Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:31:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 79340 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2012, 08:09:06 PM »

Pawlenty's made the top 2 last time, presumably McCain's team knew about that. Though given how laughably incompetent they were in "vetting" Palin maybe not. Pawlenty is the least wealthy of this trio. Portman #1, Ryan #2.

McCain never seriously looked at him at all in the final round. He was simply used as a decoy and wasn't even told he was a decoy.

Source?

My recollection is that the reporting had McCain polling his senior aides to see who they thought would be the best pick politically, and Pawlenty had the most support in McCain's inner circle, but McCain overruled them to go with Palin.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »

I'm beginning to grow more confident that the pick will be Paul Ryan. No matter what anyone says or reports, I have a gut feeling that it'll be Paul Ryan. At the end of the day, Pawlenty is safe, but he's too safe. The base will get behind the Romney/Pawlenty ticket, but I highly doubt Independents will. Plus there'll be a bunch of "Obamneycare" ads, etc. Paul Ryan will excite the base and would definitely win over more Indies than Pawlenty would.

Yeah to Obama. People like the Medicare and Social Security they've paid for.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »

Does anyone read the articles?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I made the exact same point 2 weeks ago.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »

Pawlenty's made the top 2 last time, presumably McCain's team knew about that. Though given how laughably incompetent they were in "vetting" Palin maybe not. Pawlenty is the least wealthy of this trio. Portman #1, Ryan #2.

McCain never seriously looked at him at all in the final round. He was simply used as a decoy and wasn't even told he was a decoy.

Source?

My recollection is that the reporting had McCain polling his senior aides to see who they thought would be the best pick politically, and Pawlenty had the most support in McCain's inner circle, but McCain overruled them to go with Palin.

That's also what Game Change says- most of them wanted Pawlenty but Schmidt said they needed a game-changer. McCain agreed with him. Plus Palin at that point in her career was a better fit with McCain's mavericky brand.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #429 on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

On the veep announcement timing, another option besides the one I floated earlier would be to hold it right at the very end of the bus tour, but tease the announcement during the bus tour to get people to pay attention.

Say Romney spends the coming week mulling his VP options, discussing it with his aides and possibly even talking to the short-listers themselves, with an eye towards having a decision by the end of the week.  But when Friday rolls around and the bus tour is launched in, say, either Michigan or Ohio, Romney kicks off the tour by saying that he's going to announce his choice of running mate on Monday  night, when the bus tour concludes.  The campaign will simultaneously leak the short list to the media, and Romney have the media scrutinizing his speeches throughout the rest of the bus tour for clues about who he's going to pick.  It'll be a ploy to get people to pay more attention to him on the bus tour.

Then on Monday, Aug. 13, one day after the end of the Olympics, by which time Ann Romney will be back from London, Romney concludes his bus tour in RNC host city Tampa by announcing his running mate.  The campaign then tries to use the announcement to dominate the media's attention for the subsequent two weeks, leading up to the convention.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #430 on: August 03, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »

We know that the bus tour hits Virginia on Aug. 11, and we know that it'll also hit Ohio (probably before Virginia).  Why not have it start in Michigan, where Romney grew up, and have it make its way to Florida, where the RNC will be held?  I mean, if he's going to announce his running mate at this time, then what's the alternative?  Announce it in Ohio, home state of Portman, one of the shortlisters?  Only makes sense if you're picking Portman.  And even if you are picking Portman, why spoil the surprise by revealing that you're going to make the announcement in his home state?  Michigan seems like it makes the most sense.

In fact, even if the announcement isn't for another two or three weeks, I'll predict that it'll be made in Michigan.

Why Michigan?  Even if the state were to become a possible Romney pickup, he'd be well past 270 from other states by then.  If he's going to make the bus trip a day longer, Iowa and/or Wisconsin are far better States to prepend than Michigan.
milhouse24
« Reply #431 on: August 03, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

Source?

That's also what Game Change says- most of them wanted Pawlenty but Schmidt said they needed a game-changer. McCain agreed with him. Plus Palin at that point in her career was a better fit with McCain's mavericky brand.

But Pawlenty was only considered because he was "outside washington" to McCain's "inside washington" status.

Romney "Should" go with an "inside washington" person in the Senate or House, just because it would help soothe voters that a one term governor will know how to cajole Senators into passing his legislation. 

I'm resigned to the fact that it will be T-Paw, and that somehow T-Paw will miraculously bring out the GOP vote in Iowa and Wisconsin.  Otherwise, its a total lost cause for Romney and he should give up on Ohio and Virginia as well. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #432 on: August 03, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »

Why resigned to T-Paw? There hasn't been a double-governor ticket on either side since Dewey/Warren, as was pointed out earlier in this thread.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #433 on: August 03, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »

We know that the bus tour hits Virginia on Aug. 11, and we know that it'll also hit Ohio (probably before Virginia).  Why not have it start in Michigan, where Romney grew up, and have it make its way to Florida, where the RNC will be held?  I mean, if he's going to announce his running mate at this time, then what's the alternative?  Announce it in Ohio, home state of Portman, one of the shortlisters?  Only makes sense if you're picking Portman.  And even if you are picking Portman, why spoil the surprise by revealing that you're going to make the announcement in his home state?  Michigan seems like it makes the most sense.

In fact, even if the announcement isn't for another two or three weeks, I'll predict that it'll be made in Michigan.

Why Michigan?  Even if the state were to become a possible Romney pickup, he'd be well past 270 from other states by then.  If he's going to make the bus trip a day longer, Iowa and/or Wisconsin are far better States to prepend than Michigan.

Because it's Romney's home state (at least, where he grew up), and a quasi-swing state, and it borders on ultimate swing state Ohio.  In recent cycles, candidates have typically either announced their running mate choice in their own home state or in a swing state.  Romney will try to claim Michigan as his home state, and announce his pick there, but not spend too much time there, then a few hours later he and his running mate roll into Ohio and spend the day campaigning there.

I'll stick with that until knocked down by hard news on this: Romney either announces his pick in Michigan (just before the bus tour, or else later in the month), or he announces it in Tampa at the end of the bus tour.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #434 on: August 03, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »

Both Portman's and Ryan's home states are swing states, so if it either of them is the choice then an announcement that isn't made at the end of the bus trip is likely to be in their home state, not one of Romney's.  Maybe if Pawlenty is the choice it'll be announced in Michigan, but there are plenty of other logical choices.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #435 on: August 04, 2012, 12:23:09 AM »

Both Portman's and Ryan's home states are swing states, so if it either of them is the choice then an announcement that isn't made at the end of the bus trip is likely to be in their home state, not one of Romney's.  Maybe if Pawlenty is the choice it'll be announced in Michigan, but there are plenty of other logical choices.

In recent election cycles, presidential nominees have avoided making their announcement in the VP pick's home state to avoid tipping off the press in advance as to who it'll be.  They either announce it in their own home state or a swing state.

Kerry actually went farther than that, and didn't even have Edwards with him when he made his announcement, to help stop the news from leaking.  I believe he announced it in Pennsylvania near his wife's home, while Edwards was in North Carolina.  Then later in the day, Edwards flew out to make a joint appearance with him.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #436 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:48 AM »

In recent election cycles, presidential nominees have avoided making their announcement in the VP pick's home state to avoid tipping off the press in advance as to who it'll be.  They either announce it in their own home state or a swing state.

Kerry actually went farther than that, and didn't even have Edwards with him when he made his announcement, to help stop the news from leaking.  I believe he announced it in Pennsylvania near his wife's home, while Edwards was in North Carolina.  Then later in the day, Edwards flew out to make a joint appearance with him.

Most recent running mate picks have not been from close election swing states.  Gore in 1992 was the last and was announced from Arkansas, but Clinton was a sitting governor at the time.  Romney is free to make his announcement from anywhere he chooses.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #437 on: August 04, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »

Most recent running mate picks have not been from close election swing states.  Gore in 1992 was the last and was announced from Arkansas, but Clinton was a sitting governor at the time.  Romney is free to make his announcement from anywhere he chooses.

Yes, but as I said, if you announce the pick in the running mate's home state, then you're tipping people off about who you're picking and it kills the surprise.

Maybe Romney won't care about the surprise.  Maybe he'll be happy for people to know who he's going to pick a day or more before he announces it.  But if he does care, then it seems like a bad idea.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #438 on: August 04, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »

I'm beginning to grow more confident that the pick will be Paul Ryan. No matter what anyone says or reports, I have a gut feeling that it'll be Paul Ryan. At the end of the day, Pawlenty is safe, but he's too safe. The base will get behind the Romney/Pawlenty ticket, but I highly doubt Independents will. Plus there'll be a bunch of "Obamneycare" ads, etc. Paul Ryan will excite the base and would definitely win over more Indies than Pawlenty would.

Ryan budget much?

Do you really think that more Indies would like Pawlenty? Even with the Ryan Budget, do you seriously think Independents will say "yeah, Tim Pawlenty FTW!!!!"?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #439 on: August 04, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »

On the veep announcement timing, another option besides the one I floated earlier would be to hold it right at the very end of the bus tour, but tease the announcement during the bus tour to get people to pay attention.

Say Romney spends the coming week mulling his VP options, discussing it with his aides and possibly even talking to the short-listers themselves, with an eye towards having a decision by the end of the week.  But when Friday rolls around and the bus tour is launched in, say, either Michigan or Ohio, Romney kicks off the tour by saying that he's going to announce his choice of running mate on Monday  night, when the bus tour concludes.  The campaign will simultaneously leak the short list to the media, and Romney have the media scrutinizing his speeches throughout the rest of the bus tour for clues about who he's going to pick.  It'll be a ploy to get people to pay more attention to him on the bus tour.

Then on Monday, Aug. 13, one day after the end of the Olympics, by which time Ann Romney will be back from London, Romney concludes his bus tour in RNC host city Tampa by announcing his running mate.  The campaign then tries to use the announcement to dominate the media's attention for the subsequent two weeks, leading up to the convention.

This isn't a bad strategy...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #440 on: August 04, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »

Guys, there's a reason why Pawlenty was named Least Influential Person in the World.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #441 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

Guys, there's a reason why Pawlenty was named Least Influential Person in the World.

But in all fairness, shouldn't that be Least Influential Governor in the U.S.?

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #442 on: August 04, 2012, 06:02:45 PM »

Jindal, speaking to the RedState Gathering, endorses Ryan for Veep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXHWqm2A3vI&feature=player_embedded
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: August 04, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »

Good.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #444 on: August 05, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »

Karl's latest take.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/sunday-sound-heard-on-this-week-12/

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #445 on: August 05, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »

He needs a game changer....Rubio is that pick unless it is some one very unexpected
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #446 on: August 05, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2012, 12:58:33 PM by Romney/Ryan 2012! »

IMO, Karl's basically saying that Romney is leaning towards Portlenty but the pendulum is moving towards bold. So the longer the wait... more likely we get a bold pick. One rumored date is this Friday but the Olympics aren't over and IIRC, Ann will still be in London watching Rafalca in the dressage finals. More likely next week sometime IMO.

Politico on Ryan's weekend. Though the stuff they mention seems to me like the mini-tempest over T-Paw's website 2 weeks ago... too obvious.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/08/paul-ryans-weekend-131130.html
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #447 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

I respect your admiration for Ryan... if he is the pick, I'd vote for him for VP along with his running mate. However- I believe Rubio is far more dynamic and charismatic and would do more good in Florida then Ryan would in Wisconsin

We agree... Romney needs a game changer
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #448 on: August 05, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

If it's early next week, it'll likely be Pawlenty, if it's later next week, it'll be Ryan.

Rubio's become the dark horse.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »

Interesting how the Rubio buzz has perked up.

I agree that he's gotta pick someone dynamic. Obama's got Mitt into a bit of a corner...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies