Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:09:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"  (Read 12812 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:09 AM »

Honestly, I thought this was the most interesting part of the story:

"New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who is said by insiders to want it the most and also to annoy some aides with his aggressiveness"

I would not have expected Christie to be the most desperate for the vice presidency.  I guess he really really wants national office, and the chances that he runs for prez in 2016 (assuming Obama wins reelection this year) are even higher than I thought.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »

I think it'll be Richard Burr.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »

I really like Thune as a competent guy who appeals to evangelicals, but he is a bit young, and he would likely turn down Romney and wait to run himself in 2016.

51 years old (slightly older than the current president) is a bit young?

And I highly doubt that Thune would turn Romney down to run himself in 2016.  Thune has given a classic non-denial denial of interest in being VP, which means that he probably wants it.  I don't know if Thune wants to be president (he did pass on a run this time, after all), but clearly accepting a spot on Romney's ticket would boost his chances of eventually getting there.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »

I don't know how many times I have to say it but...

PAUL RYAN

not boring enough.

Boring = no controversial opinions, doesn't have a big name, not really outspoken about anything, doesn't deviate from party ideology, but also isn't an extremist.

John Thune then? He could appeal to the Christian Conservative base, but Paul Ryan is from a swing state that will be absolutely crucial for the GOP in 2012--it's the state that, in my opinion, will make or break the Romney campaign come November.
hopper
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »

I don't know why its a big deal if its a boring white guy. I mean the Dems picked Lloyd Bensten over Jessie Jackson in 1988. So aren't the Dems intersted in boring white guys too? Don't tell me Al Gore is exciting too. John Edwards and Joe Lieberman are exciting as well?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »

I don't know why its a big deal if its a boring white guy. I mean the Dems picked Lloyd Bensten over Jessie Jackson in 1988. So aren't the Dems intersted in boring white guys too? Don't tell me Al Gore is exciting too. John Edwards and Joe Lieberman are exciting as well?

It's more the fact that a campaign insider directly implied that being a white male was a nonnegotiable requirement to be Romney's VP pick. Could easily come across as bigoted.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »

PAUL RYAN

A man with two first names....I don't trust him.
milhouse24
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=CBD1171C-FB83-49C0-9DD8-4689F47966B5

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I guess brown skin and/or a uterus are inherently risky and exciting.

Anonymous leaker also names names re: the names at the top of the list (for now):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, keep in mind, leaks don't happen by accident.  The Romney campaign surely has an agenda in leaking this, so treat it with the appropriate skepticism.

Sometimes leaks seem accidental.  And even if the leak of the names is no accident, the leak of the demographic criteria might be.  Can't imagine the Romney Campaign was happy to see that.

Well, in the context of Obama's week of gay marriage appealing to minorities and potentially upsetting white males and catholics, Romney picking a Bland white guy will be a direct appeal to working class white catholic males who care more about the economy than radical social issues.  It can be Romney indirectly saying he's not going to upend society and he's going to make an appeal to evangelicals who want straight marriage.
milhouse24
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »

"New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who is said by insiders to want it the most and also to annoy some aides with his aggressiveness"

I would not have expected Christie to be the most desperate for the vice presidency.  I guess he really really wants national office, and the chances that he runs for prez in 2016 (assuming Obama wins reelection this year) are even higher than I thought.

It could be Christie being his obnoxious/pushy self doing everything he can to help Romney make New Jersey competitive.  He is worried about losing his re-election, so he's planning on leaving NJ soon.  Perhaps he wants to be attorney general or some other cabinet member.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »

racists.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »

PAUL RYAN

A man with two first names....I don't trust him.

Ron Paul?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »

Really?  I don't find it too surprising for some reason.  For a couple months, he's seemed like the 2nd most openly coveting it after McDonnell, like when Christie said "Romney could talk me into it."  Reports from September (when Christie flirted with going back on the most Shermanesque denials anyone had given, ever?) cited unnamed sources close to him saying he was intending to pass until 2016, gauging Obama too tough to beat in 2012, but reconsidered when Obama's approvals dove toward 40.  His declining to bat away 2016 speculation with Oprah (which probably didn't help his VP hunt) tipped national ambitions.  I think being Romney's running mate makes it far more likely Christie is president or nominee some day, even if Romney loses but especially if he wins.  Being running mate simultaneously boosts his national status and blocks someone else from that boost.  Even if that's debatable, I'm not surprised that it's Christie's assessment.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »

John Thune best fits the description they're looking for, but I really, really, REALLY wanna see Paul Ryan get it.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »

Rob Portman.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »

It's going to be either Jamie Dimon or Samuel Alito.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »

It's going to be either Jamie Dimon or Samuel Alito.

LOL
wan
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »

what about ron paul?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »

John Thune is Romney's man.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »

John Thune best fits the description they're looking for, but I really, really, REALLY wanna see Paul Ryan get it.

You really want to gift the Democrats with the Ryan Budget? PLEASE!!! go right ahead!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »

Jake loves Paul Ryan now?

*dying*
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »

I have no problem with a "boring white guy" just as long as he's experienced, competent,  capable, and is seen as such.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

Jake loves Paul Ryan now?

*dying*

I think it is an act.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »

Yeah, pretty obviously trying to get votes in Atlasia (wrong way to go about it anyway).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 04:07:43 AM »

Christie's latest attempt at generating VP buzz:  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHN0ZeS5c-4&feature=player_embedded
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 05:38:35 AM »

lol

Yeah, pretty obviously trying to get votes in Atlasia (wrong way to go about it anyway).

You know, it's pretty disheartening to read this. It really is. I can understand not liking my views, or even thinking lesser of me for them, but don't you dare tell me that I'm "putting on an act for Atlasia." That's a flat-out lie and I won't tolerate it. My views changed, just not in the way that all of you red avatars would've liked to see. Boo-freaking-hoo. Get off your high horse and accept the fact that there are people of other ideologies on this forum and in the world. I shouldn't have to feel bad for logging onto this forum, thinking I'm going to be ridiculed for something I said. I should be able to post my genuine beliefs (which are still evolving) somewhere and not fear that I'm going to be beat down by a storm of red avatars. The only times I've ever discussed my views on fiscal policy, I've been smacked down. I've respectfully disagreed with people, but nobody respectfully disagrees with me. It's always I'm wrong. It's just like in RL! I come to this place cuz I feel like people genuinely liked me. I guess I was wrong. Again. Do you guys know what it's like to be wrong 24/7? Do you know what it's like to have to fear having a goddamn opinion about something because I know someone will ridicule me for it? BS. I'm done. I've f**king had it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies