"I have a dream...." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:10:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  "I have a dream...." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "I have a dream...."  (Read 12595 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: January 17, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »

MLK opposed the Vietnam war.
Conservatives would hate him if he was around today.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 03:56:04 PM »

Thanks to the "liberal" media, good luck on getting a copy of the award winning documentary "Eyes on the prize" on MLK.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14801-2005Jan16.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 03:59:32 PM »

MLK opposed the Vietnam war.
Conservatives would hate him if he was around today.

Well, here is what Dr. King really said:

A few years ago there was a shining moment in that struggle. It seemed as if there was a real promise of hope for the poor -- both black and white -- through the poverty program. There were experiments, hopes, new beginnings. Then came the buildup in Vietnam and I watched the program broken and eviscerated as if it were some idle political plaything of a society gone mad on war, and I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic destructive suction tube. So I was increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor and to attack it as such.

Perhaps the more tragic recognition of reality took place when it became clear to me that the war was doing far more than devastating the hopes of the poor at home. It was sending their sons and their brothers and their husbands to fight and to die in extraordinarily high proportions relative to the rest of the population. We were taking the black young men who had been crippled by our society and sending them eight thousand miles away to guarantee liberties in Southeast Asia which they had not found in southwest Georgia and East Harlem. So we have been repeatedly faced with the cruel irony of watching Negro and white boys on TV screens as they kill and die together for a nation that has been unable to seat them together in the same schools. So we watch them in brutal solidarity burning the huts of a poor village, but we realize that they would never live on the same block in Detroit. I could not be silent in the face of such cruel manipulation of the poor. [/i]

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/058.html

He first is complaining about the cost and second about how we're sending troops there, basically the draft.

Now, on the first, cost is a conservative issue.  He goes further to say, in effect, "This is draining funds from programs I want."  I would argue that cost was important, but I'm not so sure that he would have approved how those programs developed in the 30 years after this speech.  On thast, I'm more in agreement with Malcolm X.

On the second point, there were conservatives who opposed the draft even at roughly the same time.  James C. Miller, III, later Reagan's head of OMB, and a (conservative) candidate for US Senate from Virginia in 1994, actually wrote a book c. 1970, calling for the abolition of the draft, including the grounds that minorities were more likely to get drafted.

Ironically, the only serious proposal for a draft recently was from Charles Wrangel, a liberal, African American Democratic Representative from NY.

It's Bush who started this war in Iraq, you can quit trying to blame it on liberals.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

Just a question, and I'm sure about the answer, but would MLK support affirmative action?

August 28, 1963

I Have A Dream
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

If situations were bad yes, ideally, no.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies