Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted  (Read 8194 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That Republicans somehow hate women and want them all to be chained to their ovens and sinks, when in fact the GOP has many prominent women, and has nominated as many female VPs as the Democrats have. It's my belief that the first female Vice President will be a Republican.
[/quote]

Many- most?- Republican female high officeholders couldn't be picked because they're pro-choice.  In any case, Romney publicly pretending to consider women for VP for show- the hypothetical Morden speculated about- isn't really compelling evidence of Republicans' genuine views towards women.  For what it's worth, I think the leak that Sebelius was being considered by Obama was just for show too.  Ironically, the loyalty of a large faction to Hillary made it more difficult if not impossible for Obama to choose a female running mate. For a while, I've thought Pawlenty is undoubtedly most likely to get the call from Romney, but Portman wouldn't shock me.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

If Romney picks Ryan, the Democrats would tear into him like Paul Ryan and Medicare. They're already talking about the 'Romney-Ryan Budget'.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »

If Romney picks Ryan, the Democrats would tear into him like Paul Ryan and Medicare. They're already talking about the 'Romney-Ryan Budget'.

Democrats will do that regardless because of Romney's reaction to all things Ryan but I agree picking Ryan as VP won't happen.  Maybe leaking him as being vetted, if they do, is a pander to a different faction, and a move they can get away with without the level of backlash they'd get if they actually picked him.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

Ok, I admit: I never saw Bobby Jindal's response to the state of the union address. Was it really bad enough to knock him off the VP charts? What did he even do?

As someone who endured Gov. Clinton's 1988 keynote speech instead of turning the television off, I can confidently say that no single speech can ever be bad enough to knock someone out of consideration for the presidential ticket.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »

Senator Rob Portman gets the nod.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

Portman provides a very nice briar patch for Obama to throw Romney in, thanks to his connection to Bush. If Obama tries to run against Bush again in 2012, he'll lose.
milhouse24
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »

Portman's budget deficit with Bush would be too contradictory to Romney's message. 

I suspect Romney will go for ultra-safe non-controversial and that would be Pawlenty. 
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »

Portman's budget deficit with Bush would be too contradictory to Romney's message. 

I suspect Romney will go for ultra-safe non-controversial and that would be Pawlenty. 

A Romney/Pawlenty ticket would have all the personal warmth and affection of a refrigerator. I know Romney wants to play it safe, but he has to draw the line somewhere. I'm cringing at the mental image of the two of them trying to interact with everyday people.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »

I think it only seems like it was just for Republican women because whenever anyone thinks of Democrat women, they automatically think of Hillary. And there would be no question that Hillary is qualified. She is more experienced to be the president than Obama is, and Obama's already been the president for three years.

I make that point all the time.  That needs its own thread: People more qualified than Obama to be president.  The list would be huge.  Maybe try to estimate the numbers in categories instead of listing to tidy it up a bit.  For instance maybe only 100 mayors are actually more qualified to be president than the sitting president, instead of listing them.    

I'd say it would be more limited than that, and it also depends on how you define 'qualified'. Hillary definitely counts. Romney probably does not. Someone like Jon Cornyn, as much as I dislike him politically, probably does.
Yea, I know it depends on a lot.  Romney obviously would be more qualified because he has been a successful executive of a state, corporation, and Olympics.  Obama has been a successful executive of... nothing.  I'm not being hyper partisan about it, if I was an Obama democrat I would have to honestly admit that.  I would probably say experience or qualification isn't important or something. 

I think once a president has been in office for a while, his previous experience or lack of experience is kind of a moot point. I'll admit that Obama had a small(er) amount of political experience, but I don't think it made him unqualified. I just don't think there's that strong of a correlation between being able to handle the presidency and how much previous political experience one has.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 01:05:46 AM »

I do. Actually, that makes up a large part of who I support for president. When it really gets down to things, the president's most partisan role is appointing Supreme Court Judges. And sure... that's significant. But it's still a rather limited role. Policy-wise, the party of the president really doesn't matter all that much.

So I judge who I think would be the best leader. The person who will best be able to roll up his/her sleeves and get something done. Someone who can negotiate when necessary but stick to his guns when it matters. Experience is a good indicator of that. Obama had none.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »

Vetting lists always include women whether or not they're seriously considered. Not to say that they aren't under serious consideration, necessarily.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »

I base this on nothing but gut reaction but I'd say Rubio is getting the most thorough look over right now.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 11:43:14 AM »

I think it only seems like it was just for Republican women because whenever anyone thinks of Democrat women, they automatically think of Hillary. And there would be no question that Hillary is qualified. She is more experienced to be the president than Obama is, and Obama's already been the president for three years.

I make that point all the time.  That needs its own thread: People more qualified than Obama to be president.  The list would be huge.  Maybe try to estimate the numbers in categories instead of listing to tidy it up a bit.  For instance maybe only 100 mayors are actually more qualified to be president than the sitting president, instead of listing them.    

I'd say it would be more limited than that, and it also depends on how you define 'qualified'. Hillary definitely counts. Romney probably does not. Someone like Jon Cornyn, as much as I dislike him politically, probably does.
Yea, I know it depends on a lot.  Romney obviously would be more qualified because he has been a successful executive of a state, corporation, and Olympics.  Obama has been a successful executive of... nothing.  I'm not being hyper partisan about it, if I was an Obama democrat I would have to honestly admit that.  I would probably say experience or qualification isn't important or something. 

I think once a president has been in office for a while, his previous experience or lack of experience is kind of a moot point. I'll admit that Obama had a small(er) amount of political experience, but I don't think it made him unqualified. I just don't think there's that strong of a correlation between being able to handle the presidency and how much previous political experience one has.
I'm not talking about political experience.  I'm talking about doing something.  More specifically running, designing, leading, building, etc.  Going to college, writing two autobiography's, and being a back bencher show horse in various legislatures doesn't qualify.  His first term could have overcome the qualification problem, but it hasn't.  I don't even like the way his political campaigns have been run.  Personal destruction/disqualifying of the opponent isn't exactly 'inspiring'.  Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I would never claim that BSing all day is a major accomplishment.  A tangible result that can be measured and regarded as positive is what I'm looking for.  Stimulus was a failure and Obama-care is at best a wash and very likely a failure...  The Auto bailout was heavily flawed, and the Bin Laden order was a no brainer to everyone in the country BUT democrat elites.  What positive track record does the guy have?  If you have nothing to suggest you're qualified, than you typically aren't qualified.             
milhouse24
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »

I see your point, just because someone has youth and inexperience doesn't make them a political expert capable of commenting on political forums, lol. 

In reality,  Obama used his youth and inexperience as a campaign talking point, in order to create a "Blank Slate" for liberals and moderates to project their idealism and goals.  He had no record of being for or against such goals.  He never voted for or against the Iraq War, so he proudly and pointlessly claimed he was against the Iraq War. 

This contrasted him from the "wrong decisions" and experience that Hillary Clinton made in voting for Bush's Iraq War and aligning herself with Bush's activist foreign policy.  Hillary also had the stench of a failed Universal Health Care, and other Clinton scandals, and past enemies. 

So Obama was a pure angel, who had no enemies yet, and everyone was his friend. 
milhouse24
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »

A Romney/Pawlenty ticket would have all the personal warmth and affection of a refrigerator. I know Romney wants to play it safe, but he has to draw the line somewhere. I'm cringing at the mental image of the two of them trying to interact with everyday people.

That is why I think that if Romney plays it too safe, he'll probably lose the election. 

But if he takes a calculated risk and convinces Jeb Bush to be VP, he can win a lot of Hispanic voters in Ohio and Florida, and elsewhere.  In addition, Liberals heads will explode.  It will almost be as bad as if Hillary won the nomination, and continued presidential legacies. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

Jeb needs to stay away from Romney to have a chance to be president. Picking Nikki Haley would be the "Liberals Heads Explode" pick. As would DeMint. He needs to go aggressive if he hopes to ge my vote
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 11:28:06 PM »

Any objections to stickying this thread?  This is a good thread that will have constant updates over the next 3 months.  It would be a good idea to sticky this until the RNC.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »

except there are a million threads about this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

I'm always amused by this little world we politicos live in. A world where a speech watch by so few people (and remembered by even fewer) means someone is instantly disqualified as a running mate and possibly as a Presidential candidate further down the line.

I remember Jindal's response. It was poor. It was awkward. It wasn't, however, a gaffe-filled disaster. Again, no one outside of our little world remembers or cares about it. It is something that would be rehashed on Hardball and on sites like this one. That's it. If he did something controversial, it would be a hindrance. It would be replayed countless times. He didn't do that though.

For the record, I was at this year's CPAC when Jindal gave an amazing speech so the SOTU response wasn't proof of a big problem.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »

except there are a million threads about this.

Even better reason to consolidate and unclog the board by making one mega thread about Veep vetting and selection.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies