Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 78802 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 18, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2012, 11:31:48 AM by Romney/Ryan 2012! »

Portman says he doesn't want it. Team Romney is putting out more conflicting news- NRO says Friday, NYDN says when Romney returns from overseas. One of the reasons I don't think the rollout this week- way too much surrogate work. I don't recall Biden/Bayh/Kaine doing that just before Obama picked Biden.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rob-portman-says-hes-staying-in-the-senate-audio-2012-7
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #301 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

I wonder if Portman has already been told it's not him.

Kind of strange for THE most betted on pick to be saying he doesn't want it so close to when we're expecting an announcement.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #302 on: July 18, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

News of Biden's Secret Service protection was leaked 3 days out- I just checked Google News. If the announcement's Friday and we're at Wednesday... as I said, doubtful.

Portman: If Romney wanted Bush on the ballot he would have picked Jeb.

Most betted on: Isn't that Pawlenty?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #303 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »

Pawlenty was leading briefly, but Portman is back on top at Intrade.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #304 on: July 18, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »

Apparently Pawlenty's site is down for updating, but surely it wouldn't be this obvious. Would it?

Intrade: Who cares what Intrade says?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #305 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

Ryan's a smart guy. He could hold his own against Biden.
understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!
We have a nominee for understatement of the year! 

I almost shot a mouthful of my drink against the screen reading that. 

guy in politics for maybe a dozen years vs a guy in politics for 40?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #306 on: July 18, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

Romney's going to be headlining a CA fundraiser with George Shultz and Meg Whitman among others on Sunday, throwing this alleged schedule into even more doubt.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »

News of Biden's Secret Service protection was leaked 3 days out- I just checked Google News.

Link?  IIRC, it leaked out on Friday night, and the networks definitively broke the news that it was Biden late Friday night / early Saturday morning.

But news of the specific time and place that the announcement would be made was leaked out 3 days in advance for both Biden and Palin.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #308 on: July 18, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/08/us-secret-servi/
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/07/rob_portman_comments_sets_off.html

Sources who would not talk on the record told The Plain Dealer that too much is being read into Portman’s comments and that nothing has changed. He has said for several months that he is happy serving the people of Ohio in the Senate. But that was a classic non-denial denial, and as Portman has acknowledged before, you don’t exactly run to be the running mate. The presidential nominee picks you.

So Portman could still be the pick.

I simply cannot see Pawlenty as a heavyweight nominee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »

That wasn't three days out.  That was just a few hours out.  Time stamp on the article is August 22 at 10:50pm, which was just like an hour before all the networks confirmed that was Biden.  Obama's campaign then officially confirmed it in the early morning hours, before Biden made his joint appearance w/ Obama on Saturday morning.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #311 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »

Guy who is a clownish buffoon, wrong on every foreign policy issue for 30+ years, and eating in dinners that have been closed for 20.
vs.
the guy with the best combination of intelligence, work ethic/morality, and speaking ability in Washington.     
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »

Guy who is a clownish buffoon, wrong on every foreign policy issue for 30+ years, and eating in dinners that have been closed for 20.
vs.
the guy with the best combination of intelligence, work ethic/morality, and speaking ability in Washington.     
I agree with your comments about Biden but do not believe Ryan is a good speaker at all...that is one of his weaknesses
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »

vs.
I agree with your comments about Biden but do not believe Ryan is a good speaker at all...that is one of his weaknesses
well it starts with
1) being really really smart
which leads to
2) being able to answer anything off the top of his head better than anyone
which leads to
3)being the master of compressing complex thoughts/things/numbers into perfect soundbites.
which means
4) He is great on TV and can do a million interviews with no problem.
5)He is a happy optimistic guy despite having the most realistic understanding of gathering calamities.  He can bash an opponent with that advantage anytime he wants.   

I mean he never stumbles on words or numbers, the guy is smooth and concise, packing every sentence with information.  How is that a weakness?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »

No gravitas... you could tell me he is competing for a college debate team and I would believe you. He looks like a twig and sounds like his jewels haven't yet dropped
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »

No gravitas... you could tell me he is competing for a college debate team and I would believe you. He looks like a twig and sounds like his jewels haven't yet dropped
OK, you think he is too young.  I can see that, weakness at speaking is the opposite of reality though.  The guy has "jewels" enough to be the first/only guy to put a serious plan on the table.  Budget chairman carries some gravitas IMO.     
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »

OK, you think he is too young.  I can see that, weakness at speaking is the opposite of reality though.  The guy has "jewels" enough to be the first/only guy to put a serious plan on the table.  Budget chairman carries some gravitas IMO.     
Don't get me wrong- I like Ryan and would be happy if he is named VP. I simply don't believe most would agree with you that he is a great speaker
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »

Don't get me wrong- I like Ryan and would be happy if he is named VP. I simply don't believe most would agree with you that he is a great speaker
I could see people interpreting "great speaker" differently.  He has great speaking skills (as I outlined).  He isn't a motivational, rabble rousing, shoot thrills up your leg guy very often because he's busy being serious.  He does have the ability to be inspirational, but I admit he can't pull that off all the time.     
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »

Pawlenty was practically screaming about how un-boring he is, even offering to "show my tats" for Cavuto.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78687.html
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »

Pawlenty was practically screaming about how un-boring he is, even offering to "show my tats" for Cavuto.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78687.html
Wow. Trying too hard there T-Paw.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »

Yeah. I wonder how long he practiced that one?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »

This is a Pawtern which we've seen all too often. Wimpiness followed by hilarious overcompensation and hasty retreat. Plus who says "tats" as short for tattoos? Reminds me of when he made awkward Lady Gaga references during the debates.

Apparently one reason why Romney supposedly likes him is because he's willing to do literally anything they ask. Cause a yes man is totally who he's looking for as Veep.

Finally, in case the "Pawlenty's site thing is down" thing is up- apparently that's not how redesign is done. Another part of the head fake.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

If Romney picks Pawlenty, I think the American people are going to sleep through the VP debate. Most boring Republican pol ever.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »

Just got an email from the Romney campaign:

Friend,

How amazing would it be to personally meet Mitt and his choice for VP during this historic campaign? You've still got 48 hours to enter for a chance to meet America's Comeback Team -- don't miss out.

Donate $3 today to be automatically entered for the chance to join Mitt and his VP pick at a future event.

Good luck!

Abe Adams
Deputy Digital Director
Romney for President

Remember how they said it was each week until the announcement to enter this contest? Now it's down to 48 hours. Methinks the announcement is coming this week.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: July 18, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »

If it's this week, I feel like it's Pawlenty. If it's later, I feel like it's Ryan.

With Romney set to unleash hell on Obama (cocaine, Blago, etc.), I was starting to think he'd leave the VP announcement for later. Both a VP announcement and a negative ad frenzy would be big distractions from the tax returns issue, so why would he need both? Seems like overkill. Especially when a VP announcement isn't likely to backfire.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies