Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:33:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted  (Read 8341 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
« edited: May 20, 2012, 08:24:54 AM by Joementum »

Couple months ago, McMorris was trying to fan the flames of being in the veepstakes by feeding the press someone from that blog including her on a speculation list.  (Kind of like citing a performance on a poll on this site.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/how-to-run-for-vice-president/2012/04/02/gIQAiRp9qS_blog.html

Anyway, wouldn't put it past her office to leak a list that includes her name to McDonnelly get buzz going.  Speaking of McDonnell moves, Christie is running pro-Christie ads.  He can run for re-election unlike McDonnell but it wouldn't be for a year and half so, maybe more evidence he's campaigning for VP?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »

It's in Romney's political interest to be seen to be considering one or more women on his short list, so even if he really has no intention of picking either Ayotte or McMorris Rodgers, it makes sense to vet them, and leak the fact that he's vetting them.

"War on women"

What do you mean to suggest?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That Republicans somehow hate women and want them all to be chained to their ovens and sinks, when in fact the GOP has many prominent women, and has nominated as many female VPs as the Democrats have. It's my belief that the first female Vice President will be a Republican.
[/quote]

Many- most?- Republican female high officeholders couldn't be picked because they're pro-choice.  In any case, Romney publicly pretending to consider women for VP for show- the hypothetical Morden speculated about- isn't really compelling evidence of Republicans' genuine views towards women.  For what it's worth, I think the leak that Sebelius was being considered by Obama was just for show too.  Ironically, the loyalty of a large faction to Hillary made it more difficult if not impossible for Obama to choose a female running mate. For a while, I've thought Pawlenty is undoubtedly most likely to get the call from Romney, but Portman wouldn't shock me.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »

If Romney picks Ryan, the Democrats would tear into him like Paul Ryan and Medicare. They're already talking about the 'Romney-Ryan Budget'.

Democrats will do that regardless because of Romney's reaction to all things Ryan but I agree picking Ryan as VP won't happen.  Maybe leaking him as being vetted, if they do, is a pander to a different faction, and a move they can get away with without the level of backlash they'd get if they actually picked him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies