CA-SurveyUSA: Gov. Brown's approval rating takes major hit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-SurveyUSA: Gov. Brown's approval rating takes major hit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CA-SurveyUSA: Gov. Brown's approval rating takes major hit  (Read 7599 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:25:30 AM »

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Jerry Brown is doing as Governor?

31% Approve
58% Disapprove

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=403409ae-358f-417d-8dbe-05f550bd71dc
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:27:49 AM »

Well, come on, who didn't see this coming a mile away?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:37:21 AM »

Running for governor of California, especially in 2010, is like asking to win the honor of being punched repeatedly in the face and charged five bucks each time for the pleasure.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:41:59 AM »

Running for governor of California, especially in 2010, is like asking to win the honor of being punched repeatedly in the face and charged five bucks each time for the pleasure.

I believe I called this back in 2010; I'll have to find my post.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:42:38 AM »

Don't bother.  I believe you.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:38 AM »

Calling that doesn't make you prescient. Calling that means you have common sense. California hasn't had a popular governor since the 1980s.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:26 AM »

Calling that doesn't make you prescient. Calling that means you have common sense. California hasn't had a popular governor since the 1980s.

Wasn't Deukerewrtjheufugrtegwjan pretty popular?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »

Seriously, this was more predictable than the end of every chick flick.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »

It didn't help Jerry that the deficit (which is illegal, but I digress) suddenly ballooned up to 16 billion from 9 billion, and now Jerry wants more taxes on top of the ones he already proposed while public employees remain overpaid, sometimes grossly so, and the prisons remain full of druggies, so the overpaid prison guards can have more folks to slap around. And then there is that super train thing, a very expensive white elephant.

It is all very interesting, because states cannot declare bankruptcy. I suspect CA will be going to the Feds soon to ask for money.  I suspect the reception it gets will not be a very friendly one.

It's an effing mess in short, a major cf. The state is being looted dry.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »

If Obama wins in 2012, meaning a likely pro-GOP year in 2014, could Whitman mount a successful challenge?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »

Wasn't Deukerewrtjheufugrtegwjan pretty popular?

Hence why I said "since the 1980s." (And yes, I realize he served in 1983-1991.)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

It didn't help Jerry that the deficit (which is illegal, but I digress) suddenly ballooned up to 16 billion from 9 billion, and now Jerry wants more taxes on top of the ones he already proposed while public employees remain overpaid, sometimes grossly so, and the prisons remain full of druggies, so the overpaid prison guards can have more folks to slap around. And then there is that super train thing, a very expensive white elephant.

It is all very interesting, because states cannot declare bankruptcy. I suspect CA will be going to the Feds soon to ask for money.  I suspect the reception it gets will not be a very friendly one.

It's almost enough to make you want to spend exactly 183 days a year in Florida or some other state with no income tax, huh, Torie?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 10:35:41 AM by Torie »

It is all very interesting, because states cannot declare bankruptcy. I suspect CA will be going to the Feds soon to ask for money.  I suspect the reception it gets will not be a very friendly one.

It's almost enough to make you want to spend exactly 183 days a year in Florida or some other state with no income tax, huh, Torie?

I would rather be broke or dead than have to live in Florida half the year. Ditto Nevada. No, if I flee, it will be to the San Juan islands in Washington or something. Pity I can't take my real estate "empire" with me. Anyway, unlike most, I am in a position where government cannot really affect my life style and what I do, no matter what it does (assuming opebo is not in charge Tongue ). I feel very sad however about the future of your generation, and those following. It looks rather grim really.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

If Obama wins in 2012, meaning a likely pro-GOP year in 2014, could Whitman mount a successful challenge?

Likely not.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

Brown needs to go after pensions much more. He needs to propose changing all pensions to a 401k system. His 12 point plan isn't cutting it. Also sadly we need to cut ihss and medical. These programs should be paid for at the federal level. And some community colleges should be closed and tuition rates increased. But taxes need to be raised too. Thought it should be more broadbase than what has been proposed.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 12:11:34 PM by hopper »

Brown only got elected because of Gloria Allred in the first place pulling Whitman's Illegal Immigrant Former Houekeeper out of hiding. If not for that Brown wouldn't even be in the Governor's Mansion right now.

Anyway, Californiens always reject new taxes on a ballot measure. They don't want it.

I mean Brown's approval rating went from the mid 40's to the low 30's because of a proposed tax hike. That should tell you something.

BTW, Why did Californiens re-elect Arnold back in 2006 anyway? The guy actually lower approval ratings at the end of his governership than George W. Bush did when he got out of the oval office.

What California needs right now is a Scott Walker or a John Kasich without the union busting measures. Or maybe California should ban collective bargaining rights for public employees. Maybe they wouldn't be a bad idea after all!
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 12:09:29 PM by hopper »

I thought Pete Wilson was popular during the 90's. No? Am I wrong?

California's run of dissapointment governerships is like NJ's now(before Christie.) McGreevey embarassed NJ and Corzine is a corrupt felon now. CA had Gray Davis who was recalled because of big spending. Then they had Arnold which didn't work out. I think Arnold got ran over by the public works unions. Now they got Brown. Its like when is the run of dissapointing governorships gonna end?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 12:24:00 PM by DrScholl »

Brown only got elected because of Gloria Allred in the first place pulling Whitman's Illegal Immigrant Former Houekeeper out of hiding. If not for that Brown wouldn't even be in the Governor's Mansion right now.

Anyway, Californiens always reject new taxes on a ballot measure. They don't want it.

I mean Brown's approval rating went from the mid 40's to the low 30's because of a proposed tax hike. That should tell you something.

BTW, Why did Californiens re-elect Arnold back in 2006 anyway? The guy actually lower approval ratings at the end of his governership than George W. Bush did when he got out of the oval office.

What California needs right now is a Scott Walker or a John Kasich without the union busting measures. Or maybe California should ban collective bargaining rights for public employees. Maybe they wouldn't be a bad idea after all!

The maid issue didn't help Whitman, but she would have lost anyway.

Scott Walker or John Kasich wouldn't get elected statewide here, they probably wouldn't even break 40%. If anyone like them was Governor here they'd get nothing done and make matters worse because they are too partisan.
hopper
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »

The maid issue didn't help Whitman, but she would have lost anyway.

Scott Walker or John Kasich wouldn't get elected statewide here, they probably wouldn't even break 40% and if they did, they'd get nothing done.
I thought Whitman was infront of Brown in the polls before the maid thing happened.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »

I doubt the maid thing made much of a difference in the end. The vote was about the same for senator and the state houses.

I wonder if California voters can pass a measure imposing 401k pension plans on all state workers. The city of San Diego is voting on something similar for its city workers. I don't know whether that would be legal. Anyone know?
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »

Does the 2/3 supermajority requirement for tax increases in California also apply to closing tax deductions/credits?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »

Democrats are pretty bad at managing states. California? Illinois? Disasters. New York is okay but still has a shortfall. Maryland, too, has a shortfall. While McDonnell's Virginia has a surplus.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

Democrats are pretty bad at managing states. California? Illinois? Disasters. New York is okay but still has a shortfall. Maryland, too, has a shortfall. While McDonnell's Virginia has a surplus.

Isn't Malloy pretty unpopular in CT too? Or am I just imagining that?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »

I thought Pete Wilson was popular during the 90's. No? Am I wrong?

The fact that Pete Wilson won re-election in 1994 is nothing short of a miracle. He was trailing by as much as 20% in 1993, and had some of the lowest approvals of any California governor, ever. The main reason why he won is (1) Wilson was a terrific campaigner who knew how to play hot-button issues like the death penalty, and (2) his opponent was inept at best.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

Maryland is doing alright.Colorado, Missouri, Arkansas, and Montana have Dem Governors and their balance sheets aren't complete disasters. Shweitzer in Montana is actually a Dem I could see myself voting for.  I agree CA along with Illinois are complete disasters. Maybe Illinois should have gone with Brady last election but he had like a nutty  view on something to do with animals or something. I remember Paul Begala talking about the animal thing on a couple occasions having to with Brady.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies