No Damn Way!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:16:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Damn Way!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Damn Way!  (Read 1481 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

1900: My How Things Change

At the dawn of the year 1900 most Americans were content with President McKinley and his time in office.  Though the nation was not quite in a boom period, nor was it a bust and the nation was just coming off a successful war in Spain.  To put it simply most Americans were happy and were not likely to throw off the President in such a period.  Nonetheless William Jennings Bryan, the man who hoped to best President McKinley felt he had a fair shot at the Presidency just as he had in 1896 and he was quickly nominated by his party's convention.  However with the death of the Vice President the Republicans had to do something that was almost as important as nominating a President and that was to nominate a Vice President.  Though usually not so important a post it was well known among the political circles that President McKinley was in ill health.

On the first ballot at the Republican Convention President McKinley was renominated by acclamation.  However the Vice Presidential choice was much more hard fought.  At first it seemed obvious the Republicans would choose New York Governor Theodore Roosevelt due to how much New York party boss Thomas Platt despised the man however when told of Platt's choice McKinley's campaign manager, Ohio Senator Mark Hanna was famously heard to shout, "There is no damn way I will ever allow that man to lead our party as long as I live!  No damn way!"  With that the matter was dropped.  Instead to appease Platt and the New York delegation in choosing a New Yorker, the President chose Secretary of State Elihu Root, a man who was well known for his work for the administration during the Spanish- American war.  In what was a fairly uneventful election, McKinley and Root managed to once again decimate Bryan and his running mate Adlai Stevenson.  But little did the Republicans know a dark cloud was on the horizon.......

Bryan/Stevenson-177
McKinley/Root-270
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »

No why?  This is the leadup to my Alton Parker wins in 1904 timeline.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:10:13 AM »

Lulz.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »

Sooo... You're making it that McKinley wins re-election with less votes than his first time? Cry
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »

Sooo... You're making it that McKinley wins re-election with less votes than his first time? Cry

Yes, I figure that Westerners would be less likely to support him because many were hoping for a TR VP and I figure most would respect a fellow westerner in WJB.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »

Yes, I figure that Westerners would be less likely to support him because many were hoping for a TR VP and I figure most would respect a fellow westerner in WJB.

Does Bryan win more or less of the popular vote than in OTL 1900, and/or 1896?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

Does Bryan win more or less of the popular vote than in OTL 1900, and/or 1896?

Roughly even with OTL 96.  More than anything it really changed based on turnout.  Roughly the same number of Democratic voters turn out.  Just fewer people especially progressive Republicans are as excited for Root than Roosevelt in OTL so therefore more than anything it was just less Republican turnout.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2012, 12:25:08 AM by HappyWarrior »

The more I look at it the more I think I may prefer to actually carry on one of my old timelines, specifically the Davis Decision Timeline or 1892 and on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies