Maryland Democrats unleash taxation on 6 figure earners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland Democrats unleash taxation on 6 figure earners
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maryland Democrats unleash taxation on 6 figure earners  (Read 2273 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/2012/05/16/gIQAfPutUU_story.html

More than 300,000 Maryland residents will pay higher income taxes under a package given final approval by the legislature Wednesday.

The tax increase affects single-filers reporting income in excess of $100,000 and joint-filers reporting more than $150,000 in Maryland, the state with the nation’s highest per-capita income.

Maryland General Assembly counts down the calendar: Maryland lawmakers were preparing to end their 2012 session — and pass a fiscal 2013 budget.

Democratic lawmakers closed ranks behind Gov. Martin O’Malley (D), who argued that his administration needed more money to continue record spending on education.

Congrats, $100kers. For your hard work and success, you just joined the ranks of the 'millionaires' and the 'rich', and you have been marked. Best of luck!
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:36 PM »

I live just south of the Md/VA border. Md. has better roads, better police, better schools. The schools part is probably the largest benefit, people in Va. complain about how terrible the schools are.

You get what you pay for which is why in my county in Va. there are only two deputies on duty on weekends to patrol the whole county.

But on the plus side we have lower taxes. And cheaper cigarettes.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:44:43 PM »

I live just south of the Md/VA border. Md. has better roads, better police, better schools. The schools part is probably the largest benefit, people in Va. complain about how terrible the schools are.

You get what you pay for which is why in my county in Va. there are only two deputies on duty on weekends to patrol the whole county.

Ah yes, priorities. Tongue

Seriously though, you do raise probably the most important issue surrounding taxation though. There seems to be a massive disconnect in the culture of rhetoric between taxes and public services. I don't know that it could be any more clear at this point, yet people still seem to refuse to believe they get anything out of paying taxes. It's just some sort of fee for living under our government to some people. Not that I'm not wary of their efficiency, ethics, priorities etc. However, I can say with absolute certainty that I have infinitely less faith in private industry handling vital needs effectively than our horrendous government. Privately financing police, schools, roads, and such is a terrifying concept.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:21 PM »

Ah yes, priorities. Tongue

Seriously though, you do raise probably the most important issue surrounding taxation though. There seems to be a massive disconnect in the culture of rhetoric between taxes and public services. I don't know that it could be any more clear at this point, yet people still seem to refuse to believe they get anything out of paying taxes. It's just some sort of fee for living under our government to some people. Not that I'm not wary of their efficiency, ethics, priorities etc. However, I can say with absolute certainty that I have infinitely less faith in private industry handling vital needs effectively than our horrendous government. Privately financing police, schools, roads, and such is a terrifying concept.
Have you ever considered joining the Labor party in Atlasia?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »

Absolutely not. I have a long, strenuous history with regards to Atlasia that I left behind years ago. I've attempted to reignite some sort of interest here and there, but unfortunately I'm just so completely not into it anymore.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

Freedom State
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »

Absolutely not. I have a long, strenuous history with regards to Atlasia that I left behind years ago. I've attempted to reignite some sort of interest here and there, but unfortunately I'm just so completely not into it anymore.
We have been wanting old players to return to the game. Sad
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »

The top state income tax rate will be 8.95%?  Oh, the horror, the horror!  I don't remember the CA rate ever being that low. Tongue  Of course, now the push is on to get it up to 13% or something.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »

Congrats, $100kers. For your hard work and success, you just joined the ranks of the 'millionaires' and the 'rich', and you have been marked. Best of luck!

krazen continues to be my favorite parody poster.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »

How awful! Why, if we just god rid of government waste and closed some loopholes..we wouldn't have to subject these hard-working, middle class Americans to further pain and humiliation.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »

I'm sure they'll all immediately sell their houses and start commuting to their jobs from Wyoming.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »

Well, it's bad, but it's to be expected from a state government like Maryland's.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »

How awful! Why, if we just god rid of government waste and closed some loopholes..we wouldn't have to subject these hard-working, middle class Americans to further pain and humiliation.
6 figure earners lol
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

I know, I know...I don't have anything against it, it just never seems to stick anymore.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

I know, I know...I don't have anything against it, it just never seems to stick anymore.

Same here. Precisely. I've just lost any interest in participating.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »

A smarter state legislature than mine. Mine wants to sue the feds for control of Utah land so they can sell it to the highest bidder I mean "develop Utah's energy resources to pay for education". Thing is, Maryland has pretty good education and pays a decent amount for that education. Utah has terrible education and pays the LEAST (maybe more than Mississippi, but either 49th or 50th) per pupil.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

The top state income tax rate will be 8.95%?  Oh, the horror, the horror!  I don't remember the CA rate ever being that low. Tongue  Of course, now the push is on to get it up to 13% or something.

And the existing 9.3% rate in California kicks in a lot lower than $100k.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »

Seems odd, or sad, that if the 9.3% rate is hitting people below 100k, you wouldn't have a, say 25% or so rate for people like Torie.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2012, 10:16:33 PM by greenforest32 »

These are the top state rates currently (2012): http://taxfoundation.org/blog/show/28002.html

The specifics of each state's brackets: http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/228.html

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »

Seems odd, or sad, that if the 9.3% rate is hitting people below 100k, you wouldn't have a, say 25% or so rate for people like Torie.

Yeah, it actually kicks in pretty low, I just checked at it's at $47,000 of taxable income for single filers. If you live in San Francisco, that's barely middle class.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies