do we have a thread for Quebec protests?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:33:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  do we have a thread for Quebec protests?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: do we have a thread for Quebec protests?  (Read 4229 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »

This thread is the reason why I'm not a fan of talking Canadian politics. Most Canadians, especially young Canadians, are so conditioned to want more, more, more from the government. That attitude really creates an unwelcoming environment for those of us with libertarian or free market views. There's not even a foundation for us to make our points because government is just so huge--the CPC, to me, is even a left-wing party.

Venting aside, I tend to be with Torie on this one. I have no sympathy for the students in Quebec. I'd like to see them pay for tuition in Ontario universities. Compared to us, their education is practically handed to them out of public coffers.

I'd rather see Ontario students pay the same tuition as Quebec students.  But I agree. It's best you libertarians stay out of talking Canadian politics. Or politics in general for that matter.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

He's the voice of the 1%.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2012, 01:02:09 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

This thread is the reason why I'm not a fan of talking Canadian politics. Most Canadians, especially young Canadians, are so conditioned to want more, more, more from the government. That attitude really creates an unwelcoming environment for those of us with libertarian or free market views. There's not even a foundation for us to make our points because government is just so huge--the CPC, to me, is even a left-wing party.

Venting aside, I tend to be with Torie on this one. I have no sympathy for the students in Quebec. I'd like to see them pay for tuition in Ontario universities. Compared to us, their education is practically handed to them out of public coffers.

But I agree. It's best you libertarians stay out of talking Canadian politics. Or politics in general for that matter.

Case in point. Have I been rude to you?

And I associate the Conservative "tough on crime" crap as left-wing... in the sense that it costs an irresponsible amount of money and oversteps the bounds of government. Maybe left-wing wasn't the best term to use. I'll say it's very authoritarian. Either way, the Conservatives overstep the role of government just as much as the NDP would, albeit in different ways. For example, while I appreciate the spirit of the constant back-to-work legislation we see in parliament, I think the government should just keep its nose out of it.

But I apologize--my voice should never be heard and you should disregard my opinions on any topic ever. And we're the entitled ones?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »

And I associate the Conservative "tough on crime" crap as left-wing... in the sense that it costs an irresponsible amount of money

The worse is than it costs next to nothing to federal government, because the cost are to be paid by the provinces, which is terribly hypocritical.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 01:04:12 AM »

Especially when those governments are struggling to subsidize the unrealistic education demands of a bunch of angry students.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »

Especially when those governments are struggling to subsidize the unrealistic education demands of a bunch of angry students.

Oh, if only...
The cost of cancelling the hike are lower than all money lost in patronage, gifts to Liberal donators, various shaddy deals with construction industry, fake reports and overbilling.

I'm not opposed to the idea of an hike, but, given all the mismanagement scandals in universities in Quebec and all the money given by government to its friends/donators, I fear than more money isn't wise.

That government should doesn't have any moral authority to increase any fee or taxes given all its scandals.

I don't mind paying for services, but I do not want to pay gifts for Liberal donators.

Reducing the current crisis to scolarity hike is wrong, as it was only the flame which ingnited all the resentment against Liberals.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

But I agree. It's best you libertarians stay out of talking Canadian politics. Or politics in general for that matter.

Case in point. Have I been rude to you?

Perhaps not personally, but Libertarianism is in itself an ideology that I find quite rude to me.

And I associate the Conservative "tough on crime" crap as left-wing... in the sense that it costs an irresponsible amount of money

Time to go back to politics class. A tough on crime agenda may not be a Libertarian friendly position, but that doesn't mean it's left wing.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

I clarified what I meant. You don't need to be a reviling ass.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies