Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch  (Read 7187 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2005, 01:40:45 AM »
« edited: January 17, 2005, 01:45:53 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

This was originally my idea, but I credit my predecesor Sen. Flyers2005/IrishDem/BacardiLimon with the acctual writing of this bill:

Mag-lev trains

1.  Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years

2.  These trains are needed in the following Atlasia corridors. 

a.  Houlton,ME (Canadian Border)-Bangor-Portland-Portsmouth-Boston-Providence-Hartford-New Haven-New York-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington,DC-Richmond-Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah-Jacksonville-Daytona Beach-Miami (roughly I-95)

1. Spur to East Stroudsburg,PA
             2. Spur to Atlantic City, NJ
             3.  Spur to Orlando-Tampa, FL from Daytona Beach

b(main).  New York-Cleveland-Chicago-Des Moines-Omaha-Denver-Salt Lake City-Reno-San Francisco (roughly I-80)

1. Spur to Detroit, MI

b1.  Cleveland-Erie-Buffalo-Syracuse-Albany-Boston (I-90)

b2. Chicago-Milwaukee-Maidson-Minneapolis-Fargo-Bismarck-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle (I-90/94) 

c.  Candian border-Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego-Mexican border (I-5)

d. San Diego-Phoenix-El Paso-San Antonio-Houston-New Orleans-Mobile-Tallahassee-Jacksonville (I-10)

e. Mexican border-San Anontio-Austin-Dallas-Oklahoma City-Kansas City-Des Moines-Minneapolis-Duluth (I-35)

3.  Clause 2 shall be the top prorities.  We hope to get these in effect by 2030.  More corridors may come later
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »

Mag/Lev technology already exists and the construction of spur lines has already been undertaken in Japan and Europe.

These trains are very fast and very safe, because they harness the power of electromagnetic rails to propel themselves along.  They are far less polluting than both airline and automobile travel and could be used, not only to haul passengers, but also valuable cargo, safely and efficiently, from one city to another.

I urge all Senators to take serious consideration of this possibility for the future of Atlasia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 04:11:38 AM »

This Bill could do great things for the economy of my district. I support it fully.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:34:42 AM »

I think that this is a great idea; $100 million over 20 years is not really very much and this could be extremely beneficial to Atlasia.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 03:49:22 PM »

Building a road of any type along South Carolina coast is rather impractical because of the considerable about of wetlands that would be impacted.  That's why I-95 is so far inland.  I'd suggest Raleigh-Columbia-Savannah instead of Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah.

I also doubt that transcontinental mag-levs will prove useful.  Over long distances there are other forms of transport that are either cheaper or faster.  Mag-lev has potential as a medium range transport where the hassles of plane travel make it competeive.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 04:05:55 PM »

Building a road of any type along South Carolina coast is rather impractical because of the considerable about of wetlands that would be impacted.  That's why I-95 is so far inland.  I'd suggest Raleigh-Columbia-Savannah instead of Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah.

I also doubt that transcontinental mag-levs will prove useful.  Over long distances there are other forms of transport that are either cheaper or faster.  Mag-lev has potential as a medium range transport where the hassles of plane travel make it competeive.

Point taken about South Carolina, but if we are going to have medium range may levs, they, almost by definition, have to be transcontinental.  If we are goin to connect Cleveland to Chicago, then we should connect Chicago to Minneapolis, and Minneapolis to Bismark and Bismark to Boise... and so on.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 04:31:03 PM »

Except that in low-density areas there isn't enough traffic to make them profitable.  I can't see any good reason to build, for example, the b2 line west of Minneapolis.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 05:45:11 PM »

It looks good.

The allotted money is just for research, right, it doesn't allott anything for actually building the railroad and trains at this point?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 07:22:04 PM »

It looks good.

The allotted money is just for research, right, it doesn't allott anything for actually building the railroad and trains at this point?

Correct.  Most of the research is already completed, but I think it would be a good idea for us to build a spur line, say from New York to Washington D.C., just to see if it is fesable.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »

It looks good.

Correct.  Most of the research is already completed, but I think it would be a good idea for us to build a spur line, say from New York to Washington D.C., just to see if it is fesable.

That's the best idea.  Basically in Atlasia (as in America), the only functioning and profitable rail line is the one between NYC and DC.   Build a track there and see how it runs profitably.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 06:16:10 AM »

yes yes yes yes yes!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 07:53:55 AM »

We midwest governmental officials would like it if you spurred to Belle Fourche, SD Kiki
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 02:20:16 AM »

I think the lines should be short, maybe Richmond-DC-Baltimore-Philly-NYC-Boston and SF-Sacramento-LA-SD-Phoenix.  It isn't very profitable to have lines running from Bismark and Boise.  Also, maybe a line direct DC-Orlando to take advantage of the auto train idea AMTRAK came up with.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 02:43:02 AM »

You'd focus it on maybe 25 cities (more if profitable, later), for sure, but you'd need at least one transnational route for it to be profitable, becuse thats where it would make the difference.

Basically, you'd have three districts.

West

Seattle-Portland-Sacramento-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego-Pheonix

Central

Los Angeles-Denver-St. Louis-Chicago-Cleveland-Philadelphia

East

Boston-NYC-Philadelphia-Baltimore

With possible extensions/more stations:

West

Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Sacramento-San Francisco-Los Angeles
-San Diego-Pheonix-Albuquerque-Denver

Central

Los Angeles-Las Vegas-Salt Lake City-Denver-Topeka-St. Louis-Chicago-Cleveland-Pittsburgh-Philadelphia

offshoot: Topeka-Oklahoma City-Dallas-Houston
offshoot: Dallas-New Orleans-Mobile-Orlando

offshoot: St. Louis-Memphis-Atlanta-Orlando-Tampa-Miami

offshoot: Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis

offshoot: St. Louis-Indianapolis-Detroit
offshoot: Indianapolis-Pittsburgh

East

Boston-Hartford-NYC-Philadelphia-Batimore-Richmond-Raleigh-Atlanta

offshoot: NYC-Buffalo-Toronto-Montreal

So, Basically, start with Seattle-Portland-Sacramento-San-Francisco-Los Angeles, Los-Angeles-Denver-St. Louis-Chicago-Philadelphia, Boston-NYC-Philadelphia-Baltimore, and then as demand neccessitates, add the offshoots. The main hubs would be Los Angeles, Denver, St. Louis, Chicago, and Philadelphia, with second-stage and secondary hubs in NYC, Atlanta, Dallas, and Topeka; with other hubs created if/when necessary.

That make sense to everyone out there? Cheesy
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 02:02:51 PM »

Lines that in my mind would make money. A Milwaukee-Chicago-Cleveland-Pittsburgh-Philadelphia route that would connect into a NE Corridor or Florida line. A fast train between Chicago and Milwaukee or Cleveland and a fast train between Pittsburgh and Cleveland or Philadelphia would make tons of money. So connect a line going that way. No transcontinental Maglev lines as they would not make much money.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2005, 09:25:32 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

This version of the bill was given to me by Jake.  I will submit it for the approval of my fellow Senators.

Magnetic Levitation (Mag/Lev) Research Bill

Atlasia recognizes the potential of Magnetic Levitation technology if applied to transportation.  Already, competitors overseas have developed high speed transportation utilizing this technology.  Atlasia can not afford to fall behind in this rapidly expanding industry. Because of this, the following steps will be taken.

1) Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years.

2) Atlasia will then work with private corporations and contractors to construct regional Mag/Lev transportation lines in the following regions.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington D.C.

b) A line will be constucted extending from Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee , with spurs extending south

from Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinatti and from Toledo-Detroit.

c) A line will be constructed extending from Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Sacramento-Los Angeles-San Diego-Phoenix, with spurs extending from Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas and from San Francisco-Reno/Lake Tahoe.

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Washington D.C.-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

3) Clause 2 shall be implemented by 2030.

4) No monies shall be appropiated from the Treasury of Atlasia for the purpose of constructing these lines.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 09:27:35 PM »

I do not see a SINGLE STOP in the Midwest in that bill.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 09:33:46 PM »

Milwaukee?  Chicago?

Are they not in the Midwest?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 09:34:02 PM »

Look at your states.  The great cities of Belle Fourche, Bismarck, Fargo, Boise, and Colorado Springs are hardly profitable stops for train lines.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 09:35:02 PM »

For that matter, Ohio is well represented.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 09:39:43 PM »

Toledo seemed like a good hub to branch off from, but I suppose you could remove it and replace it with Erie and a branch to Pittsburgh.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 09:40:21 PM »

Milwaukee? Chicago?

No, they are not in the Midwest.

Jake: But the Twin Cities, Duluth, Rochester (perhaps for a spur... the Mayo Clinic is here), Denver, Albuquerque, Des Moines...

As a resident of the Midwest, I am outraged that such prominant residents of Atlasia such as Senator Supersoulty and Jake cannot name the states of the Midwest.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 09:46:04 PM »

Magnetic Levitation (Mag/Lev) Research Bill

Atlasia recognizes the potential of Magnetic Levitation technology if applied to transportation.  Already, competitors overseas have developed high speed transportation utilizing this technology.  Atlasia can not afford to fall behind in this rapidly expanding industry. Because of this, the following steps will be taken.

1) Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years.

2) Atlasia will then work with private corporations and contractors to construct regional Mag/Lev transportation lines in the following regions.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington D.C.

b) A line will be constucted extending from Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis , with spurs extending south

from Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinatti, Erie-Pittsburgh and from Toledo-Detroit.

c) A line will be constructed extending from Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Sacramento-Los Angeles-San Diego-Phoenix, with spurs extending from Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas and from San Francisco-Reno/Lake Tahoe.

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Washington D.C.-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

3) Clause 2 shall be implemented by 2030.

4) No monies shall be appropiated from the Treasury of Atlasia for the purpose of constructing these lines.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 09:47:51 PM »

Milwaukee? Chicago?

No, they are not in the Midwest.

Jake: But the Twin Cities, Duluth, Rochester (perhaps for a spur... the Mayo Clinic is here), Denver, Albuquerque, Des Moines...

As a resident of the Midwest, I am outraged that such prominant residents of Atlasia such as Senator Supersoulty and Jake cannot name the states of the Midwest.

ILV, notice I didn't include Hartford, Long Island, Newark, Trenton, Richmond, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, St. Louis, or Pittsburgh, all of which would be more profitable then EVERY city that you named.

In the bill, the possibility was left open for more spurs to be built.  Right now, it isn't economically profitable to build them.  All you want, Mr. Governor, is your slice of the pork.  Instead of developing the best system for Atlasia, you want us to repeat the disaster of AMTRAK with new technology.

Also, Supersoulty, you might want to add a clause saying additional spurs can be added, when economically profitable.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 09:50:33 PM »

Horrible, horrible, horrible:

Northeast-9
South-1
Mideast-8
Midwest-1
West-10