Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"  (Read 12807 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 06:27:47 AM »

The sense of moral superiority some people have on this board is really quite patronizing. I've changed my beliefs in the past, and so have all of you no matter how hard you try to pretend you haven't.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »

Ron Paul may be many things, but "boring" isn't one of them.
milhouse24
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

Ryan, Daniels or Christie would be my top three choices.

Daniels is probably the strongest pick of those listed.  He rates higher than Portman in my opinion because Daniels will be seen as a stronger leader with more credibility, than the new senator portman.  Portman is too unknown and could be seen as Cheney lite, a white house beurocrat who's not that popular outside of DC. 

If the media and Obama campaigns vow to keep Daniels' wife off limits, which might happen with the Ann romney flap.  Daniels is clearly qualified to be president, but i'm sure liberal groups will sling the mud at Mrs. Daniels once Obama drops in the polls.  It will get very ugly and nasty for Daniels' wife, and that is sad, but the personal attacks might also be seen as sexist and anti-woman, which could bring some female voters into the Romney camp out of disgust. 
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »

The only problem with Daniels is that he was Bush's budget director from 2001-2003.

Now, Daniels could argue that the economy thrived during this period, silencing some of his critics. However, he would indeed be a great pick.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »

I don't really see what Pawlenty would add. So I'm suprised to see him as a purported frontrunner.

Out of the names specifically mentioned, I'd say Portman or Daniels make the most sense. As they reinforce the economic message, while Ryan and McDonnell feed into anti-working class or women meme.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »

I don't really see what Pawlenty would add. So I'm suprised to see him as a purported frontrunner.

Out of the names specifically mentioned, I'd say Portman or Daniels make the most sense. As they reinforce the economic message, while Ryan and McDonnell feed into anti-working class or women meme.

The budget chairman doesn't reenforce the economic message?
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »

The budget chairman doesn't reenforce the economic message?

I think the Ryan Budget is enough to remove him from consideration.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

The archetypal boring white guy has quite flatly ruled himself out, and not in the "aw shucks, I'm jus' not that interested" way that we're used to hearing.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »

I don't really see what Pawlenty would add. So I'm surprised to see him as a purported frontrunner.

The conventional wisdom is that Romney is more in avoiding subtraction.  It's hard to see who would refuse to vote for the GOP ticket because of Pawlenty who already wouldn't vote for Romney.
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »

It won't be Ryan. The second he'd be chosen, Romney would have to make the Ryan budget a central part of his campaign. It'll totally overshadow the ticket, as Romney is forced to defend stump for a set of policies that arn't his. Romney would be seen as almost a second banana then... why would Romney need to run at all if Ryan could do so just as effectively?

Jeb Bush would be interesting, but the risk is too great. I'd say Portman and Daniels are most likely, as the only way Romney will win the election is by emphasizing his credentials as a skilled economic manager.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »

Calling it: Huckabee.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:25 AM »

Oh my god...that may actually force me to vote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 05:56:53 AM »

I don't see why people think that Daniels's family situation would be such a killer.  I mean, yes, it looks like his wife doesn't want him to run for national office, so he probably won't.  But if Daniels did agree to be veep, I don't think the family history would be that big a factor.  I mean, for heaven's sake.  McCain (the actual presidential nominee, not the VP nominee) started dating his current wife while still married to his previous wife, and that was a complete non-issue in the '08 campaign because it happened a million years ago.  Why would the actions of Daniels's wife in the 1990s matter that much if Daniels is the VP nominee?

That said, I have a feeling that Daniels would make a terrible running mate, because he'd always be going off message.  Then again, it's not like Biden does any better.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »

So as of today, I'm gonna say my favourite potential pick is Daniels, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Christie will be the pick.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2012, 08:08:59 AM »

Michelle Obama didn't want her husband to run for President, and look what happened.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »

Michelle Obama didn't want her husband to run for President, and look what happened.

She wasn't the only one.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »

I'm going to say it will be a Mitt Romney(R-MA)/Richard Burr(R-NC) ticket.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »

He's certainly blah enough and has the right geography. He was born in Charlottesville, Va. per Wikipedia.
milhouse24
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

Not a bad idea, but its odd that a good choice like Burr, DeMint, or Thune have been pretty silent in the media.  That's usually not a good sign, because whoever the VP is will want to elevate their national profile in order to get some media validation and public validation.  It would be bad for Romney to pick a complete surprise pick, even if that person were competent, because the media would be pissed off, and would go harder on the VP in order to dig up dirt.  Where as strategic leaks and buildup will help the Romney campaign manage the roll out and allow the media to get some positive/negative stories about the VP out over time.  As we saw with Palin, the negative stories came in a very short time span, which helped cement the public image that she wasn't fit for the office.  Essentially, the press doesn't like surprises and any surprises will create a rush for sensationalistic stories.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »

Level I: Portman, Daniels, Pawlenty?

Level II(exciting): Ryan, Rubio, Christie

You may have Romney preferring Ryan and his staff strongly preferring a Level I guy (probably Portman).  The trend of Romney's rise probably points to the safer pick.  No need for a game change when you are on the path to victory.  Romney basically wins the Presidency with Ohio and the Strong resume, economic skill set, Senator compliments the ticket nationally.  If Romney locks down Ohio a month or more before the election he will win pretty easily.  I would think a Cincinnati guy plays pretty well in Pennsylvania and Virginia as well.           

I realize I need to do a lot of research on Portman ASAP.  Should we start a thread on him?           

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »

You may have Romney preferring Ryan and his staff strongly preferring a Level I guy (probably Portman).  The trend of Romney's rise probably points to the safer pick.  No need for a game change when you are on the path to victory.  Romney basically wins the Presidency with Ohio and the Strong resume, economic skill set, Senator compliments the ticket nationally.  If Romney locks down Ohio a month or more before the election he will win pretty easily.  I would think a Cincinnati guy plays pretty well in Pennsylvania and Virginia as well.           

I realize I need to do a lot of research on Portman ASAP.  Should we start a thread on him?           

Obama can win without Ohio, and Portman doesn't move the needle there. PPP has polled him multiple times.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »

Here's National Journal's latest ranking.

http://nationaljournal.com/politics/hotline-s-veepstakes-power-rankings-20120518
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »

Obama can win without Ohio, and Portman doesn't move the needle there. PPP has polled him multiple times.

Yea I know, but...
1) Portman won't hurt winning Ohio.  He won't "deliver" it, but he may after a few months make a difference there. 
2) He fits broad appeal/compliment criteria.  He may fit a regional criteria helping in PA and/or VA. 

...he might help move a point in those areas and help momentum. 

Romney can win without Ohio, but it goes from smooth sailing with to scary white knuckles without.     
milhouse24
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »

Pawlenty is the most boring guy, but he has the strangest last name.  It might be too difficult for voters to pronouce.  It might sound too foreign. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »

Pawlenty is the most boring guy, but he has the strangest last name.  It might be too difficult for voters to pronouce.  It might sound too foreign. 

reality check: our current president's name is "Barack Hussein Obama"... I don't think you can really claim that "a foreign sounding name" is really a negative anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies