Your opinion of this person?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:17:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your opinion of this person?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of this person?
FF
HP
Liar
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your opinion of this person?  (Read 18553 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »

I get the sense that behind those words, this person believes that working hard for the owners > fairer allocation of resources.

It's amazing how much money we let the parasitic leeches extract from people in the name of 'cost of living'.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »

And yet you choose to respond to that rather than the legitimate opposition to your own rather lacking opinion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 05:52:49 PM »

Please leave the Democratic party immediately.

Happy to.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »

And yet you choose to respond to that rather than the legitimate opposition to your own rather lacking opinion.

Well, I tend to get ridiculed whenever I post my legitimate opinions on here, so why post at all?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »

Well, I tend to get ridiculed whenever I post my legitimate opinions on here, so why post at all?

Oh come on, dude. I've been universally disliked by both Republicans and Democrats since like 2008 and I'm still going strong. Some of the best learning experiences I've had on this place have been the ones in which I'm most ridiculed.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »

We're obviously two different people. I take all criticisms to heart, even the ones via the internet. I'll spare you the sob story, but I don't take well to criticism. If I find the time, I'll post my full response, but it'll be pretty lengthy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »

Massive FF, but in this pictures case, a liar, and propaganda.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »

Liar
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 06:44:56 PM by king of jeans »

We're obviously two different people. I take all criticisms to heart, even the ones via the internet. I'll spare you the sob story, but I don't take well to criticism. If I find the time, I'll post my full response, but it'll be pretty lengthy.
the picture deserves no respect because its such a nauseating combination of obliviousness combined with the usual contempt for the victims of (literally) institutionalized thievery. trust me i am no fan of the occupy crowd. but this is infinitely worse. if you want me to explain more so i can but what i mean should be obvious to anyone thats paid any attention the last 4-5 years or so.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

the picture deserves no respect because its such a nauseating combination of obliviousness combined with thinly veiled contempt for the victims of (literally) institutionalized thievery. trust me i am no fan of the occupy crowd but this is 100x worse. if you want me to explain more so i can but what i mean should be obvious to anyone thats paid any attention the last 4-5 years or so.

Yeah, I retract my statement earlier about this person being a massive FF, though I do agree with the sentiment of their note. It was arrogant and strongly worded, and basically states that poor people are poor because of their own fault. No me gusta.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »

Ghostwhite does that in most of his posts.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 06:51:20 PM by king of jeans »

Among the many, many lies, exaggerations, misinterpretations, misrepresentations, and ignorance is the simple issue that while this person may have accomplished something that should definitely be a point of pride, most people around college-graduate age grew up with an inflated sense of wealth and opportunity during the '90s. Being taught from an early age that you're going to have to start working as soon as you can in order to accomplish something like graduating college is almost verging on a luxury. There are far too many kids that grow up being told what to do and exactly what will happen and how, but were then faced with the issue that they never had to fend for themselves or struggle to get by before. How can a 17 year old be expected to know better than their parents, teachers, guidance counselors, and society in general enough to plan for struggling through college? It's a pompous, ignorant, spiteful, and resentful thing to tell kids that they deserve what they've been handed by the generation before them, whether that be an education or an introduction to a lifestyle they have no chance of maintaining or understanding how to change. Our parents' tendencies towards fiscal excess and living beyond their means has put the vast majority of a generation in the extremely difficult position of being deluded into thinking they'll be fine forever and don't have to worry about saving or working for what we want.
that isnt even why its really offensive. the point is that we have a banking industry that literally stole peoples houses and almost unimaginable amounts of money and has ruined entire lives and only been rewarded for it. they will never be held accountable, ever. and these tools respond with 'well i manage to scrape by with my sh**tty job and paycheck to paycheck lifestyle, stop your bitching everything is fine.' it is disgustingly stupid not to mention a case of blaming the victim (which in this case is most people). i would say such displays of ignorance make me uncontrollably angry but to be honest i am burnt out at this point.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »

A good person, & emblematic of the right kind of attitude.

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.
massa treats me real good! i don't know what all y'all is complaining about

Clearly, everyone who lives within their means & does not whine about the lack of a free ride is an Uncle Tom. Try harder next time.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 06:57:25 PM by king of jeans »

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.

Clearly, everyone who lives within their means & does not whine about the lack of a free ride is an Uncle Tom. Try harder next time.
thats not what i was actually implying. besides how are people supposed to 'live within their means' when the entire economy discourages savings thanks to high inflation and is based on consumption? don't you know your own side's talking points.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

thats not what i was actually implying. besides how are people supposed to 'live within their means' when the entire economy discourages savings thanks to high inflation and is based on consumption? don't you know your own side's talking points.

The economy also encourages wasting money on frivolities. If you look at the average person's budget, much of what they spend is wasted on expensive gadgets & oversized portions. Most people are stupid & easily led into making poor decisions that worsen their station. I'm not immune to this either, but I strive to improve.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »

that isnt even why its really offensive. the point is that we have a banking industry that literally stole peoples houses and almost unimaginable amounts of money and has ruined entire lives and only been rewarded for it. they will never be held accountable, ever. and these tools respond with 'well i manage to scrape by with my sh**tty job and paycheck to paycheck lifestyle, stop your bitching everything is fine.' it is disgustingly stupid not to mention a case of blaming the victim (which in this case is most people). i would say such displays of ignorance make me uncontrollably angry but to be honest i am burnt out at this point.

Well, that is certainly far more offensive, but I still think it's a ridiculous notion for people to look down on young adults for not having been prepared by their parents to handle hardships. That's the exact same thing as disdaining rich young people for having been born with money or ridiculing poor people for not having a good enough financial standing to better their situation. So essentially I completely agree. And would emphasize your point that almost everyone has been a victim. People that have done well for themselves have a lot to be proud and relieved about, but how that translates into being better than anyone at this point is a symptom of our obsession with the notion that any American institution is fair and if it doesn't work it's your own fault. The dominantly monetary based culture we live in breeds an unhealthy, aggressively competitive culture that is severely lacking in compassion or care for those who don't have the opportunities those who have succeeded have. There is a culture of bad sportsmanship that is so pervasive it turns us against each other. We have been brought up to believe our entire self worth structure should be based on appearance, status, and the dollar amount we can assign to ourselves in comparison to each other. There is no room for empathy because it reduces your status to being in solidarity with someone below you. Pretty disgusting and definitely an exhaustingly pervasive ideology to battle.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

i think its just symptomatic of the bogus 'american exceptionalist/greatest nation ever' meme. thats why i think we're going to really burn, impossible to address problems if you get shouted down. the only people that understand the problem are really the fringes.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »

Absolutely. There is never a problem and you are anti-American for suggesting a flaw, even when it becomes a crisis and everyone else finally acknowledges it. Anyone who identifies an issue within our nation before it reaches the critical point when it cannot be fixed is forced out of the mainstream.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »

i think its just symptomatic of the bogus 'american exceptionalist/greatest nation ever' meme. thats why i think we're going to really burn, impossible to address problems if you get shouted down. the only people that understand the problem are really the fringes.

Oh, the country will burn. I have a couple of ideas for how to stop it, but they would never work. Such is life.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »

Oh, the country will burn. I have a couple of ideas for how to stop it, but they would never work. Such is life.
democracy doesn't work
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »

democracy doesn't work

If it did, we wouldn't be at this juncture & I wouldn't be a member of some random minor party that will never win an important office. Fortunately, that was not one of the ideas. Tongue
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »

democracy doesn't work

What is your suggestion for government then, wise one? Surely, an element of popular sovereignty is necessary for the state to be just.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 08:40:40 PM by king of jeans »

democracy doesn't work

What is your suggestion for government then, wise one? Surely, an element of popular sovereignty is necessary for the state to be just.
why does popularity = morality? i don't see how something like venezuela or zimbabwe or various majority shia areas would be desirable to have a democracies. and how many tyrannical regimes claimed to represent' the true spirit of democracy'? as for government it depends on circumstances. i have some sympathies for monarchy/benign aristocracy for purely pragmatic reasons that i've elaborated on but obviously such a thing is very hard to sell and not culturally relevant to most westerners let alone americans.

restricting the franchise to people that can pass a civics test and making voting much more localized is one possible reform i've suggested. although i suspect straha and some of the formalists have a point in terms of their  (relatively) undemocratic, corporate state model. basically a state that strives to actually produce things of value (either directly or through encouraging productive industries) and offers basic services to citizen-shareholders while avoiding the invasiveness of both modern democracy and totalitarianism could be an improvement over now. certain countries like singapore have elements of what i'm talking about.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 08:47:24 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

democracy doesn't work

why does popularity = morality? i don't see how something like venezuela or zimbabwe or various majority shia areas would be desirable to have a democracies. indeed democracy is the last thing you would want for a lot of places. as for government it depends on circumstances. i have some sympathies for monarchy/benign aristocracy for pragmatic reasons that i've elaborated on but obviously such a thing is very hard to sell and not culturally relevant. restricting the franchise to people that can pass a civics test and making voting much more localized is one possible reform i've suggested. although i suspect straha and some of the formalists have a point in terms of their  (relatively) undemocratic, corporate state model. a state that strives to actually produce things of value and offers services to citizen-shareholders while avoiding the invasiveness of both modern democracy and totalitarianism could be an improvement over now.

Sup Aristotle. (or Hobbes, I guess)

Really though, an element of popular sovereignty is necessary for the state to be moral: it's dealing with important questions intrinsic to the well being of its citizens. They deserve to have a formalized say and agency over their lives. They deserve to have a decision making body that isn't determined by power alone, which ultimately is what gets to call the shots in any elitist system. At the very least, the public deserves to decide what the structure of their government will be at the start and the ability for initiatives and the like if that constitution is to be changed. These questions of government are too important and all-encompassing to be left to a few people who have no real consequences for their actions.

I don't understand how you could read your suggestions and not see the fallacies in inherent in them. Restricting it to a certain class of people will only serve to have them entrench their interests and nothing more.

edit: what I'm really trying to say is that you probably have a twisted view of human nature for you to hold these archaic views. That sounds mean but it isn't really, I can sympathize at times with your ideas but the fact that they only work when *certain* people are in power shows how tailored there are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies