The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:36:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 261381 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »

The whole thread is a mess, but this is particularly bizarre:

(Jews won't fall for horses, and in fact they probably wouldn't've when the Siege of Troy itself was going on)

It was an attempt at humor: I was trying to say that the Arab states would not be able to defeat Israel using fake wooden horses, the way the Greek states defeated Troy, and then I continue to humorously note that proto-Jews were already around when the Greeks defeated Troy and humorously claim that this tactic would not have been successful against proto-Jews.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »

Same here.  Disgusting and pathetic.

Agreement.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »

Haha, no. Paul Ryan's ideas are rather tame and mainstream, and you can't get at him by attacking Ayn Rand, as most people haven't heard of her and most of the ones who have are fans.

In the context of American politics, something supported by essentially the entirety of the Republican Party is mainstream even if you disagree with it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »

Haha, no. Paul Ryan's ideas are rather tame and mainstream, and you can't get at him by attacking Ayn Rand, as most people haven't heard of her and most of the ones who have are fans.

In the context of American politics, something supported by essentially the entirety of the Republican Party is mainstream even if you disagree with it.

You do realize that polls have shown 54% of CONSERVATIVES opposed to Ryan's plans for Medicare, right? Also, your comment suggests you think the Republican Party is mainstream...LOL

Ryan's most recent budget plan, that of 2012, was co-sponsored by Democratic Senator and ex-aide to Wayne Morse Ron Wyden, which seems to suggest it's pretty bipartisan; Wyden isn't exactly a Blue Dog. And, considering 1/2 the electorate votes for it, the Republican Party is practically the definition of mainstream. (The Democrats are too).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

bash me all you want for this but I don't see why this is so bad. Less middle class people equals less reactionary politics.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

This might be the first election which doesn't have a racist element.

Ironically, I think of this post as absurd for the exact opposite reason Lief does.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »

Politics aside, anyone who thinks non-human animals should receive the same rights as humans deserve to have all of their views on everything disregarded.

A: In what way are humans not animals?

B: If you had a pet cat, and I killed it with a chainsaw, would you be sad?

A. Humans are animals, but the difference from other animals is what we call 'sapience'; which is that humans have come up with logical thinking, language, et cetera and other species haven't. Why do we ask, are we alone? After all, there are so many other species on the planet. But we ask if we are the only sapient species.

B. Yes. But that doesn't mean my cat deserves the right to vote, or to choose where to live, for instance. Also, what koenkai said.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »

Thank you for posting your conversation directly into the Deluge, guys.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuLebpUBCio

Gniloy fashistskoy nechesti...zagonim pulyu v lob!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

Vosem is a pretty hawkish Jew, so I think he might be serious.

Lieberman is mostly known for his foreign-policy stances, which I agree on, so yes, I do very much like Lieberman. That said, on second thought 'adore' is probably too strong a term, since Lieberman has a repressive streak (he's anti-violent video games, for example). But, yeah, Lieberman is one of my favorite NE leftists (if you call him that, I guess).

I know I'm taking the trollbait, but I love this.

'Trollbait'?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »

My teachers are too aware of what my reaction would be to try that with me...

Charming little fycker, aren't you?

Well, I don't like to be immodest, but...

When politics is discussed in my clique, it usually comes down to me saying something and everyone agreeing. I am a rather persuasive person in real life (I recall a rather heated argument about Libya with my English teacher, where I was actually against intervention and she was for it, where I managed to convince the entire class that Gaddafi was preferable to the rebels, and f**k the mainstream media).

Vosem's got some foot-in-mouth disease this week...

That was stated ineloquently, but I think the point -- my reaction would be to try to argue with the teacher on the merits of what they are saying, and considering precedent would have at least a fair chance of 'winning' in the sense of making the student body sympathetic to my point of view -- is pretty clear, and is basically the same thing that Torie said upthread.

That said, I've been getting a max of 6 hours of sleep a night for the past week, so at the very least I have an excuse.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:01:36 AM »

Ah, the venerable tradition of 'posting directly into the thread'.
Well, isn't it the absurdity, ignorance and bad post thread ?

Yes, but traditionally posts here are from posters who do not realize they are being absurd/ignorant/bad. It's a rare thing for somebody to post and aim to make it here (which is what you did with your veterans being hit by trains comment, right? Right?)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »

He's right...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »

Just ban guns.  Make every single gun ing illegal.  Lets become a civilized country.  It's 2012 not 1791.
I want to be free to leave my house in the morning without being in danger of being shot by some gun nut.  Respect my freedom please (and no, I am not going to buy a gun to protect myself because I am only protected when none of you have a gun)!  I don't want to live in a society of fear where everyone carries a gun.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »

Nothing wrong with that post. Banning guns is a sensible, mainstream position.

I really don't want to argue in the Deluge, but banning guns is neither sensible (it's like the marijuana argument in reverse; the government can then no longer regulate it/tax it and it goes underground and proliferates anyway and you end up with every Dick, Nat, and Jane owning a Chechnyan firecracker) nor is it a mainstream position (and this is easy to back up with numbers: http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/record-low-favor-handgun-ban.aspx . Note the trend; America is getting more and more pro-gun over time, and quickly).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »

Just because Americans are far outside of the mainstream doesn't make the position any less mainstream.

If 'mainstream' doesn't refer to the attitude of the majority, it becomes a literally meaningless word.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »

Just because Americans are far outside of the mainstream doesn't make the position any less mainstream.

If 'mainstream' doesn't refer to the attitude of the majority, it becomes a literally meaningless word.

The "attitude of the majority" of the world is to severely limit access to guns.

Proof? I'm sure you can find evidence suggesting that's the case for a majority of Western Europeans, but you'll find it difficult to argue about what 'the majority of the world' (in Asia) think about gun control. So that's basically an unprovable assertion. It's like asking if God exists -- merely faith. (We're talking about mainstream of people, not mainstream of governments, I assume.)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »

Why exactly are you pitting two renowned economists against a duo of failed clowns?

I don't think I would call O'Reilly or Limbaugh 'renowned economists'...

Vosem's attempt to be funny are almost as painful as Tim Pawlenty's attempt to appear hip by saying how much he likes Lady Gaga's songs.

It can't be denied that your post in that thread is much, much funnier than mine.

To wit:

The concept of two Nobel laureates, who correctly predicted and analyzed the crisis, being "dangerous" just shows what a good job Fox News has done when it comes to brainwashing its viewers.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »

Why exactly are you pitting two renowned economists against a duo of failed clowns?

I don't think I would call O'Reilly or Limbaugh 'renowned economists'...

Vosem's attempt to be funny are almost as painful as Tim Pawlenty's attempt to appear hip by saying how much he likes Lady Gaga's songs.

It can't be denied that your post in that thread is much, much funnier than mine.

To wit:

The concept of two Nobel laureates, who correctly predicted and analyzed the crisis, being "dangerous" just shows what a good job Fox News has done when it comes to brainwashing its viewers.

Why don't you just shut up? You only have 3000 posts, but they are all so painful to read that it feels like you have 300000.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »

You might have a stronger leg to stand on calling people who have won sort-of-Nobel Prizes 'failed clowns' by comparison to Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh if you weren't a snot-nosed, contrarian teenager who hasn't even been an undergraduate yet.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
How did you know about my cold?

But, in all seriousness, I would have a stronger leg to stand on on any topic if I wasn't a snot-nosed, contrarian teenager. It's an occupational hazard Tongue
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 07:47:07 PM by Vosem »

Haha, that's awesome. Really, he shouldn't get more than a slap on the wrist, though unfortunately he'll probably end up getting some significant jailtime.

You didn't think that psychopath was being totally "awesome", bro?

He was. Nobody was ever in danger, as he had no weapon on him. He was just an idiot, and idiocy of a sufficient scale is, as you say, totally awesome by virtue of its comedic value. Bro. I'd hate to be the kid whose dad did that, though...

All he actually did was, as ChairmanSanchez noted in the other thread, was disturbing the peace and trespassing. Both of which, on the first offense in most places, get a slap on the wrist. Instead he'll likely be sent to prison for terrorism.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 08:22:29 PM by Vosem »

Haha, that's awesome. Really, he shouldn't get more than a slap on the wrist, though unfortunately he'll probably end up getting some significant jailtime.

You didn't think that psychopath was being totally "awesome", bro?

He was. Nobody was ever in danger, as he had no weapon on him. He was just an idiot, and idiocy of a sufficient scale is, as you say, totally awesome by virtue of its comedic value. Bro. I'd hate to be the kid whose dad did that, though...

All he actually did was, as ChairmanSanchez noted in the other thread, was disturbing the peace and trespassing. Both of which, on the first offense in most places, get a slap on the wrist. Instead he'll likely be sent to prison for terrorism.

I'm glad you think scaring the hell out of people (probably little children included) to make a dumb political point is "awesome."

It's not the act itself so much as the line of reasoning that led to it.

1. There have been numerous school shootings recently.
2. There could be one at my child's school.
3. I have to make this less likely somehow.
4. I've got it -- I can arrive and test their security system by pretending to be an armed intruder!

The fact that this line of reasoning actually went through someone's head at some point is so funny that I do find it "awesome." Sorry if that offends you, I guess?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »

They're a reality in the civilized Western countries.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »

I have started the water drinking today, though. I didn't drink as much as I wanted to, but I'm just getting started!

Why is this post bad?

Because the average person needs 1.9 liters of water a day, and not getting that for an extended period entails a significant risk to your health, which is entirely avoidable in the US.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »

I don't think a country that supports universal health care, the AWB, abortion rights, and higher taxes while opposing cuts to Medicare and SS is "center-right".

Tell me, Alfred, how many Americans in the latest polling have agreed with the statement "I would like my taxes to be higher."?

Warren Buffett, at least. And higher taxes doesn't mean higher taxes on middle-class Americans; people want to raise taxes on the rich, and that counts.

People want taxes raised on everyone except themselves. The mercurial other.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies