Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted  (Read 8193 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »
« edited: May 19, 2012, 03:13:38 AM by Mr. Morden »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/228237-team-romney-begins-vetting-his-veep-picks

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So who has been contacted by the Romney campaign on this?  Thune says that he has *not* been contacted by the Romney people.  Portman, Rubio, and Ryan refuse to say whether they've been asked for information by the Romney campaign vetters.  Pawlenty, who'd previously said he doesn't want the job, also won't say if he's been contacted:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/tim-pawlenty-now-mum-on-vp-prospects/

Finally, the blog "The Race 4 2012" claims to have a source with knowledge of the vetting process, and said the following:

http://race42012.com/2012/05/19/the-race-4-2012-rumor-mill-special-weekend-veep-edition/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, this is just a blog, and presumably doesn't have the same kind of reporting standards as the NYT or WaPo, so it's worth being skeptical.  But it is a somewhat established blog that's been reporting on the race for years.

And even if it's true, it doesn't mean that there aren't additional names to the ones listed above.  In 2008, I think each campaign vetted about a dozen people or so, if not more.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »

I don't understand why Cathy McMorris Rodgers in considered a potential pick. It might be too risky after 2008, but then again, maybe she's a lot sharper than Sarah Palin.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »

I don't understand why Cathy McMorris Rodgers in considered a potential pick. It might be too risky after 2008, but then again, maybe she's a lot sharper than Sarah Palin.

Maybe, but a generic reaction will be: "Who? Some woman I've never heard of before. Lol, another Sarah Palin for sure".

And thus, instead of helping Romney, she'd be forced to prove all over again she's not Sarah Palin.

Sadly, Palin's selection back in 2008 did a lot of harm for women in national politics.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »

Sadly, Palin's selection back in 2008 did a lot of harm for Republican women in national politics.

FTFY.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

I think it only seems like it was just for Republican women because whenever anyone thinks of Democrat women, they automatically think of Hillary. And there would be no question that Hillary is qualified. She is more experienced to be the president than Obama is, and Obama's already been the president for three years.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »

It's in Romney's political interest to be seen to be considering one or more women on his short list, so even if he really has no intention of picking either Ayotte or McMorris Rodgers, it makes sense to vet them, and leak the fact that he's vetting them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »

[quote author=big bad fab doesn't hate Félix Gouin
Maybe, but a generic reaction will be: "Who? Some woman I've never heard of before. Lol, another Sarah Palin for sure".

[/quote]

I had heard Palin mentioned as a possible VP pick a while before McCain picked her, but then after she gave birth to a Down's syndrome baby, people assumed she wouldn't make the list.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »

I came to the Palin conclusion fairly early, IIRC in May or June. Only saw her mentioned rather far down Halperin's list in late July.

On the OP: I'm sure there are others whose names aren't on that list.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »

I had heard Palin mentioned as a possible VP pick a while before McCain picked her, but then after she gave birth to a Down's syndrome baby, people assumed she wouldn't make the list.

Yeah, she was definitely on the veep radar before announcing she was pregnant.  But only among political junkies who were actually following politics.  The general public had no idea who she was until the day she joined the ticket.

Here's the Palin pregnancy thread from 2008 btw:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=72000.0
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

I think it only seems like it was just for Republican women because whenever anyone thinks of Democrat women, they automatically think of Hillary. And there would be no question that Hillary is qualified. She is more experienced to be the president than Obama is, and Obama's already been the president for three years.

I make that point all the time.  That needs its own thread: People more qualified than Obama to be president.  The list would be huge.  Maybe try to estimate the numbers in categories instead of listing to tidy it up a bit.  For instance maybe only 100 mayors are actually more qualified to be president than the sitting president, instead of listing them.    
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »

I make that point all the time.  That needs its own thread: People more qualified than Obama to be president.  The list would be huge.  Maybe try to estimate the numbers in categories instead of listing to tidy it up a bit.  For instance maybe only 100 mayors are actually more qualified to be president than the sitting president, instead of listing them.    

I'd say it would be more limited than that, and it also depends on how you define 'qualified'. Hillary definitely counts. Romney probably does not. Someone like Jon Cornyn, as much as I dislike him politically, probably does.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »

I'd say it would be more limited than that, and it also depends on how you define 'qualified'. Hillary definitely counts. Romney probably does not. Someone like Jon Cornyn, as much as I dislike him politically, probably does.
Yea, I know it depends on a lot.  Romney obviously would be more qualified because he has been a successful executive of a state, corporation, and Olympics.  Obama has been a successful executive of... nothing.  I'm not being hyper partisan about it, if I was an Obama democrat I would have to honestly admit that.  I would probably say experience or qualification isn't important or something. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

Jindall is still being considered? Last time I really thought alot about a Romney/Jindall ticket was October, 2010 Tongue
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »

So, it's pretty much down to the top two names.  If this has any validity, than Ryan may have refused ??
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »

Ok, I admit: I never saw Bobby Jindal's response to the state of the union address. Was it really bad enough to knock him off the VP charts? What did he even do?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »

So, it's pretty much down to the top two names.  If this has any validity, than Ryan may have refused ??

Doubtful considering that he's said that he would seriously consider it if asked.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »

Ok, I admit: I never saw Bobby Jindal's response to the state of the union address. Was it really bad enough to knock him off the VP charts? What did he even do?
spoke awkwardly and looked unable to appear on TV...  Nothing that couldn't be fixed the question is:  Is it fixed?!?!
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »

Whomever wins 270 or more electoral votes is qualified to be President. That is all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »

I reckon it'll be a hack in a bad (but expensive) suit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »

Even if the source here is accurate, it's likely that those seven names don't constitute the full list.  Like I said, back in 2008, both McCain and Obama reportedly vetted at least a dozen or so people each.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »

Romney-Portman style contest would be a giant snooze-fest. Bring on the fun choices!
I'd probably prefer a Romney-Ryan ticket, but I am beginning to see Portman as a better choice to win.  The more important thing is to think how 'fun' the next presidential term will be.  Think how much more fun it will be to have an IQ increase of at least 20-50 points on the winning ticket.  I know that will draw some comments, but honestly Biden is a serious concern and Obama undoubtedly has 'narrow' intelligence.  It will be fun to have some workhorses for a change!       
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2012, 08:24:54 AM by Joementum »

Couple months ago, McMorris was trying to fan the flames of being in the veepstakes by feeding the press someone from that blog including her on a speculation list.  (Kind of like citing a performance on a poll on this site.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/how-to-run-for-vice-president/2012/04/02/gIQAiRp9qS_blog.html

Anyway, wouldn't put it past her office to leak a list that includes her name to McDonnelly get buzz going.  Speaking of McDonnell moves, Christie is running pro-Christie ads.  He can run for re-election unlike McDonnell but it wouldn't be for a year and half so, maybe more evidence he's campaigning for VP?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »

It's in Romney's political interest to be seen to be considering one or more women on his short list, so even if he really has no intention of picking either Ayotte or McMorris Rodgers, it makes sense to vet them, and leak the fact that he's vetting them.

"War on women"
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »

"War on women"

What do you mean to suggest?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 08:53:19 AM »

"War on women"

What do you mean to suggest?

That Republicans somehow hate women and want them all to be chained to their ovens and sinks, when in fact the GOP has many prominent women, and has nominated as many female VPs as the Democrats have. It's my belief that the first female Vice President will be a Republican.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies