2008: An Election of Firsts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:20:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: An Election of Firsts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Should this timeline:
end now?

go until 2008?

go until 2012?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: 2008: An Election of Firsts  (Read 19870 times)
Spamage
spamage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »

Cool.  More please Wink

Oh, and before I forget:

haha thats pretty cool and thanks for supporting this! The next update or 2 will be about potential VP's I'll try to get 1 in tonight but might not be able to til tomorrow!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

Cool.  More please Wink

Oh, and before I forget:

haha thats pretty cool and thanks for supporting this! The next update or 2 will be about potential VP's I'll try to get 1 in tonight but might not be able to til tomorrow!

Thanks for writing this Wink.  I really don't have much else to do and good TL's like these are what keeps me going over the summer Cheesy
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »

John Kerry’s Potential “Veeps”

Evan Bayh

Former/Current Positions: Governor of Indiana
                                           Senator of Indiana

Pros: Senator Bayh is a good choice for President Kerry because he could potentially turn Indiana into a swing/ lean Democrat state in thise election cycle. Also, he is moderate on several issues which has the potential to attract independents.

Cons: He is a moderate on several issues and that could lead to a lesser Democratic enthusiasm and a smaller turnout.

Joe Biden

Former/Current Positions: Senator of Delaware

Pros: An experienced Democrat who will stand with Democrats on many issues. Also has been in office long enough to appear presidential if something happens to Kerry.

Cons: A “2 old white men” ticket would have very little enthusiasm overall, also he is very gaffe-prone. Also there may be backlash from a 2 Catholic ticket.

Bill Nelson

Former/Current Positions: Senator of Florida
                                           Representative of Florida
                                           Secretary of Homeland Security

Pros: From Florida and could add that state into Kerry’s column because it’s a swing state.

Cons: The fact that he is from Florida could be viewed as the only reason he is chosen, having the potential to backfire and become a campaign issue.

Bill Richardson

Former/Current Positions: Governor of New Mexico
                                           Representative of New Mexico
                                           Secretary of Energy (Clinton)
                                           Secretary of State (Kerry)
                                           U.N. Abassador

Pros: Richardson has high name recognition, is Hispanic, and is from the lean D/swing state of New Mexico. Also shares sentiment of many Democrats on issues.

Cons: A double-Catholic ticket could backfire, also there are rumors in the tabloids of corruption while he’s been in Kerry’s Cabinet.

Mark Warner

Former/Current Positions: Governor of Virginia
                                           Senator of Virginia

Pros: Warner is a very popular Governor/Senator from a new potential swing state.  Widely known Kerry would have no trouble getting his name out.

Cons: Warner is considered a “blue dog dem” and is conservative on several issues. This could actually backfire on Kerry with his own base. Some polls also show that him being on the ticket may not entirely change Virginians minds.

Other wildcards: Howard Dean
                           Ron Wyden
                           Nancy Pelosi
                           Mike Beebe
                           Christine Gregoire

Up next Rice’s………….
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »

Biden is the right choice!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

I like Bob Graham, but as he isn't on the list I'd go with Warner
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2012, 06:37:35 PM by spamage »

Rudy Giuliani

Former/Current Positions: Mayor of New York City

Pros: Rudy Giuliani is both well known and popular, him and Rice exchanged no major blows during the campaign. Also he might be an asset in fundraising.

Cons: Giuliani is pro-choice and Rice has states in the past she is “mildly pro-choice”. Combined they would almost surely turn off Social Conservatives. Giuliani also has the potential to overshadow Rice as he was the initial  favorite this election cycle.

Mike Huckabee

Pros: Mike Huckabee is an outspoken Social Conservative, which would give that group in the party enthusiasm.

Cons: During several debates Huckabee called Rice, along with Giuliani “phony candidates who wouldn’t protect the unborn.” It did receive a lot of media attention and could cause Rice choosing him to backfire.

Tim Pawlenty

Former/Current Positions: Governor of Minnesota

Pros: Pawlenty is Governor of the potential swing state of Minnesota. Also is a conservative which would end doubts about Rice being too moderate.

Cons: Pawlenty is relatively unknown and wouldn’t spawn any new, large fundraising efforts or gain many new voters.

Rob Portman

Former/Current Positions: Representative of Ohio
                                           Senator of Ohio

Pros: A conservative representative and an aseet for preisdent Bush in his campaign by essentially being as the madia claims "ambassador to the White House" from a crucial swing state for Rice’s victory.

Cons: Not too well known and wouldn't give any enthusiasm to the ticket and wouldn't likely increase Rice;s standing in too many polls.

Mitt Romney

Former/Current Positions: Governor of Massachusetts

Pros: Romney is a successful businessman which could be an advantage in the slowly declining economic conditions. Also choosing him could unite and enthuse his supporters from the Primaries by creating the “dream team“. He has a large amount of money and a high fundraising ability.

Cons: Romney and Rice were the last to candidates in the primaries for over half the contest. They were generally civil but there were some blows exchanged.

Other wildcards: Sarah Palin
                            John Boehner
                            Jeb Bush
                            John  McCain
                            Newt Gingrich
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »

Cool.  More please Wink

Oh, and before I forget:

Thanks for writing this Wink.  I really don't have much else to do and good TL's like these are what keeps me going over the summer Cheesy

Is it all right if I downsize and use the rice sign in my signature for this timeline?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »

I say Biden for Kerry.

The best choice for Rice would probably be Huckabee.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »

Cool.  More please Wink

Oh, and before I forget:

Is it all right if I downsize and use the rice sign in my signature for this timeline?

Not at all; it's from Wikipedia Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »

Cool.  More please Wink

Oh, and before I forget:

Not at all; it's from Wikipedia Wink

Thanks, there won't be an update today, but I'm working on a pretty crucial one for tomorrow
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »

Looking forward to it Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »

In early July The Nation Enquirer released a story involving Vice-President Edwards. In the story the article claims that he had been having an affair with a videographer for a few months. The report is then begun to be further researched by major new networks. After about 2 days NBC News, CNN, and Fox News simultaneously release the story to the public. There is no response from the White House but Rice is outraged. “How can any decent person do something like this. Its terrible and just proves he doesn’t deserve the office he holds. Polls show most Americans share her sentiment.

Do you believe the allegations of Vice-President Edwards affair?

Yes 64%
No 34%

Who do you support for president?

Condoleezza Rice 54%
John Kerry 45%

Kerry’s campaign was sinking and sinking fast in both national and statewide polls. Finally Edwards gives a speech 3 days after the story first aired.

“I’m truly sorry for all those I’ve hurt and completely regret my inappropriate behavior. I’m ashamed to admit it is true.”

Hours later several networks begin speculating that perhaps Edwards was using taxpayer dollars to cover it up, a charge which he vehemently denies. Kerry distances himself from the entire incident but he is constantly slammed on it by Rice. Calls are made for Edwards to either resign or be impeached. Edwards releases a further statement the next day stating:

“I have no intention of resigning, the incident doesn’t affect my job in any way and I will continue to serve the nation with to the best of my ability.”

Following this statement Rice’s online fundraising explodes with massive donations. This further increases pushes for Edwards to step down. Impeachment hearings are scheduled for late-July.

“They’ve known all along. Why else do you think that he decided not to run?! Its ridiculous, Edwards does not deserve his office and should step down… Come on! What are they thinking?”- Bill O’Reilly

“Look, overall this just helps Rice. Edwards needs to step down if there’s going to be any chance of the Democrats retaining the presidency.”- Rachael Maddow

National electoral map outlook
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

Saw a video of Condi on youtube talking with Katie Couric on the Iraq War. After having watched that, I'm sure she would've fared very well in the debates, though maybe speaking too deliberately and complexly for the modern debate format. I like her way of speakign quite well.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »

By the time late July had rolled around very little had changed in the political sphere. Although people were sick of hearing about Edwards affair the impeachment proceedings were approaching fast, even though they were pushed back a few weeks until mid-August. Meanwhile Rice was making final preparations to announce her choice for Vice-President. Kerry was as well, but decided he would wait until the convention was closer.

In all aspects for Rice announcing her fellow ticket member would bode well because the current Vice President was having so much trouble. Speculation began to overtake the affair in the media and it increased even further when she scheduled a press conference in New Hampshire for Friday. By Wednesday she was in that very state campaigning and apparently meeting with her future VP.

On Thursday morning the media focused on Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, and Tim Pawlenty because they all had schedules that would line them up to be in that state on Friday. Blogs abounded with people wishing for the “dream team”, complaining because no one on the short-short list was a well known, strong  conservative.

More to come this evening….. including Rice’s VP!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »

9:02 AM Concord, New Hampshire
Breaking News: Rice is announcing her Vice-Presidential Nominee

“Welcome back to the TODAY Show, we have some incoming news from New Hampshire. Condoleezza Rice is announcing her choice for Vice President is just a few moments. We’ll be there live in a moment but first we’re going to speak with Tom Brokaw on the gravity of this decision.”

“Thank you Matt, as many of you know the Rice Campaign has probably spent many hours working on this choice, whoever is picked could truly have the power to change the entire course of this election. Most specul-“

“Sorry to cut you off Tom, but we have incoming reports that Rice is taking the podium and we’re cutting there live.”

“Hello and good morning, I can not think of a more beautiful morning to make this announcement…. For the past few years I’ve watched this nation truly divide. Under the current Administration we’ve lost jobs, lost loved ones in the wars, and lost our power. President Kerry has shown time and time again that he prefers to divide and conquer while campaigning instead of speaking to all Americans and opening a broader dynamic of campaigning. That is the style I shall follow and one that I hope my Vice President would too. Yes, I realize I’m the first African-American and female to be chosen as our nominee. But I wont use it to exhort American’s votes.

This has truly lead my thinking and the thinking of those I have appointed to oversee the so called “Veepstakes”. When going over the names I realized one stood out. He, yes he, was a committed Governor and stood up time and time again against those who had plans and ideas that would move America backwards, change it fundamentals, and threaten our constitutional rights. I realize almost no one knows him, but he was a truly devoted Governor, he deserves my respect and it is a great honor to introduce him even though we had our scrapes in the Primaries. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to my new Vice Presidential Nominee, Mitt Romney!”

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and especially thank you to Condoleezza Rice, she’ll lead this party to victory come November. What can I say. This is such an honor to be chosen by someone as pioneering as Condi. She was a tireless worker while National Security Advisor and an inspirational one at that. She has proven all those who said that there will never be an African American or Female president wrong. Together we’ll get America back on track and lead all of us to a better tomorrow. Thank you!”

(Back at the Today Show) “Well there you go. Today the speculation ends, the “Dream Team” has been created and in my opinion it was an interesting choice to do so.”

Rice’s choice is very attractive to independents as both are center-right. Speculation arises that there will be very little conservative support but polls show the opposite as the party’s wounds from the primaries begin to heal. Kerry uses Romney’s criticisms of Rice in an ad but Rice quickly responds using Edwards criticisms on Kerry in 2004. Rice’s standing improves in Michigan, New Hampshire, and Nevada. Also, she gets positive press for several days because of it.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »

This ticket flipped is my dream for 2012.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2012, 08:41:33 PM »

I agree, I just wish Rice would try to run but she just keeps brushing it off
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

Not to sidetrack from the narrative, but a Romney/Rice ticket would be dynamite this fall!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »

The Kerry Campaign was stunned by Rice’s announcement and began formulating a way in which they could stop the positive press for Condoleezza Rice and Mitt Romney. In the end several advisors decided the best idea to save the campaign would be to have Edwards resign and use Richardson as only a temporary Vice President until Kerry makes his final decision. This is the general consensus and on July 29th John Kerry meets with John Edwards and asks him to resign in order to save the party in the upcoming election cycle. Although initially needing some convincing Edwards decides that on July 31st he will resign from office in order to avoid the embarrassment of impeachment. On July 30th the White House publicly announces there will be a new conference the following morning.

At the start of the press conference John Edwards approaches the stage:

“Hello, my fellow Americans. As the majority of you know during the last month I have been humbled by allegations of an affair which I do confirm. I did engage in sexual relations with Rielle Hunter. I’m truly sorry to all those I’ve hurt and regret my actions. I realize now its time to take responsibility for my actions. Effective Midnight tonight I will be resigning form my duties as Vice President of the United States. I realize this may outrage some and give joy to others but at this time I cannot serve my nation properly, which is what I was elected to do. I want to say that my actions do not reflect the entire Administration and especially President Kerry. It has truly been an honor to serve as your Vice President and I hope that in the future you my come to peace with this incident. Thank you to those who’ve supported me even though I didn’t deserve it. Tonight I’m leaving Washington. I’m sorry to those I’ve failed. There will me no questions.”

America is shocked. Almost immediately speculation begins that there is something the White House doesn’t want investigated in the impeachment hearings. At midnight, the early morning of August 1st America is without a Vice President. Stories circulate in the media on who his interim replacement will be and on August 2nd Kerry decides Howard Dean, his cabinet member will be promoted to the office. In the same pres conference however Kerry confirms that Dean isn’t even on his shortlist for November and will only serve the remaining 5 months in the Vice Presidential Spot.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2012, 01:05:07 AM by spamage »

Following Edwards resignation news quieted down. America now was completely focused on the 2008 Summer Olympics and it seemed both Rice and Kerry were essentially forgotten. Final convention preparations were being made as well. The Republicans were to be in St. Paul and the Democrats in Denver. Both appeared to be highly anticipated. Kerry’s campaign released a small statement saying they were reevaluating his Vice Presidential list in order to find one who fit with the current political climate.

Kerry’s poll numbers began to slightly increase as the Edwards scandal faded to the background. As the Olympics finally came to a close the next day would be the start of the Republican National Convention. The media broadcasted many stories about potential poll bumps within the states but otherwise the nation stared forward in anticipation for the coming election.

I do realize this is a short update but the next one will be about the RNC and the one after that about the DNC so I needed the story to be continuous.  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »

Any third party candidates making a splash?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »

A quick correction you might want to make:

Traditionally, the incumbment party goes last, so under this scenario, the GOP would have their convention first. Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:16 AM »

Any third party candidates making a splash?

Not really, Paul was heavily considered as a potential libertarian candidate following his statements when he left the race but nothing materialized. Also Nader is making another run like IRL
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »

A quick correction you might want to make:

Traditionally, the incumbment party goes last, so under this scenario, the GOP would have their convention first. Smiley
Thanks! Fixed it.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »

Awesome; looking forward to more!

And yes, Romney / Rice would be awesome this fall.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies