What states will be unanimous in counties? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What states will be unanimous in counties? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states will be unanimous in counties?  (Read 2503 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: May 13, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2012, 07:28:15 PM by memphis »

Shelby County is majority black. Obama will break 60% easily here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »

Shelby County is majority black. Obama will break 60% easily here.

I'm just saying it's within the theoretical realm of possibility, not that it's likely (it would have to be like Nixon '72).  Bush "only" lost there by 16 points.
Romney winning DC is also within the theoretical realm of possibility. And statistically both events are about as likely to happen.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2012, 09:05:43 PM by memphis »

No Southern state will be a shut out, that's for sure.  I could see Obama repeating 2008, so all of New England sans Maine and New Hampshire, plus Hawaii and Delaware.  For Romney, I'll say Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.
West Virginia, if you want it count it as Southern, is a real possibility. Obama was under 55% in every county last go round and under 50% in all but a few.  And unlike many Deep South counties that Obama narrowly won, there isn't a rock solid minority vote in any of those few counties.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »

No Southern state will be a shut out, that's for sure.  I could see Obama repeating 2008, so all of New England sans Maine and New Hampshire, plus Hawaii and Delaware.  For Romney, I'll say Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.

So there's going to be a greater than 10 point swing in Blaine and Teton counties?
There's a common fallacy in this thread that dominance in a state overall implies a good chance of carrying every county. It's just not true. Counties within most states vary substantially. It's more about the counties being similar that the state being strongly biased overall. Idaho, one of the most GOP states in the country hasn't had every county go for the GOP candidate since 1984.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies