The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:18:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 80
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 260880 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »

IMHO, you have to try to treat everyone with respect and dignity. Most fail this call. I certainly do.

Nathan is probably better at this than most people.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1576 on: March 23, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

Lost my cool or not (I admit I was upset, but I was also in full possession of my faculties and seriously considered not engaging), I stand by everything I said in this instance.

IMHO, you have to try to treat everyone with respect and dignity. Most fail this call. I certainly do.

Nathan is probably better at this than most people.

Not really, but thank you for the compliment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1577 on: March 23, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »

Anyway, I don't subscribe to that notion that everyone deserves respect. Sure, there ought to be a great deal of tolerance for diverging views and certainly the members of an internet forum tend to err on the side of disrespect, but that does not mean people ought to respect you regardless of how you behave.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1578 on: March 23, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »

Anyway, I don't subscribe to that notion that everyone deserves respect. Sure, there ought to be a great deal of tolerance for diverging views and certainly the members of an internet forum tend to err on the side of disrespect, but that does not mean people ought to respect you regardless of how you behave.

Maybe I'm just in a particularly self righteous or thoughtful mood tonight but there is a difference between respect for a person's behavior and beliefs and respect for someone as a fellow human being. Confronting people for their wrong headed beliefs and actions is necessary. Debasing them in the process is not and often is counter-productive.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1579 on: March 23, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2013, 11:14:48 PM by Nathan »

Maybe I'm just in a particularly self righteous or thoughtful mood tonight but there is a difference between respect for a person's behavior and beliefs and respect for someone as a fellow human being. Confronting people for their wrong headed beliefs and actions is necessary. Debasing them in the process is not and often is counter-productive.

I agree with you in theory, but I suppose you could say I'm in a particularly...er, non-self-righteous, thoughtless mood tonight (for reasons that antedate krazen's latest round of malarkey and weren't especially affected by it one way or another). Plus, he's a bit of a blind spot for my social standards in general, which is probably not a good thing but which concerns me less than it perhaps should.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1580 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »

It would be great indeed if we all were in all circumstances able to engage in constructive debate and never resort to personal hatred. But this is impossible, party because human beings are naturally prone to develop personal animosity and partly because some people just deserve it. It's not about being right or wrong, but about a general attitude and behavior. There's just no point in engaging in policy debate with Krazen, nothing good would ever come out of that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1581 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:21 PM »

Citing your damn sources is really not that hard.

No.  But the idea that you can 'say anything new' seems to me absurd.  Completely derivative is the only possibility for academic work.

Of course you can say something new... Not everything has already been written about.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #1582 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »

Of course you can say something new... Not everything has already been written about.
Please tell that to John Grisham.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1583 on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

I would like to note that when even Nathan is calling one a "puckered asshole", they must deserve it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1584 on: March 25, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »

The fact that people of any stature chose to associate with Ted Nugent after that tirade show how rotten they are.  People  who chose to associate with him are not fellow citizens, they are enemies of democracy--terrorists and traitors.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1585 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

The fact that people of any stature chose to associate with Ted Nugent after that tirade show how rotten they are.  People  who chose to associate with him are not fellow citizens, they are enemies of democracy--terrorists and traitors.

This is especially absurd, considering how many people probably own at least one Nugent record (most likely from the Seventies when he was still somewhat sane).
Does Dingojoe think the 3 million people who bought "Cat Scratch Fever" are traitors?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1586 on: March 25, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »

My god. This makes my statement sound reasonable.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1587 on: March 25, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »

I would like to note that when even Nathan is calling one a "puckered asshole", they must deserve it.
Indeed one wonders whether Nathan has verified the fact.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1588 on: March 25, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »

Indeed one wonders whether Nathan has verified the fact.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1589 on: March 25, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a left-winger argue for census suffrage:

I think this has become an issue of taxation without representation.

The larger cities are paying most of the taxes, but the outlying areas are getting most of the benefits. At the same time, the outlying areas are effectively controlling all of a state's electoral votes.

I'm sure you can find the same scam in other states. I bet Obama carried each of Indiana's 7 largest cities, even though Romney got all the electoral votes.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1590 on: March 25, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

Back when Lauren Faust was still on, it was probably the best written show on TV.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1591 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »

Wealthy liberals, ala Geore Soros, Warren Buffett, Ted Turner, etc.  There may be some wealthy conservative enclaves (Minneapolis/St. Paul suburbs, Southern suburbs, Orange County, CA), but most of the wealthiest areas outside of there are some of the most Democrat.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1592 on: March 25, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »

I would hardly say this is deluge-worthy. A bit of an exaggeration, sure - My Little Pony may have been an excellent show during Faust's run, but it was a far cry from the best-written thing on TV - but not at all worthy of being thrown in here with the likes of Krazen.

It's absurd therefore worthy of inclusion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1593 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:44 AM »

Wealthy liberals, ala Geore Soros, Warren Buffett, Ted Turner, etc.  There may be some wealthy conservative enclaves (Minneapolis/St. Paul suburbs, Southern suburbs, Orange County, CA), but most of the wealthiest areas outside of there are some of the most Democrat.

Wow.

What's the opposite of "gift that keeps on giving"?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1594 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:59 AM »

I would hardly say this is deluge-worthy. A bit of an exaggeration, sure - My Little Pony may have been an excellent show during Faust's run, but it was a far cry from the best-written thing on TV - but not at all worthy of being thrown in here with the likes of Krazen.

It's absurd therefore worthy of inclusion.

Mr Kemp is correct.
"The best written currently-running cartoon" would have been a legitimate opinion. "The best written show on TV" is absurd.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1595 on: March 29, 2013, 03:50:18 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with insulting people who deserve it.

It's usually a waste of time and effort better spent on other tasks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1596 on: March 29, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with insulting people who deserve it.

It's usually a waste of time and effort better spent on other tasks.

It is indeed a waste of time to some extent, but it feels so good. Many of the best things we do fall under that definition.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1597 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »

Snyder will be in great shape in 2014.

Because most Governors with 37/54 approvals are reelected just fine!

I'm so glad Governor Perdue is still in office!

A better example would be Pat Quinn.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1598 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »

Snyder will be in great shape in 2014.

Because most Governors with 37/54 approvals are reelected just fine!

I'm so glad Governor Perdue is still in office!

A better example would be Pat Quinn.

Comparing a Democratic governor in a dark blue state to a Republican governor in a light blue state is ludicrous, especially when that governor most likely won't even make it past the primary.

The bizarre time warp of using Mr. Snyder's approval rating in an arbitrary poll in March 2013 is certainly quite ludicrous, yes.

The unions think they can defeat our champion union busters; well, they thought so about Christie and Walker back in 2011.

It just keeps getting worse, BRTD.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1599 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

I really don't understand how you can say the economy wouldn't have been as bad in 2008. The crisis had absolutely nothing to do with tax cuts. It was due to the governments interference in the housing market via fannie mae & freddie mac. If anything the Gore economy would have been worse. Bush inherited a slumping economy that got worse because of 9/11. The tax cuts didn't take full effect until 2003, at which point, the economy picked up until the housing market bubble.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies