UKIP: Chances of winning Westminster Seats ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:18:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UKIP: Chances of winning Westminster Seats ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UKIP: Chances of winning Westminster Seats ?  (Read 2122 times)
Polkergeist

« on: May 17, 2012, 07:00:42 AM »

UKIP are not doing too bad in Westminster polls at the moment. They would like to think they can be the UK's third party, but to that they need to win seats. I don't think they would get there on  their current polling of 7-9% of the national vote, but I am open to those with better local knowledge.

Here is a link to some number crunching on the matter.

http://poliquant.com/can-ukip-win-westminster-seats/

Can UKIP win Westminster seats? Can they move still higher in the polls?
Polkergeist

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »

Ok, but if the Greens can target one seat and win with far less national support than what UKIP is getting now, why can't UKIP?

Polkergeist

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:41 AM »

In the short to medium term, UKIP cannot usurp the Conservatives as the party of the right in the UK, it can only split the right of centre vote.

I doubt that UKIP can pull the Tories right as it took so much poltiical effort for the Tories to occupy at least come of the centre ground today, they are not going to give it up lightly. Cameron didn't call UKIP "swivel eyed" for nothing.

A Conservative party that chased UKIP votes would find it hard to win 35% nationally.

So I don't think UKIP poses a long term threat to Labour by portending a rightward political spectrum shift as it does not have the pulling power to achieve it.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies