The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:06:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 262860 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: March 30, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

I really don't understand how you can say the economy wouldn't have been as bad in 2008. The crisis had absolutely nothing to do with tax cuts. It was due to the governments interference in the housing market via fannie mae & freddie mac. If anything the Gore economy would have been worse. Bush inherited a slumping economy that got worse because of 9/11. The tax cuts didn't take full effect until 2003, at which point, the economy picked up until the housing market bubble.

there's nothing in there that's as absurd as blaming the financial crisis on tax cuts.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1601 on: March 30, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »

I really don't understand how you can say the economy wouldn't have been as bad in 2008. The crisis had absolutely nothing to do with tax cuts. It was due to the governments interference in the housing market via fannie mae & freddie mac. If anything the Gore economy would have been worse. Bush inherited a slumping economy that got worse because of 9/11. The tax cuts didn't take full effect until 2003, at which point, the economy picked up until the housing market bubble.

there's nothing in there that's as absurd as blaming the financial crisis on tax cuts.

Yeah, there's a lot of reasons to blame Bush (or, more accurately, neoliberal economic policies under Bush and his conservative Democratic predecessor) for the economic collapse of 2008 and a lot of reasons to oppose the Bush tax cuts, but to say that the Bush tax cuts directly caused the 2008 recession is ridiculous, and the post you linked is wrong but not totally absurd or ignorant, and I don't want this thread to turn into:
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1602 on: March 30, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Perhaps but it doesn't mean the rest of it isn't awful.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1603 on: March 30, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2013, 10:42:40 PM by Nathan »

Negative for the same but opposite reason I think highly of Michael Vick. Despite Vick's obvious negatives, I think he's had an overall positive impact on the people who derive value from the things he does and says and the people they impact. The exact opposite could be said of the cult of character surrounding Jesus Christ.

That anybody could directly imply with seeming sincerity that he has a higher opinion of Michael Vick than of Jesus is...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1604 on: March 31, 2013, 03:08:10 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 03:16:32 AM by politicus »

Negative for the same but opposite reason I think highly of Michael Vick. Despite Vick's obvious negatives, I think he's had an overall positive impact on the people who derive value from the things he does and says and the people they impact. The exact opposite could be said of the cult of character surrounding Jesus Christ.

That anybody could directly imply with seeming sincerity that he has a higher opinion of Michael Vick than of Jesus is...

...even from a non-Christian standpoint, that is whacked.

I read it as tongue in cheek.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1605 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:56 AM »

I sincerely hope that's a fair reading.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1606 on: March 31, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »

HP, just like anyone else who lead a cult.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1607 on: March 31, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

In fairness, he explains and qualifies that later on in the thread.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1608 on: April 01, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

This is an absolute nightmare.  Sanford obviously is clueless to the fact that he can never win an election again, and we get Stephen Colbert's sister in Congress.  Isn't one comedian (albeit an election thief) in Washington enough?
But in all seriousness, since I believe SC is open primary, I expect a lot of Democrats to cross over to suplort Sanford.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1609 on: April 01, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »

President Pierce delivered one of the most eloquent veto addresses in the history of the American Presidency. He vetoed the Land-Grant Bill For Indigent Insane Persons on May 3, 1854, by stating that even though a piece of legislation may be popular that does not make it Constitutional. "I have been compelled to resist the deep sympathies of my own heart in favor of the humane purpose sought to be accomplished," Pierce wrote as he argued that the bill violated section eight of Article I of the United States Constitution. The very idea that a president would veto a popular bill because it was unconstitutional makes me have a high opinion of President Pierce.

He also vetoed such unconstitutional waste as a bill that would benefit only the Des Moines River Valley, the St. Clair Flats and the port of Baltimore. In vetoing popular legislation Pierce upheld classically liberal traditions of local support but alienated his own Democratic base leading to his defeat at the hands of good old boy James Buchanan who would usher in four years of utter corruption and waste in the federal government. Pierce was an excellent president.

libertarians
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1610 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »

President Pierce delivered one of the most eloquent veto addresses in the history of the American Presidency. He vetoed the Land-Grant Bill For Indigent Insane Persons on May 3, 1854, by stating that even though a piece of legislation may be popular that does not make it Constitutional. "I have been compelled to resist the deep sympathies of my own heart in favor of the humane purpose sought to be accomplished," Pierce wrote as he argued that the bill violated section eight of Article I of the United States Constitution. The very idea that a president would veto a popular bill because it was unconstitutional makes me have a high opinion of President Pierce.

He also vetoed such unconstitutional waste as a bill that would benefit only the Des Moines River Valley, the St. Clair Flats and the port of Baltimore. In vetoing popular legislation Pierce upheld classically liberal traditions of local support but alienated his own Democratic base leading to his defeat at the hands of good old boy James Buchanan who would usher in four years of utter corruption and waste in the federal government. Pierce was an excellent president.

libertarians

Sigh...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1611 on: April 02, 2013, 01:23:16 AM »

With that name, I imagine the administrator from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1612 on: April 02, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

Yeah, this just shows he has actual strong beliefs rather than basing his views on personal emotions.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #1613 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »

My apologies that I do not hold the same opinion as you on President Pierce. I shall strive to do better in the future.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1614 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »

Gotta love Progressive tolerance!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1615 on: April 02, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »

It's impossible to be even an average president if you actively support people who are rebelling against the government because they want to have the right to own other people. Do you disagree with this?

Their rebellion wasn't fought purely on the basis of owning people.

Neither was the Confederacy's.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1616 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

You're closer to being real people than corporations, I'll give you that. Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1617 on: April 03, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »

If we didn't have the tax cuts, Iraq, and Medicare Part D, instead going the Gore route of lockboxing and paying down the debt, the stimulus packages could have been double in size and twice in length and scope and we wouldn't have felt a recession at all.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1618 on: April 03, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »

They're right to sue. I wish more people would sue their high schools if they can't find a job.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1619 on: April 03, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »

All Bandit posts should be redirected to The Goldmine.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1620 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »

Only for you clueless right-wingers.  For people who have any cognizance of the actual state of affairs in the world, he's merely plaintive and overly optimistic, but basically correct most of the time.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1621 on: April 03, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

Only for you clueless right-wingers.  For people who have any cognizance of the actual state of affairs in the world, he's merely plaintive and overly optimistic, but basically correct most of the time.

Your act is so stale these days that it's laughably predictable.

Also, thanks for posting that directing into this thread. Makes things easier.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1622 on: April 03, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

Why would one lend credence to the PM score, Wyodon?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1623 on: April 03, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »

Because Kemp appears to have been around more than long enough to be legitimate, and seems fairly devoutly left-wing?

Really?  Well, I don't make it a project to observe him very closely, but I always assumed him to be a bit right-leaning.. perhaps its just an impression, but then again his PM score isn't a proper ->7/->7.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1624 on: April 03, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »

Because Kemp appears to have been around more than long enough to be legitimate, and seems fairly devoutly left-wing?

Really?  Well, I don't make it a project to observe him very closely, but I always assumed him to be a bit right-leaning.. perhaps its just an impression, but then again his PM score isn't a proper ->7/->7.

Does it count if you average the two to -7? -8/-6, for example? Do you weight E scores or S scores more heavily? Or are they both the same?

Stay tuned as we peek more into the mind of the legendary opebo, ladies and gentlemen.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies