2008: An Election of Firsts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: An Election of Firsts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should this timeline:
end now?

go until 2008?

go until 2012?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: 2008: An Election of Firsts  (Read 19808 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

Thanks for all the support guys! I really appreciate it!

“Hello and welcome back. Election returns continue to come in its truly been an exciting evening so far. But first we’re continuing with the recent poll closings. We didn’t receive results from these states until now… Minnesota will go for Governor Romney and Illinois is too close to call”

Minnesota Caucuses 2% Reporting
Mitt Romney 55%
Condoleezza Rice 44%

Illinois Presidential Preference Election 4% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 49%
Mitt Romney 49%

“And now we are going live to Condoleezza Rice’s speech from Atlanta, Georgia…”

(cheers) “Tonight truly is AMAZING!! Not only is democracy happening all around the nation but the results keep getting closer and closer!!! What an awesome night!  Now, first off I have several thank-yous I need to give. First, to all my endorsers such as Colin Powell and Rudy Giuliani. You guys have campaigned tirelessly for me and I really appreciate it. Second, to my staff. The fact that you would give the time and effort to support me really is quite humbling. I’m eternally grateful for your effort and time that you’ve put into this campaign. And last, but certainly not least thanks to you all of my supporters nationwide. Your choice is showing tonight and I believe it shows you want a better America, a more prosperous America, and a more equal America. I will deliver on those issues. President Kerry hasn’t and I’m pretty sure my opponent wouldn’t. That’s why your vote is so important and…….”

“We have to interrupt Ms. Rice’s speech because we are making a call……  Mitt Romney has won yet another state, Colorado. Yes we repeat, although Rice led in polling Mitt Romney will take Colorado. Yet another stunning change in events. We’re now also preparing for the next state poll closings in Utah and Montana.

Colorado Caucuses 29% Reporting
Mitt Romney 54%
Condoleezza Rice 45%

“Its now time for 2 more poll closings and NBC can say with 100% confidence Mitt Romney will be the winner in Utah, however Montana remains too close to call as does Illinois from earlier.”

Utah 2% Reporting
Mitt Romney 78%
Condoleezza Rice 22%

Montana Invitational Caucuses 2% Reporting
Mitt Romney 51%
Condoleezza Rice 49%

Illinois Presidential Preference Election 57% Reporting
Mitt Romney 50%
Condoleezza Rice 49%

“We’ll be back in a few… stay tuned.”

Mitt Romney 537 Delegates
Condoleezza Rice 414 Delegates
Mike Huckabee 10 Delegates
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »

“Here we go in what will be our last segment of the evening on the 2008 GOP Super Tuesday Contests…… we are just moments away from the largest state closing its polls and giving us its results. Yes, that’s right California will only be voting for 2 more minutes we have exit polling and will be able to make a call…… Mitt Romney wins California….. yes Mitt Romney will carry California….. Not a stunning victory but a large one.”

California Primary 3% Reporting
Mitt Romney 61%
Condoleezza Rice 38%

“We will now go to Governor Romney as he gives his speech in Los Angeles.”

(Loud cheering) “We’re in the lead again!…… Thank you everyone, for voting, for participating,  for volunteering. Thanks to Ann, Nancy, and George Bush Sr. You guys have campaigned tirelessly and your work is showing tonight now that we lead!…. America is showing it doesn’t want another Washington insider this election, whether it be Ms. Rice or President Kerry. Both have spent their careers there and don’t understand the troubles America is facing. Illegal immigration, reckless spending, and overseas fighting are hurting this nation. I will offer solutions to these issues and pledged to continue America’s lead around the World….”

“We have to cut into Governor Romney’s speech to deliver some news that will be harmful to his campaign….. Rice carries Illinois, yes a shocker…. Rice carries Illinois.”

Illinois Presidential Preference Election 91% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 53%
Mitt Romney 47%

“Romney was originally expected to win this state but it obviously didn’t pan out in his favor.”

“Its now time for the last polls in the nation tonight to be counted. Alaska, the great frontier will now begin giving results. We are going to make a call in 5… 4…. 3…2….1….
Alaska will be carried, quite comfortably by the looks of it, by Mitt Romney. Yes, that’s correct Mitt Romney wins Alaska.

Alaska Caucuses 4% Reporting
Mitt Romney 59%
Condoleezza Rice 46%

“10 minutes left in our Broadcast and the final state is going to be called. Rice will carry Montana, her trips there in the summer really paid off as she wins there tonight.”

Montana Invited Caucuses 81% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 53%
Mitt Romney 45%

Mitt Romney 739 Delegates
Condoleezza Rice 509 Delegates
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »

Go Condi!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »

Sorry guys that this ones a little short, I'm not going to be able to update this weekend

Following Super Tuesday Romney took a week off to be with family, Rice however campaigns heavily across Kansas and Washington in an effort to start turning the tide in delegates. She takes 1 day off out of the 4 from attacking Mitt Romney and she aims her fire at President Kerry calling him: “incapable” “Floundering” and “an undevoted President.” Kerry asks for an apology but one is never issued.

Kansas Primary 100% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 52.6%
Mitt Romney 47.4%

Louisiana Primary (remaining 20 delegates)
Condoleezza Rice 64%
Mitt Romney 44%

Washington Caucuses
Condoleezza Rice 50.1%
Mitt Romney 49.6%
(18 out of 40)

Are we done yet….”- Time Magazine

“3 More down”- USA TODAY

Romney would end his break by campaigning hard to win part of the Potomac Primaries, all of which Rice was favored to win…..”

Virginia Primary
Condoleezza Rice 53%
Mitt Romney 46%

Washington D.C. Primary
Mitt Romney 54%
Condoleezza Rice 45%

Maryland Primary
Condoleezza Rice 51%
Mitt Romney 48%

Condi did worse than originally expected. She suffered in D.C. because it was a closed primary, therefore there wasn’t any Democratic African-American turnout. The primary election pushes forward in what is expected to be a long campaign.

Mitt Romney 758 Delegates
Condoleezza Rice 686 Delegates
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »

Keep it coming!  Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »

Keep going! Must say, I was hoping for Huck to do better. While I wasn't rooting for him four years ago, I still liked him, and Romney doesn't seem like the candidate for Iowa.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »

Keep going! Must say, I was hoping for Huck to do better. While I wasn't rooting for him four years ago, I still liked him, and Romney doesn't seem like the candidate for Iowa.

Surprise

Why?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

Update in the works... coming tonight or tomorrow
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »

Surprise

Why?

Why you hatin' on Huck? I like(d) the candidate of the common man idea. He was the only big one back in '08. Not a big fan of his fiscal or immigration policies, but I like him as a person. Hell, I was hopin' he'd hope into 2012 just to give us an anti-Romney that could be a front-runner.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »

Surprise

Why?

Why you hatin' on Huck? I like(d) the candidate of the common man idea. He was the only big one back in '08. Not a big fan of his fiscal or immigration policies, but I like him as a person. Hell, I was hopin' he'd hope into 2012 just to give us an anti-Romney that could be a front-runner.

I don't like Huck, he's a liar.  I'm not saying he's unlikeable, but he's a dirty rotten plain-old vote-nabbing faux conservative media whore.  Sorry Wink.  In all seriousness, I'm sure he's the kind of guy, along with W. and Clinton, who you'd wanna sit down, burn one (cigar), and watch the super bowl with.  But politically, he's just bluh.  That's a scientific definition Wink.  His positions are just weird, and he just reminds me (and probably a lot of American voters) too much of W.  His record as governor of AR is just abysmal.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »

Is anyone still interrested in reading this? I realize it dropped off the face of the Earth due to the last few weeks of School but I could keep going if I had a few days to get my plan back together for this.......
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »

I've been reading this and like it! Smiley Would love to see how it progresses.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »

I've been reading this and like it! Smiley Would love to see how it progresses.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »

Is anyone still interrested in reading this? I realize it dropped off the face of the Earth due to the last few weeks of School but I could keep going if I had a few days to get my plan back together for this.......

I still like it Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »

Great! It'll be a few days before I can get an update in but I believe I'll be able to finish it! Thanks for the support!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »

The Republican Primaries continued on February 19th in Wisconsin and Washington state. Rice focused on Wisconsin because she would almost surely carry Washington due to her earlier victory for the other delegates. Romney on the other hand downplayed the importance of the 2 states and worked ahead in larger future contests. Republican leaders met with the candidates separately in an attempt  to end the prolonged race which was inadvertently hurting the party with independents and also giving the Democrats ammunition. Some determined Rice had the upper hand with her string of victories while others pointed out Romney still had more delegates. Regardless, people headed to the polls on the 19th to chose the party’s nominee. Wisconsin remained close until later in the evening when, along with Washington it was revealed Rice had, yet again, swept the night. Over the following days the media crowned her the presumptive nominee even though in reality the race was still close.

Wisconsin Primary

Condoleezza Rice 53%
Mitt Romney 46%

Washington Primary (part 2)

Condoleezza Rice 56%
Mitt Romney 44%

After the primaries new national polls revealed that the Republicans needed a nominee fast if they were to win come November. Kerry’s approval was rebounding and it started to show in nationwide polls. Electoral maps began to change giving new hope to the Left on what was viewed to be losing election.

Also focus shifts back towards the White House when in a joint press conference with the President John Edwards announces he will not be returning to the Vice-Presidency. He claims: “I believe that I need to focus on my future, my party’s future, and our nation’s future. I served my nation with dignity but must step down to move forward my political future.”. Behind the scenes however, not known to the public, he is trying to avoid word of his affair being released. The media begins to dig but it will be a while before there is any sort of breakthrough.

Do you support the Vice President’s decision to step down?

Yes 46%
No 50%
Unsure 4%

Who should replace John Edwards on President Kerry’s ticket?

Hillary Clinton 19%
Barack Obama 11%
Mark Warner 9%
Bill Richardson 5%
Al Gore 5%
Evan Bayh 4%
Unsure/Someone Else 47%

The Republicans immediately pounce calling the Administration weak. Romney for their economics and Rice for their foreign policy. Neither, however, visits American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands. Although Romney wins it is largely ignored by the media and the candidates themselves.

Mitt Romney 776 Delegates
Condoleezza Rice 745 Delegates
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:46 PM »

Keep it comin!  Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2012, 07:55:35 PM by spamage »

Romney spent several days contemplating his future in the campaign while Rice stumped heavily in Puerto Rico. He didn’t visit the territory once and that fact was clear in the results.

Puerto Rice Primary

Condoleezza Rice 64%
Mitt Romney  36%

Rice V Kerry

The day after Puerto Rice Romney reveals that if he doesn’t win the quad-primary in the coming week he will end his campaign. This comes just hours after national polling maps are released showing Rice has a better chance of defeating President Kerry. Although not extremely surprising it develops into a serious blow to his campaign.

Meanwhile Rice received a high-profile endorsement from Oprah Winfrey. In a joint appearance Winfrey sates “She is truly a transformational figure. Both in race and gender. Although we may not agree on some issues she is definitely the candidate our nation needs. She’ll be a breath of fresh air.”  They begin to campaign together in several swing states.

The important day quickly arrived for both campaigns. It would determine whether or not the race would continue, and if they candidates would give the Democrats ammunition for the November election. Romney rallied support in Vermont while Rice met voters in Ohio. As polls began to close the initial outlook looked pleasing to the Romney camp with a swift victory in Vermont. That outlook, however, changed completely when Rice received and early victory in Ohio. Suddenly Romney’s Rhode Island and Vermont victories were tiny. Half an hour later another Rice victory, Texas. Though expected it proved Rice truly would likely be the nominee. Romney scheduled a speech for the following morning after seeing the sobering results.

Vermont Primary

Mitt Romney 57%
Condoleezza Rice 41%

Rhode Island Primary

Mitt Romney 54%
Condoleezza Rice 44%

Ohio Primary

Condoleezza Rice 57%
Mitt Romney 43%

Texas Primary

Condoleezza Rice 62%
Mitt Romney 37%

The following morning:
“Today I end my journey to save America and pass my torch onto Condoleezza Rice. I give her my unconditional support and complete backing in her future fight to save America. Thanks for your support. I feel I’ve truly learned the values and visions of the people in America and truly believe Rice will lead our party to victory come November. I appreciate all you’ve done, every minute of your volunteering it has been the ride of a lifetime.”

Final Primary Results

Condoleezza Rice- Green
Mitt Romney- Blue
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »

Awesomeness Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

As soon as the primaries we’re finished it was June. The start of the second most important season in the campaign began. Kerry began mounting a full scale effort in trying to avoid the “summer doldrums” which had plagued his administration over the past 2 summers. This year had the potential to be the same. Gas prices began to moderately increase and Rice was ready to pounce. Any mistake by either campaign could cost them the election due to extremely close national polls.

Also in June the “veepstakes” began. Both parties would be choosing a new vice-presidential nominee and rumors abounded. Several high profile candidates announced they wouldn’t accept the job. Hillary Clinton said she would like to pursue her career in the Senate further and Barack Obama claimed he wanted to become more experienced before running. This truly put Kerry in a predicament. It was revealed by several accidental leaks that he would chose a woman or African-American because it could give him negative press due to Condoleezza being a member of both groups. Several names thrown around included Mark
Warner, Joe Biden, Bill Nelson, Bill Richardson, and Evan Bayh.

Condoleezza Rice claimed she needed a “boring white guy” for her vice presidential nominee. Some people were thrown around because they could either bring a state, voting group, or fundraising advantage to the campaign. Mitt Romney, Rob Portman, Mike Huckabee, Tim Pawlenty, and Rudy Giuliani.

Also speculation on when the candidates would announce their “veep” arose. Rice said she would announce hers  before the convention but wasn’t overly clear, while John Kerry said he would “male that decision sometime soon”.

Further analysis to come.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 06:15:08 PM by Jerseyrules »

Cool.  More please Wink

Oh, and before I forget:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »