Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:05:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 78803 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »

A Democratic Super PAC has spent months compiling oppo research on three of the leading contenders: Pawlenty, Portman, and Rubio:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/exclusive-democrats-dump-opposition-research-on-top-vice-presidential-contenders/?=id2

You must be logged in to read this quote.

VeepMistakes.com won't load for me.

In any case, they apparently have 350 pages of files on Portman, 492 on Pawlenty, and 555 on Rubio.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2012, 11:23:54 AM »

A Democratic Super PAC has spent months compiling oppo research on three of the leading contenders: Pawlenty, Portman, and Rubio:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/exclusive-democrats-dump-opposition-research-on-top-vice-presidential-contenders/?=id2

In any case, they apparently have 350 pages of files on Portman, 492 on Pawlenty, and 555 on Rubio.

So they spent millions of dollars to vet the candidates for Romney? I don't see why they were dumb enough to release this before Romney announces.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

So they spent millions of dollars to vet the candidates for Romney? I don't see why they were dumb enough to release this before Romney announces.

I looked through ABC's summary, all "sensationally headlining gruel" sort of stuff. Just like those accidentally uploaded DCCC oppo files on West, Hayworth and others now available on Breitbart.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

Rubio.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_NkYNDmtdwcX3VLazA1OFBORkk/edit?pli=1

Pawlenty.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/99534475/American-Bridge-Pawlenty-Book

Portman.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/99516970/American-Bridge-Portman-Book

But I'm sure Romney's team hasn't found all this stuff already... thanks, whoever did it. Cheesy

My only surprise is that they didn't try Jindal or Ryan.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »

Regarding the Condoleezza Rice rumor...I should point out that just in the last few weeks, Rice has started to become more politically active.  She did her first ever fundraising event last month (for "ShePAC", a pro-GOP women's group):

http://www.politico.com/politicoinfluence/0612/politicoinfluence284.html

then followed that up with a fundraiser for Romney.  She's also endorsed several candidates in GOP primaries this cycle:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/236727-condaleeza-rice-endorses-ben-quayle-in-member-member-race

Maybe the Drudge rumor came from people in Rice's political orbit, who think she'd benefit from veep speculation.  Exactly what her ultimate goal is here, though, I don't know.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »

Conflicting date hints.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/14/romney-talks-vp-prospects-in-e-mail-to-supporters/
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2012, 09:10:03 AM »

Maybe the Drudge rumor came from people in Rice's political orbit, who think she'd benefit from veep speculation.  Exactly what her ultimate goal is here, though, I don't know.

I'm reminded of Jon Huntsman's quixotic, consultant-driven presidential campaign. Could she be angling for a think-tank appointment or SoS? (I don't think there's any reason to believe that media chatter would make a significant difference in bringing this about.) Could she be considering a challenge to Blumenthal in 2016? (That might be a competitive race, but she's always claimed to have no interest in seeking elected office.)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »

I'm reminded of Jon Huntsman's quixotic, consultant-driven presidential campaign. Could she be angling for a think-tank appointment or SoS? (I don't think there's any reason to believe that media chatter would make a significant difference in bringing this about.) Could she be considering a challenge to Blumenthal in 2016? (That might be a competitive race, but she's always claimed to have no interest in seeking elected office.)

It came from Park City donors, Boston forwarded the rumors to Drudge as a false flag to distract from this Bain mess. Rice has no interest in elective office- and she's definitely not head-butting CA's PVI wall in a Senate race.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »

Oh, Christ. I thought that she taught at Yale. Embarrassing. Never mind.

Anyway, while it's clear that the Rice chatter might be a Romney-led attempt to distract from the Bain mess, there's enough evidence to suggest that Morden's speculation is plausible.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »

On FTN just now, Paul Ryan didn't deny that he was being vetted when Schieffer asked him.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »

On FTN just now, Paul Ryan didn't deny that he was being vetted when Schieffer asked him.

Cheesy
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »

Cheesy

While I certainly share the sentiment, we've known that for quite a while now. Question is who shows up besides Romney in [insert swing-state rally here] either this week or sometime in August.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »

My biggest thing with Condi Rice is that she's not from a swing state. California won't be in play for Republicans for years. I'm really, really partial to candidates from a swing state. People like Ryan, Portman or even Marco Rubio.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »

See, I think it's wiser to choose someone who will elevate the ticket in general, not someone who will give Romney a few temporary brownie points in a certain state.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »

That would be almost as good as Condi Rice (for the president's reelection, that is Wink )
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

My biggest thing with Condi Rice is that she's not from a swing state. California won't be in play for Republicans for years. I'm really, really partial to candidates from a swing state. People like Ryan, Portman or even Marco Rubio.

Is Rice 'really' from California or Alabama?

Never mind. It doesn't matter. The same statement is true in opposite directions for both. That much being said, I agree with Hagrid on the whole fetishization of running mates from swing states thing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »

Is Rice 'really' from California or Alabama?

Never mind. It doesn't matter. The same statement is true in opposite directions for both. That much being said, I agree with Hagrid on the whole fetishization of running mates from swing states thing.

She's spent most of her academic career in CA but was raised in AL.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6_mWlAOLn0

She gave a terrible interview on ABC. Does this take her out of the running for VP?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »

I don't think she was ever truly in it. Still think it'll be Portman.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »

I never considered her likely but this just seals the deal. I stick to my prediction with Paul Ryan.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »

What both Ray and NVGonzalez said. She was never really in it, and I'm sticking to my Paul Ryan prediction.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »

Ughck. That was horrendous. The inexperienced female pick has gotta be Martinez, not Ayotte. They don't even compare.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »

If Romney ever thought she'd be good he's a lunatic. No one wants a SECOND New England moderate. Not to mention she brings a whole lot of baggage from her prosecution years past. She's inexperienced. As stated, if you want a woman who was just elected Martinez is the choice.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »

I can't stand women with voices that sound as if they are going to cry at the drop of a hat...   
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

A-Bob: What baggage would that be? She served under a Dem guv who has publicly praised her AG performance in the past...

Hagrid: Romney isn't picking a 18-monther regardless of their gender. Plus Martinez is also centre-right last I heard, a Republican can't get elected statewide otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies