Euros and rednecks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:25:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Euros and rednecks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Euros and rednecks  (Read 3869 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 04:43:31 PM »

Hey, I don't watch or defend test cricket. It's boring. But one day is quite good.

Anyway, yes they do show the superbowl here at like 5am Cheesy. I'll watch the replay and time the actual play.

Shorts are practical, and unlike you cowards over there we don't need helmets and massive shoulder pads that make the players look like chodes, and even so our game is harder Cheesy

I'm being overly offensive in this thread

I know I am too. Personally I find both Rugby and Aussie Rules to be great games probably the most intresting sports that are played in other countries, and a good substitute for Football when your away from the States.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2005, 08:54:36 PM »

As far as I know, 'Euro' isn't an insult.

'Eurotrash', 'Euroweenie', and 'Cheese-eating surrender monkey' are, however, insults.

And what's up with being a 'cowboy' an insult in Europe? In the US, it generally isn't seen that way.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2005, 09:14:06 PM »

As far as I know, 'Euro' isn't an insult.

'Eurotrash', 'Euroweenie', and 'Cheese-eating surrender monkey' are, however, insults.

And what's up with being a 'cowboy' an insult in Europe? In the US, it generally isn't seen that way.

Euro is a currency unit, not an insult.  Unless, of course, you're one of the majority of Germans whose parliament pushed its adoption down the people's throats over their collective protests.

Cowboy is definitely a term of endearment, like when a whore wants to do ya on she says, "hey cowboy" or when you're in a San Francisco gay bar with your gay friends and you take a leak and one says, "ooh, put that thing away, cowboy."  Apparently there are americans who take the term as demeaning, however.  I remember when I was hiking the Inca trail and some dude from California was bitching about how in little foreign language books they always show Germans in lederhosen and feathered caps, French in berets, Japanese in Geisha getup, and Yanks in Cowbow hats and boots.  I'm like, dude, what planet are you from.  John Wayne is a big hero, and we all had little toy hobby horses when we grew up.  I've never ridden a horse, but I've heard it can give you an orgasm if you're a chick.  what could be better than that?  I'm pretty sure Cowboy is a pick-up line more than an insult.  Think:  Reagan.  What a stud.  (admittedly, the connecticut yankee with close-set eyes looks a bit silly in a ten-gallon hat, and so did his father, but Reagan looked good in that getup, don't you think?)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2005, 09:18:29 PM »

oh, and mexicans call 'em caballeros.  they even put that on the bathroom walls instead of "hombres" in many places.  and uruguayans call 'em vaquenos.  (put a tilde over that n, I'm too lazy)  and I'm told argentines call 'em vaqueros. 

the guatemalan cowboys are the coolest, however.  their costumes look like a cross between a New York Yankees baseball uniform but with big pinstriped bell-bottoms, and bus-drivers uniform.  With smaller hats.  very dapper.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2005, 11:31:40 PM »

we call them drovers, but they usually drove sheep instead of cattle Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 11:51:54 PM »

that a shot at me???  I'm not really scottish, you know.  Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 01:57:30 PM »

Yeah, redneck is insulting, since it's only used to demote people.
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 06:31:08 PM »

I tell you what?! As long as its clear that here at home i call you a cheese eating surrender monkey you can call me cowboy. I really dont care. Im from Texas and i am a Republican. Call me a redneck i honestly dont care, if it makes you feel better about your self go for it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 07:34:12 PM »

A man walks down the street
He says why am I soft in the middle now
Why am I soft in the middle
The rest of my life is so hard
I need a photo-opportunity
I want a shot at redemption
Don't want to end up a cartoon
In a cartoon graveyard
Bonedigger Bonedigger
Dogs in the moonlight
Far away my well-lit door
Mr. Beerbelly Beerbelly
Get these mutts away from me
You know I don't find this stuff amusing anymore
If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
Call me Al.

well, actually call Al Al.  Otherwise there'd be some confusion.  You call me Cowboy too, though.  It's a very sexy way to approach another man, don't you think, cowboy?  Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »

none of you gonna tell me what a nascar is??! 

oh, snap.  now I feel like a heel.  I'm actually pretty good at mathematics and at foreign languages, so I really do have the skills to figure this sort of sh**t out, but anyway I didn't.  In case any of you were wondering I've at least found out that it's an acronym for:
 National Association For Stock Car Auto Racing

D'oh.  I really should have figured that one out.  I Given the acronym I can use my imagination to fill in the gaps.  Just thought I'd share this with y'all in case you were as clueless as I.

as long as we're at it, I was watching Countdown tonight.  Instead of the usual dork, there was this hot black chick hosting the show.  She was talking about some toilet-trained elephants at a Thailand zoo.  At some point she made passing reference to a "courtesy flush"  The smirking tone in her voice made me think that this was a term with which I should be familiar.  Can anyone tell me whether they've heard this term before, and, more importantly, what it means, exactly. 

Thanks.
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2005, 06:40:58 PM »

as long as we're at it, I was watching Countdown tonight.  Instead of the usual dork, there was this hot black chick hosting the show.  She was talking about some toilet-trained elephants at a Thailand zoo.  At some point she made passing reference to a "courtesy flush"  The smirking tone in her voice made me think that this was a term with which I should be familiar.  Can anyone tell me whether they've heard this term before, and, more importantly, what it means, exactly. 

Glad to help you angus. Lets imagin youre at a public restroom and the guy in the stall next to you is making all kinds of odd noises and emmiting aweful smells. Thats when you could request a "courtesy flush" to alleviate some of the foulness.

Glad to be of service
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2005, 08:02:08 PM »

Yeah, redneck is insulting, since it's only used to demote people.

Especially the way the english members throw that word around to any American they don't like. But Americans (at this forum, at least) have the class not to retaliate, not to stoop to their level in namecalling .
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2005, 03:54:42 PM »

Glad to help you angus. Lets imagin youre at a public restroom and the guy in the stall next to you is making all kinds of odd noises and emmiting aweful smells. Thats when you could request a "courtesy flush" to alleviate some of the foulness.

Glad to be of service

much obliged.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2005, 10:53:49 PM »

my interpretation of courtesy flush is slightly different. I thought it had more to do with flushing before you went to the toilet. The Japanese ALWAYS flush before they go to the toilet, so that you can't hear them pooing. The idea has spread to the west, although not really Australia for a number of factors, for when you're out at a pub/party etc.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies