Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:46:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School  (Read 5152 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2012, 04:22:49 PM by Senator Seatown »

ITT: jmfcst tries to find isolated incidents that disprove Christian indoctrination in Middle & High Schools of America.  

Also are the Northerners and other Yuppies moving into a suburb 40 miles away from downtown Houston too now Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »

jmfcst, you're better than this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »

All 5 of jmfcst's points are blatantly false (13 years of public school).  #'s 2, 3 and 4 should be true, but they aren't.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »

Depends on what is meant entirely in 3, since the Bible has an important historical context as well, though teaching in regards to that is obviously not what jmfcst means so yeah, it should be true.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »

Couple of Points:

1)   How many godless, intellectually dishonest, incompetent “scholars” running universities have we dragged through the mud on this board over the years?  If that is what is running the universities (as well as the Hollywood, the media, and even many seminaries), are you people going to come on this thread and deny that the public primary and secondary schools in this country aren’t following suit…as if the public education system is immune to trends in society?  Does it make sense that the rest of society is moving one direction and our public schools are staying basically constant?!  Of course not, the public schools are moving along with it.

2)   Many of you probably wouldn’t recognize an attack on Christian morals (e.g. Obama believing he was being taught Christian values without a bible in the house of without attending a church…or Dibble not see anything wrong with Bill H.597).  Your senses have become dulled, but not only you, for even many grads from seminary have rejected the bible (e.g. among Anglican clergy, only 80% believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ, and only 60% believe in the Virgin Birth, and only 61% believe Jesus turned water into wine).  There is basically a landslide taking place where Western society is rapidly moving away from Christian beliefs, and the reason most of you don’t realize it is because, relatively speaking, you’re along for the ride, therefore you sense little to no relative motion.  The motion is only obvious if one remain still.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »

Couple of Points:

1)   How many godless, intellectually dishonest, incompetent “scholars” running universities have we dragged through the mud on this board over the years?  If that is what is running the universities (as well as the Hollywood, the media, and even many seminaries), are you people going to come on this thread and deny that the public primary and secondary schools in this country aren’t following suit…as if the public education system is immune to trends in society?  Does it make sense that the rest of society is moving one direction and our public schools are staying basically constant?!  Of course not, the public schools are moving along with it.

1. Yes, it is in fact the case, and does make sense, that public schools and universities are run entirely differently and by entirely different sets of people, as anybody can plainly see. Unless you think that they're teaching me about the buildup-climax-denouement model in my college literature classes, or taught me about the objective correlative in high school.

2. I'd thank you not to insult the quality of instruction in our universities on anecdotal grounds.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's possible, though it depends on what one defines as 'Christian values'.

Citation needed. I'm not denying the problematic nature of much contemporary Anglican theological instruction, but these are awfully specific numbers.

You're not wrong, but you're not remaining still. You're moving far afield from the historical, cultural, and intellectual tradition of proper credal Chalcedonian Christianity as well, just in a different direction. So of course you would perceive that motion (which I perceive too, because I'm moving in a third direction).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »

1) How many godless, intellectually dishonest, incompetent “scholars” running universities have we dragged through the mud on this board over the years?  If that is what is running the universities (as well as the Hollywood, the media, and even many seminaries),

That you've managed to drag a number of people whose credentials are questionable that you learned about in sensationalist news articles is not a reflection of who is actually running universities.

Our primary public education system have a few degrees of separation as Nathan points out. You have different groups running them, as well as different compositions among the groups attending.

You still haven't pointed out exactly which part of said bill offends you so.

The reason seminary grads often end up rejecting the Bible is because two of the big things they learn are the actual history regarding how the Bible was compiled and counter-apologetic arguments that they'll be expected to be able to defend against. That's the risk you take when you expose someone to facts and criticism that are counter to what they've believed to be true - they might change their mind.

I assure you many of us are quite aware of the changes occurring within society, but at the same time your end of days paranoia blinds you to all the places where your "Christian values" still run rampant. This country most of all among Western nation is considered to be quite an oddity because of the sheer degree of religiosity that is present.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies