs. They are usually horrible for any poll, but they seem to be especially the case with SurveyUSA.
ajb
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 07:23:50 AM »

I don't trust those SurveyUSA crosstabs. They are usually horrible for any poll, but they seem to be especially the case with SurveyUSA.

SUSA always gives very full crosstabs, which look pretty, but are often crazy due to small sample size. I seem to recall in 2008 they had polls with Obama winning places like WI and IA decisively, but losing with black voters in those states. Then you looked, and saw they'd (quite properly) interviewed about a dozen AfAm voters, which makes those results meaningless.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »

SUSA always gives very full crosstabs, which look pretty, but are often crazy due to small sample size. I seem to recall in 2008 they had polls with Obama winning places like WI and IA decisively, but losing with black voters in those states. Then you looked, and saw they'd (quite properly) interviewed about a dozen AfAm voters, which makes those results meaningless.

If nationwide, Obama was winning 11 out of 12 blacks, and in some state McCain won 7 out of 12 blacks, that's a statistically significant difference.
ajb
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

The margin of error on a sample of 12 with a population on the scale of most states' African-American voting populations is around 28%. So your example is probably not quite significant.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies