Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:17:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"  (Read 13128 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=CBD1171C-FB83-49C0-9DD8-4689F47966B5

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I guess brown skin and/or a uterus are inherently risky and exciting.

Anonymous leaker also names names re: the names at the top of the list (for now):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, keep in mind, leaks don't happen by accident.  The Romney campaign surely has an agenda in leaking this, so treat it with the appropriate skepticism.

Sometimes leaks seem accidental.  And even if the leak of the names is no accident, the leak of the demographic criteria might be.  Can't imagine the Romney Campaign was happy to see that.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »

Honestly, I thought this was the most interesting part of the story:

"New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who is said by insiders to want it the most and also to annoy some aides with his aggressiveness"

I would not have expected Christie to be the most desperate for the vice presidency.  I guess he really really wants national office, and the chances that he runs for prez in 2016 (assuming Obama wins reelection this year) are even higher than I thought.

Really?  I don't find it too surprising for some reason.  For a couple months, he's seemed like the 2nd most openly coveting it after McDonnell, like when Christie said "Romney could talk me into it."  Reports from September (when Christie flirted with going back on the most Shermanesque denials anyone had given, ever?) cited unnamed sources close to him saying he was intending to pass until 2016, gauging Obama too tough to beat in 2012, but reconsidered when Obama's approvals dove toward 40.  His declining to bat away 2016 speculation with Oprah (which probably didn't help his VP hunt) tipped national ambitions.  I think being Romney's running mate makes it far more likely Christie is president or nominee some day, even if Romney loses but especially if he wins.  Being running mate simultaneously boosts his national status and blocks someone else from that boost.  Even if that's debatable, I'm not surprised that it's Christie's assessment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies