Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:16:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 79599 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: May 26, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

An interesting statement from the chairman of the Massachusetts Republican party, which I have no doubt sums up the criteria Romney is using in his VP selection.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/romneys-vice-presidential-checklist/

“The first thing is he needs somebody who the people of the country will look at that individual and say if anything ever god forbid happened to Mitt Romney, this person could be president,” says Robert Maginn, chairman of the Massachusetts Republican party.

“So it’s almost like–the first rule is don’t be cute, don’t try to pick somebody who is going to bring a swing state, or bring a demographic, you pick the person who you honestly believe could step in the Oval Office and run the free world and run the country. ”

“The second thing is, there’s gotta be good personal chemistry. The president and the vice president have to work together very well. So there’s a personal connection that has to be there, they have to be able to help each other, advise each other,” Maginn explains.

“Those are the two most important factors and then you can say that from there, you can think about what balance does the person bring to the ticket?” Maginn asks.

That balance of course offers the best lead for speculation. Who balances out the successful businessman and former governor of Massachusetts?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »

Rubio is an interesting public figure, no doubt.  But the VP pick?  No.  Romney will pick someone who will be able to step into the Presidency if necessary, and be an able President.  Rubio hardly fits that requirement at this time.

I'm telling you, the pick is going to be Rob Portman.  He has the experience, the capability, and the smarts, and he even looks Vice Presidential, and Presidential for that matter.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »

I'm telling you, the pick is going to be Rob Portman.  He has the experience, the capability, and the smarts, and he even looks Vice Presidential, and Presidential for that matter.

So you've given up on Lindsay Graham?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=109384.msg2328874#msg2328874

For sure.  A lot changes in 2 1/2 years.

The man is Portman.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »

Makes for a good show, but Portman is as we speak working on his VP acceptance speech for Tampa.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

I find Condoleezza Rice incredibly intriguing.  Smart, educated, experienced, incredible foreign policy credentials, which Romney lacks.

I know she is pro choice, however, I believe the Reublican base would still vote for Romney with Rice on the ticket regardless.  They certainly are not going to vote for Obama.

She is clearly not a "boring white guy."  She is incredibly exciting and highly qualified.  I know her Bush ties may be a drawback to some, but she is her own person, and would excite independents, moderates, and swing voters.     

http://news.yahoo.com/condoleezza-rice-speech-stirs-vice-presidential-talk-140316502.html

“Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice delivered a 15-minute luncheon speech on foreign and domestic policy Saturday that donors described as electrifying and had attendees on their feet twice,” said Rucker. “One donor said Rice was ‘the star of the show,’ while another said that, if it was a vice presidential tryout, ‘she hit it out of the park.’”

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

As much as I love Condi, and as brilliant and qualified as she is, I think we all know that Mitt is not going to take that extraordinary risk of picking a pro life candidate.

A Romney Rice ticket and administration would be my dream for America though.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »

As much as I love Condi, and as brilliant and qualified as she is, I think we all know that Mitt is not going to take that extraordinary risk of picking a pro life candidate.

My thoughts. America needs Romney/Rice. Between Romney's brilliance on economics and Rice's brilliance on foreign policy, those two would easily have one of the best administrations we've had, and would heal many of our problems.

Agreed, but I think we all know she won't be the VP nominee, unfortunately.  But President Romney could call upon her to accept the office of Secretary of State yet again. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »

My thoughts. America needs Romney/Rice. Between Romney's brilliance on economics and Rice's brilliance on foreign policy, those two would easily have one of the best administrations we've had, and would heal many of our problems.

Agreed, but I think we all know she won't be the VP nominee, unfortunately.  But President Romney could call upon her to accept the office of Secretary of State yet again. 

I've given a little thought to who our cabinet will be - She'd be excellent. I also would be happy with Senator Lugar, despite his age. It's a shame - she'd do much better than Portman will do as our VP.

Maybe Condi can run after Mitt's 8 years are up? She wouldn't be too old.
Whoa there cowboy, don't count your horses before they get to the stable. My guess is Romney-Pawlenty. I wouldnt go about picking a cabinet yet, but Luger would be great at the state dept. or defense dept. Condi would only further the Obama message of taking us back to Bush (I.E. illegal Iraq War, failure in Afganistan). And 8 years of Mitt? My guess is, if the Governor manages to eek out a victory in November, in the words of Rupert Mourdoch "Doubtful", Clinton/Scweitzer would swamp Romney in 2016. And I'm talking 400 or more EVs.

Clinton-Scweitzer 438
Romney-Pawlenty 100

What an absolutely ridiculously hackish map.

And some have called me a hack.

My friend, any acts of  hackishness I may have committed pales in comparison to the hatchet job you have done on anything resembling reality or common sense.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:58:08 PM »

The American electorate is far too polarized to produce this map anytime in the near future.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/07/rob_portman_comments_sets_off.html

Sources who would not talk on the record told The Plain Dealer that too much is being read into Portman’s comments and that nothing has changed. He has said for several months that he is happy serving the people of Ohio in the Senate. But that was a classic non-denial denial, and as Portman has acknowledged before, you don’t exactly run to be the running mate. The presidential nominee picks you.

So Portman could still be the pick.

I simply cannot see Pawlenty as a heavyweight nominee.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »

I still say Portman.

As a CNN guest commentator said the other day-

Portman is as solid as a rock and as safe as a seat belt.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

Guys, there's a reason why Pawlenty was named Least Influential Person in the World.

But in all fairness, shouldn't that be Least Influential Governor in the U.S.?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »

I agree Thune would be a great pick.  But he has not figured in the prominently discussed speculation, Portman, Ryan, Pawlenty, Rubio, Jindal.

Or perhaps this has all been carefully orchestrated by the Romney campaign to throw the press and the pundits off track.

If Thune has been thoroughly vetted it would appear to have been under the most confidential circumstances imaginable.

But with Thune, what's not to love?  He has a lot going for him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies