Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:00:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latest Romney campaign leaks on VP search: they want a "boring white guy"  (Read 13122 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« on: May 19, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »

Level I: Portman, Daniels, Pawlenty?

Level II(exciting): Ryan, Rubio, Christie

You may have Romney preferring Ryan and his staff strongly preferring a Level I guy (probably Portman).  The trend of Romney's rise probably points to the safer pick.  No need for a game change when you are on the path to victory.  Romney basically wins the Presidency with Ohio and the Strong resume, economic skill set, Senator compliments the ticket nationally.  If Romney locks down Ohio a month or more before the election he will win pretty easily.  I would think a Cincinnati guy plays pretty well in Pennsylvania and Virginia as well.           

I realize I need to do a lot of research on Portman ASAP.  Should we start a thread on him?           

AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »

Level I: Portman, Daniels, Pawlenty?

Level II(exciting): Ryan, Rubio, Christie

You may have Romney preferring Ryan and his staff strongly preferring a Level I guy (probably Portman).  The trend of Romney's rise probably points to the safer pick.  No need for a game change when you are on the path to victory.  Romney basically wins the Presidency with Ohio and the Strong resume, economic skill set, Senator compliments the ticket nationally.  If Romney locks down Ohio a month or more before the election he will win pretty easily.  I would think a Cincinnati guy plays pretty well in Pennsylvania and Virginia as well.           

I realize I need to do a lot of research on Portman ASAP.  Should we start a thread on him?           

Obama can win without Ohio, and Portman doesn't move the needle there. PPP has polled him multiple times.

Yea I know, but...
1) Portman won't hurt winning Ohio.  He won't "deliver" it, but he may after a few months make a difference there. 
2) He fits broad appeal/compliment criteria.  He may fit a regional criteria helping in PA and/or VA. 

...he might help move a point in those areas and help momentum. 

Romney can win without Ohio, but it goes from smooth sailing with to scary white knuckles without.     
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »

A catholic vice president like John Kerry would have been more of an asset
LOL.   
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2012, 10:45:29 AM by AmericanNation »

[Bush asked: ‘What are you doing?’ Rob said something like, ‘I’m coming into your space.’
Bush shook his head. “Gore’s never going to do that.” “He might do it,” Portman said.]
...that is really funny.

[“Anybody who saw Rob Portman in the role of Barack Obama during debate preps has no doubt about his ability to compete, debate and campaign effectively at the highest levels.”]
...Pretty encouraging.

...and he learned to speak Spanish working on a border ranch.  

(I'll say it again: Rubio is interesting and needs to be considered, but)
 it's Ryan, Portman and everyone else.  
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »

Yes, those positions like:
1)stop ignoring illegal migration and 2)address the problem
...will forever cement legal Hispanic immigrants in the dem column.     
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »

I love how Romney's relatively sensible solution to illegal immigration--which people need to remember is a big PROBLEM--is now a heartless deal breaker. An e-verify system and reliance on self-deportation is pretty soft.
and add the horror of a guest worker program.  So an illegal could self deport and come back as a guest worker almost immediately  ...sounds like a VERY EXTREME position! 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »

Yes, those positions like:
1)stop ignoring illegal migration and 2)address the problem
...will forever cement legal Hispanic immigrants in the dem column.     

Well if people want to vote for someone who will deport illegals, then they should vote for Obama as he has a proven track record there since deportations have been at record levels these past few years, and ICE has been focusing on the serious criminals among the illegals.

So long as the GOP is paranoid delusional about the reality of immigration, it's not going to win many votes among the segments of the population that have recently immigrated here.
Yes both the illegal immigrants AND the people who want illegals deported should rightly vote for Obama.  Republicans are so delusional. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies