SENATE BILL: Pregnant Women Support Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Pregnant Women Support Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Pregnant Women Support Act (Law'd)  (Read 8667 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: May 20, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »

I support the intent behind this Bill... but I equally agree with Governor Napoleon on this that the mechanics are a disaster waiting to happen.

In my Budget proposal, which I hope will find a Senate sponsor, I've increased support for both adoption and foster services.

I do have deep concerns about the need to 'inform' women, as if they are unaware that adoption and other support services exist. I don't object to some degree of information being available about the nature of services available, but I do object to this being used as some sort of thinly veiled pro-life campaign.

Services like this exist or have existed in other countries, and have had little impact besides causing further emotional distress for women at a very difficult time. Section two in particular seems deliberately designed to instill tremendous guilt in women. Again suggesting that women don't really 'understand' what they're doing.

Another element that deeply concerns me are sections 6 and 8, the purchasing of ultrasound equipment seems to have only one purpose, and section 8 seems to be about giving funds to pro-life organisations.

I'm happy to support measures to ensure people who wish to adopt and women who wish to put their baby up for adoption have the means to do so. I want women to have support for whatever decision they make. However, it's not the state's role to force a particular decision on them.

I won't sign a Bill that will create the mechanisms this Bill seeks to create.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »

This bill is a disaster and I hope you all have the courage to defeat it.

How so?  Which section do you not like?

The part where the government tries to force women into anti-abortion propaganda counseling.

I agree with this, though this bill has good parts as well. Do hopefully we will pass an amended version of this bill.

I doubt the sponsor will be happy with removing what will need to be to make this palatable.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »

This bill is a disaster and I hope you all have the courage to defeat it.

How so?  Which section do you not like?

The part where the government tries to force women into anti-abortion propaganda counseling.

I agree with this, though this bill has good parts as well. Do hopefully we will pass an amended version of this bill.

I doubt the sponsor will be happy with removing what will need to be to make this palatable.

Isn't that dependent more upon what makes any six Senators happy, rather than the sponsor? Tongue

You know what I mean Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »

The bill is sound. Why should we compromise one inch on the bill when the Atlasian left regularly asks consessions of the right? It's the left that needs to give a little

Well, because the Bill will not pass as it stands, and there's no way I'll sign it.

Simple as that.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:01 AM »

The goal of this bill is to reduce the number of abortions, and regardless of your stance on the abortion issue I think this is an idea almost everyone can support. Thus, I hope the constructive comments on the first page of this thread can result in a compromise which makes it possible that this goal is achieved. I think the Senate has demonstrated in the recent months that it is capable of debating on a level above simple catchphrases and can find common ground and sensible solutions.

Which were my points early on, the idea of reducing abortions is a good thing... but it won't be through government support for pro-life organisations or to use medical technology to compound the emotional pain that comes with such a decision.

Nor will I support measures which treat women as idiots who need 'to understand what they're really doing'.

We need to make sure women, regardless of their choice, have the support to make them.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »

I don't believe the state should be in the business of taking sides, which is clear by how this issue is being approached.

There are clear rights that women have, but I want to make sure that support exists to enable to women who want to keep their baby, as well as support for those who choose an alternative. Not trying to convince them to change their minds.

Also I'd be startled if this information is not already discussed by a responsible doctor.

Interesting we're not talking about avoiding the pregnancies in the first place, which I see a step too often ignored.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »

Jack Polnut

Signing statement - I am still hesitant about this Bill however, the focus on information rather than the disrespect and emotional blackmail contained in the original, makes it palatable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies